Final nail in the coffin?

Gainzo

I don't care why he's a Boston Red Sox fan. I do care why he roots for a team from New York, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Three states that probably want nothing to do with each other.

He says he roots for the Pittsburgh Penguins because he played with them in a copy of an NHL video game. Does that sound like a good reason to anybody? That may not be bangwagoning, but that has to be the worst reason ever to root for a sports franchise.

Those are the type of people I wouldn't want rooting for the Jets, Magic, or Yankees.

I'm beginning to think you don't even know exactly what bandwagoning is. :P Why would you care why he's a Penquin fan?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I said he wasn't one, but he sure has the crappiest way to root for a sports team. How do you say your a fan of a team by playing a stupid video game?

You must love me because you can't get me off your mind and keep me out your mouth.

Oh please judge my 8 year old self. That makes so much sense.

Root for the teams you're supposed to root for.

So if Im not borned and raised in New York, Boston, Chicago, exc...I'm disallowed from being a "real" fan? Total BS. I grew up in NC, before the Panthers were around...my dad a Redskins fan and my mom a Cowboys fan. I decided to pull for the Jets. What was the reason? I dont know, and I could care less now....all I know is when the Jets play, I get just as much if not more into those games than you do. I root my heart out, and when they lose, sometimes I can hardly stand it.

I sat halfway on my knees, jaw dropped, speechless when Brien missed those kicks in Pittsburgh, when I HONESTLY believed that was "our year." I wear my Jets gear every friday before a game, and every sunday/monday we play, regardless of our schedule, quarterback, headcoach, or flag squad. I AM a Jets fan, not because of where I was born, but because I chose them....because as retarded as it might sound, I love the Jets. I always will, whether we have Chad Pennington or Brett Favre, Herm Edwards or Bill Parcells, and Leon Hess or Woody Johnson.

If Carl wants to pull for a team because he played a video game with them, then that's his right, and that makes him no less of a fan than you, me, Jack Nicholson or Santa Clause. You know why? Because it's not always about where you were born, who your parents rooted for, or the first time you watched the team in person. If you stick by a team no matter what, through thick and through thin...and especially if your day, week, or for some people I suppose life are effected by whether or not that team wins...you're a fan.

The team I'm supposed to root for is the New York Jets, regardless of where I live. For Carl, it's the Pens. Good for him, he's a fan.

And btw--gg Yanks. It was a must win, but whatever chances the Yanks still have depend on A-rod actually hitting. I'd say you're not done yet...but things better change REAL quick.

As for Beckett...not good. Not good at all...

Good God what a truely classless bunch we have here today. It probably has nothing to do with losing 2 out of 3 games in a must win series to the World Champion RED SOX.

Know what sucks? How you can't put a 26 in front of that blue World Champion.

By the way, this thread looks like fun. Who should I be calling bitch ass bandwagon homers? Just wondering.

Oh, and Thai, I'm just messing with you. :P

I said he wasn't one, but he sure has the crappiest way to root for a sports team. How do you say your a fan of a team by playing a stupid video game?

Because that person was a kid, who played as a certain team. Over time that kid payed more attention to that team and they grew on him. Are you seriously going to judge someone's childhood self? If so, that's pathetic.

By the way--I've had enough of your hypocritical real fan bull****. A region shouldn't have anything to do with what teams you can or can not root for. So what if Carl's not from Pennsylvania, he liked the team since he was a kid and that's all that matters. I have no problems with whom your a fan of either. Why? Because you haven't jumped on any bandwagon that I know of. All that matters is staying a loyal fan. As far as I know, everyone in this thread has remained loyal to their particular team since their teens. So you can just leave the real fan card behind you.

Can we return to civilized discussion? What does any of this crap do? What does talking smack do when you're 6 games out of the Wild Card with 20 games left? I thought you guys would be beyond this. I guess not.

Because that person was a kid, who played as a certain team. Over time that kid payed more attention to that team and they grew on him. Are you seriously going to judge someone's childhood self? If so, that's pathetic.

By the way--I've had enough of your hypocritical real fan bull****. A region shouldn't have anything to do with what teams you can or can not root for. So what if Carl's not from Pennsylvania, he liked the team since he was a kid and that's all that matters. I have no problems with whom your a fan of either. Why? Because you haven't jumped on any bandwagon that I know of. All that matters is staying a loyal fan. As far as I know, everyone in this thread has remained loyal to their particular team since their teens. So you can just leave the real fan card behind you.

Can we return to civilized discussion? What does any of this crap do? What does talking smack do when you're 6 games out of the Wild Card with 20 games left? I thought you guys would be beyond this. I guess not.

What a really great post and right on target. Where you live means nothing as far as who you root for. I don't think anyone here needs to explain themselves. + rep for..... oops, never mind.

Root for the teams you're supposed to root for.

Why does it offend you so much who I cheer for? My passion wouldn't be the same for other teams as the passion I have for the ones I currently have rooted for. I wouldn't have appreciated 2004 for the Red Sox if I hadn't lived through the torture of 1999, 2003, and all of the years even earlier when they were borderline terrible. And when the Jets eventually win a Super Bowl, I will appreciate it so much more because of living through the last 20+ years of failures (especially 1998, how much that hurt).

You see it isn't where you are from or who your parents follow that makes you a fan. It's what you put into being a fan so that you can get the most out of it.

Why does it offend you so much who I cheer for? My passion wouldn't be the same for other teams as the passion I have for the ones I currently have rooted for. I wouldn't have appreciated 2004 for the Red Sox if I hadn't lived through the torture of 1999, 2003, and all of the years even earlier when they were borderline terrible. And when the Jets eventually win a Super Bowl, I will appreciate it so much more because of living through the last 20+ years of failures (especially 1998, how much that hurt).

You see it isn't where you are from or who your parents follow that makes you a fan. It's what you put into being a fan so that you can get the most out of it.

Nicely put Carl

Archived