Expanded season could come by 2010

EXPANDED SEASON COMING IN 2010, AT THE EARLIEST

Posted by Mike Florio on August 28, 2008, 10:43 a.m.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell visited on Thursday with Dan Patrick, and Goodell talked about the possible expansion of the regular season and, in turn, the potential shrinkage of the preseason. (The audio will be available on demand at Dan’s web site.)

Goodell said that a change would come in 2010 at the earliest, and that it would be tied to the ongoing labor agreement talks with the union and the broadcasting contracts with the networks.

But the contracts with FOX, CBS, and NBC run through the 2011 season, and the deal with ESPN expires after 2013. Thus, any deal done before 2013 would need to take into account a system for paying the NFL for the extra regular-season games.

An expansion of the regular season most likely would result in a reduction of the preseason, since Goodell mentioned several times the concept of the 20-game season. Goodell also might have committed an unintended slip regarding the number of additional regular-season games that the league is targeting when he said that the league would not be expanding the season, but that the league would only be “converting two preseason games.” If they keep the 20-game season, this would mean 18 regular-season contests.

But we’re not sure that the best approach is to go straight to 18. We think that it makes more sense to play 17 regular-season games initially, especially since it gives the league sixteen games that could be played at neutral sites in other countries (and, as we’ve argued in the past, Los Angeles) without having any team play more home games than any other team.

With 18 regular-season games, there would still be complaints and concerns regarding the inequity of some teams having more home games than others, unless 32 games are played at neutral sites.

Regardless, there are details that can be worked out at the appropriate time. For now, the good news is that the regular season could grow a bit, and the preseason could in turn shrink a lot.

Don't do it. Do not need to fix something that isn't broken. Keep the format how it is. I'm sure teams would rather see their star players being hurt in Game 3 of the Preseason in order to have two weeks to work in a substitute as opposed to Week 1 of the Regular Season.

I've been advocating this for a decade now-pre season sucks-you lose players that you shouldn't lose in games that mean nothing. My proposal has been some kind of roster exemptions for the first 2 games-like have 53 man squads instead of 45-two PS games and 18 RS...

So we'd rather see the players be lost in Week 1 or 2 than in Week 3 or 4 of the Preseason (stars never play in Week 4 to begin with)? The coaches are given more time to find substitutes and work them in if an injury were to occur in Preseason Week 3 than if it happened Week 1 Regular Season. Keep the format the way it is. I'm tired of the people crying about injuries. Injuries will happen whether it be Week 3 Preseason or Week 1 Regular Season.

Mike Florio is an idiot. 18 games means 9 home games and 9 road games for everyone. What inequity is he talking about? Or am I the idiot that doesn't know math or something? Man that'd suck if I'm the stupid one that can't understand something really simple like this.

Mike Florio is an idiot. 18 games means 9 home games and 9 road games for everyone. What inequity is he talking about? Or am I the idiot that doesn't know math or something? Man that'd suck if I'm the stupid one that can't understand something really simple like this.
Not if they have neutral site games. ;)

The NFL has talked about one of two things:

3 Preseason - 17 regular season with one game per team in another country or 2 Preseason - 18 regular season with eiether 9/9 or one game in another country therefore leaving some teams to play 9 at home, 8 on the road or vice versa.

How long would players put up with this?

They already have half the career length and 1/5 the money of a baseball player.

This would just raise the risk of career-ending injury, with no financial incentive.

I love to watch the game, but my kids will play baseball/basketball/hockey before they ever see a football field.

I've been advocating this for a decade now-pre season sucks-you lose players that you shouldn't lose in games that mean nothing. My proposal has been some kind of roster exemptions for the first 2 games-like have 53 man squads instead of 45-two PS games and 18 RS...

You'll see MORE INJURIES if they do this. Why? Starters who may not be ready yet for a full game will go a full game in what is essentially preseason game #3.

You'll see MORE INJURIES if they do this. Why? Starters who may not be ready yet for a full game will go a full game in what is essentially preseason game #3.

Exactly. The starters need this and new players need to get acclimated into new teams and systems. Changing the system to 2-18 would be stupid and we'd see some pretty sloppy Football for the first three, four games each season. I love Football, but making it 2-18 is just dumb. I want more and more but thats exactly the point, they have to keep the demand high and the want for it high. This will lower it.

Exactly. The starters need this and new players need to get acclimated into new teams and systems. Changing the system to 2-18 would be stupid and we'd see some pretty sloppy Football for the first three, four games each season. I love Football, but making it 2-18 is just dumb. I want more and more but thats exactly the point, they have to keep the demand high and the want for it high. This will lower it.

Ehhh.. I don't know if that would lower the demand for football or not, but you will see sloppier football early on.. just like you see now, but sloppier...

Gotta disagree with both of you. If you only have 2 preseason games, you'll be ready in 2. Nobody even plays the 4th one, so I don't see how it helps to prepare.

And the injury thing is stupid. You can get injured in any game. If you aren't ready to play pro football after an entire training camp, well then maybe you've got the wrong profession. Maybe you should get an office job instead.

Archived