THE NEW JETS STADIUM/PSL: I

BaumerJet

If your seat is in the upper bowl now, it won`t be in 2010:

logoprinter.gif

August 28, 2008

Sports Business

Two Teams, One Stadium, Two Seat-Licensing Plans

By RICHARD SANDOMIR

The Jets’ and Giants’ personal seat license plans for their new stadium are as different as their histories and as dissimilar as the West Coast offense and a smash-mouth running attack. But each scheme has the same goal: to persuade fans to help finance the stadium.

And plenty of fans will buy those licenses, I hope without too much sacrifice.

The teams, by the way, are making few sacrifices — unless you count paying off some of their debt real fast. That is why they need the P.S.L. cash — it will flow in quickly and sate the Jets’ and Giants’ desire for upfront cash to make their bond payments.

The chief difference between the plans is how you will choose your seats — if you can afford to sit in the $1.6 billion (and counting) stadium for 10 games a year.

Central to the Jets’ strategy is seniority, not where you sit now.

Take pictures of your beloved old seats. They won’t matter in the new joint.

There is no location, location, location in JetsThink. In its place will be a virtual line of about 22,000 season-ticket holders, arranged by seniority. Seat choice will be made by your place in the queue and your ability to pay. Turn down one option and you are eligible for the next one and the next one, keeping your place in line, until you might land in the upper deck. That will be a safe haven without licenses attached to the 27,000 seats.

Woody Johnson, the Jets’ owner and chief salesman, boasted on Tuesday that there wasn’t a bad seat anywhere. Maybe. Fans won’t know until their posteriors are settled in them in 2010.

The Giants, having moved first in the P.S.L. dance, chose a more conventional route: They offered fans first dibs on licenses in the equivalent locations they are now in. By doing so, the Giants valued fan routine and tried to keep enclaves together (assuming they could afford to do so). Neighborhoods splinter when property values get too high, especially when those values are unilaterally imposed by the teams, or, more aptly, the landlords.

(The Jets will let fans band together to keep their clans of rooters intact, but those seats will be allocated based on the least-senior member.)

The Giants have told fans that they may not get their first choice and urged them to give second, third and fourth options. Seniority will determine where they end up.

You are entitled to hate both plans. The Giants and Jets didn’t ask if you wanted to pay one-time fees of $1,000 to $25,000 for the right to continue to buy season tickets.

Welcome to their world. You’re just helping to pay for it. Both plans will cause fan dislocations, especially in the most expensive sections. I think the sections behind the home bench will be movement hotbeds. The Giants are selling licenses to those 2,113 seats for $20,000 each; the Jets will auction them, hoping the market will bring them prices above their highest fixed license price in two other sections of $25,000 each.

I don’t think we need Adam Smith to divine that wealthy fans will snap up the Giants’ most coveted seats, sending some of the longest-tenured, lesser-heeled fans into lower-priced asylum elsewhere. And I fear the Jets’ auction will create a little Monaco.

I’d like to believe the Jets when they say that their seniority-based plan is pure because it rewards the hardiest devotees. But I can’t help envisioning a sales free-for-all, especially as fans who would like to keep watching from the upper deck engage in a real-estate battle with those seeking refuge from lower levels to higher regions where licenses are not sold. The Jets acknowledge that the possibility exists that fans who want to be in the upper reaches will be displaced by refugees from the mezzanine or lower levels.

So here’s a Giants advantage — fans in Giants Stadium’s upper deck need pay $1,000 to relocate to an equivalent place in the new stadium, seemingly regardless of seniority.

I’d also like to believe that both teams will have smoother-than-anticipated sales processes and there will be enough movement between the upper and lower reaches of the new stadium to ameliorate fan misery and dislocation. But far from everybody will be happy, except for those in prime positions on the Jets’ seniority list or those who can afford the highest-priced licenses. But for most Jets and Giants fans, their orderly world — one in which other teams sold P.S.L.’s — has been uprooted.

One aspect of the Jets’ plan is clearly superior to the Giants’. The Jets said that they would do their own P.S.L. financing and hold interest rates (for terms of up to five years) to the high single digits. The Giants are routing fans looking for financing to Wachovia, where the interest rate will be based on individual creditworthiness. The Giants never intended to absorb some of the interest costs to assist their fans. But John Mara, the Giants’ co-owner, said recently of the bank, “We’ve hammered at them to be reasonable.”

E-mail: sportbiz@nytimes.com

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/28/sports/football/28sandomir.html?ref=sports

Wait a second...if there are 27,000 upper level seats and 22,000 season ticket holders, wouldn't that guarantee everyone an upper level ticket at the least? So shouldn't there be no worrying about having to move up and you can't afford it?

Sucks for people wanting to keep lower level seats, but you should still be able to get upper level tickets no matter your seniority.

Wait a second...if there are 27,000 upper level seats and 22,000 season ticket holders, wouldn't that guarantee everyone an upper level ticket at the least? So shouldn't there be no worrying about having to move up and you can't afford it?

Sucks for people wanting to keep lower level seats, but you should still be able to get upper level tickets no matter your seniority.

I guess it depends on how many people elect to move up, if it's more then the amount of new seats and people who elect to move down, it can become a problem.

22,000 ACCOUNT with each account having how many tickets?

If each account has an average of 3 or 4 tickets that 27,000 is very small.

Both plans have pros and cons from what I gather, the reason the Giants didn't do a seniority thing is that they have ticket holders for much much much longer and it would have been a nightmare.

Giants plan is great because everyone can stay in their current section/seats. The bad part is those in the high PSL sections who can't pay, they are SOL.

Jets plan is great because it gives everyone a chance at a seat, but by seniority so those who can't afford to stay in the high PSL can still go to Jets game for the next 40 years.

BZ

Even if there are 22,000 season ticket holders, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is no way those 22,000 people have only one seat each. If each person has at least 2 tickets, and even that's a low number, that's 44,000 seats.

People are going to get bumped. It's just the reality of the whole deal.

I don't have a dog in this fight. So let me ask a question and if the answers are as I think, it should put some minds at ease.

Do most Jet fans prefer the cheap seats?

I know at Gillette most folks are trying to move to more expensive seats. E.g. the folks with $65 corner seats would jump at a chance to pay for $169 sideline seats for the better view. Only very rarely would someone want to give up the $169 seats to switch to the $65 seats so they can save money. And that there is an annual migration with people coming off the wait list going to the cheap corners. I am not saying everyone want to pay more for a better seat, some folks prefer spending the least amount for the game experience and turn down the opportunity to pay more for better seats just that in general the expensive seats are the ones in the most demand and the cheap ones are the least in demand.

My understanding is that is true in most stadiums.

Assuming the same is true of the Jets. If it is, then you should see more folks who are currently in the upper level trying to get the "good" PSL seats. At least enough of them to balance out the folks in the expensive seats wanting to move to the cheap seats.

Hey Chicken Little.... what happened to your $5,000 PSL talk on the upper deck?

Oh I see... now spreading a little more "sky is falling news"...

Nothing to see here... move along.

BZ

seriously baum you've been crying since the new stadium was planned, now Woody does the right thing and you are still crying?

maybe just maybe the new stadium will be *shock gasp* a good thing?

by the way I don't care if you do get priced out, if you watch Brett Farve throw a TD that Chad never could on TV, you can rest assured that play was brought to you by Woody Johnson and the quest for a new stadium. Jets fans can sit around and moan that the current stadium was fine but i'd rather watch winning football on TV then losing football in person. If it takes half the stadium getting priced out for the Jets to be a winning team, well, so be it.

I think that the people who can afford it will be happy for the opportunity to move from the uppers on down. I have a feeling that those $5000 PSL seats are going to sell out the fastest, leaving people with the choice of sitting in the uppers "for free," or shelling out $10-25,000 for the better view.

My bad--I misinterpreted what was meant by season ticket holders. I thought that meant the overall number of people with season tickets, not the overall number of season ticket accounts. So I guess those with season tickets in the upper bowl may be screwed. But I just have a feeling not too many people will be getting screwed. I don't think there will be that many people moving to the uppers--the corporate ticket holders will keep their seats or move up. Hopefully you guys don't get screwed.

22,000 holders, times how many seats each one has, which is definitely more than 1. Think of all the scalpers and others who have 6 or more seats down low.

I am f#cked!

I don't have a dog in this fight. So let me ask a question and if the answers are as I think, it should put some minds at ease.

Do most Jet fans prefer the cheap seats?

I know at Gillette most folks are trying to move to more expensive seats. E.g. the folks with $65 corner seats would jump at a chance to pay for $169 sideline seats for the better view. Only very rarely would someone want to give up the $169 seats to switch to the $65 seats so they can save money. And that there is an annual migration with people coming off the wait list going to the cheap corners. I am not saying everyone want to pay more for a better seat, some folks prefer spending the least amount for the game experience and turn down the opportunity to pay more for better seats just that in general the expensive seats are the ones in the most demand and the cheap ones are the least in demand.

My understanding is that is true in most stadiums.

Assuming the same is true of the Jets. If it is, then you should see more folks who are currently in the upper level trying to get the "good" PSL seats. At least enough of them to balance out the folks in the expensive seats wanting to move to the cheap seats.

I think it all comes down to what you can afford.

There may very well be some very well off folks who sit in uppers who wil jump at the opportunity to move down even if it means dropping $10,000 just for the right to spend another $2,000 or so each year on tickets.

My guess though is that alot of folks can't afford dropping $5,000 a year for the first five years on tickets but can afford $1,000 a year so that is what they will do.

We will see though. My guess is that in a couple of years you will hear on the radio.

"Jets vs Miami" Tickets available at all Tickemaster outlets".

I think that the people who can afford it will be happy for the opportunity to move from the uppers on down. I have a feeling that those $5000 PSL seats are going to sell out the fastest, leaving people with the choice of sitting in the uppers "for free," or shelling out $10-25,000 for the better view.

Yeah, I might be in that group.

If the right section was available in the $4-5K area, I would be in. I might go crazy at the $10K, but probably not.

BZ

22,000 holders, times how many seats each one has, which is definitely more than 1. Think of all the scalpers and others who have 6 or more seats down low.

I am f#cked!

Did you get a kissed along with it......:) joebaby tickets will always be available as they are now. Someone will pay the PSL to own the rights but game tickets will always be readily available.No worries....

We will see though. My guess is that in a couple of years you will hear on the radio.

"Jets vs Miami" Tickets available at all Tickemaster outlets".

I doubt that very much, unless we are playing in Miami.

With a new stadium, the right PR and a few good back-to-back seasons and the will sell out of that stadium very quickly.

If I had to make a guess:

22,000 season ticket holders, let's just say it breaks down to 10 lowers, 5 middles, 12 uppers (I know that is wrong, but for the sake of easy math).

Of any group, I would expect:

25% buy in at same amount (had 4-6 tickets, pay and stay)

25% buy in buy reduce tickets (had 6-10, buy 4-6 and stay)

20% move up one level (from $20K to 15, 10, 5K)

20% move to uppers

10% give up ticket completely (tired, hassled, Giants fans, corps, etc)

If that were true, I would expect 2,000 in the lowers and 1 middles to try and move to the uppers and at an average of 4 tickets, that is 12,000 seats moving to the uppers. Since there are 27,000 that leaves 15,000 to get divided to the 36,000 of which 10% will move down, 10% will give up and I guess whatever is left will not get any tickets.

Again, it is crazy math and a lot of fun speculation for the time being.

Don't be surprised if they dip into that waiting list though.

BZ

Hey Chicken Little.... what happened to your $5,000 PSL talk on the upper deck?

Oh I see... now spreading a little more "sky is falling news"...

Nothing to see here... move along.

BZ

Actually, a lot to see - If you sit in the 300

seriously baum you've been crying since the new stadium was planned, now Woody does the right thing and you are still crying?

by the way I don't care if you do get priced out, if you watch Brett Farve throw a TD that Chad never could on TV, you can rest assured that play was brought to you by Woody Johnson and the quest for a new stadium. Jets fans can sit around and moan that the current stadium was fine but i'd rather watch winning football on TV then losing football in person. If it takes half the stadium getting priced out for the Jets to be a winning team, well, so be it.

Bitonti, If you have been a season ticket holder since Shea, you can move up to the upper sections & your safe...

If you came here back when we moved or any current time frame - you are about to be put to the wolves...

So how long have you been a season ticket holder?

My bad--I misinterpreted what was meant by season ticket holders. I thought that meant the overall number of people with season tickets, not the overall number of season ticket accounts. So I guess those with season tickets in the upper bowl may be screwed. But I just have a feeling not too many people will be getting screwed. I don't think there will be that many people moving to the uppers--the corporate ticket holders will keep their seats or move up. Hopefully you guys don't get screwed.

Someone finally gets it!:)

Yet no one has realized from that article;

Central to the Jets’ strategy is seniority, not where you sit now.

Take pictures of your beloved old seats. They won’t matter in the new joint.

There is no location, location, location in JetsThink. In its place will be a virtual line of about 22,000 season-ticket holders, arranged by seniority. Seat choice will be made by your place in the queue and your ability to pay. Turn down one option and you are eligible for the next one and the next one, keeping your place in line, until you might land in the upper deck. That will be a safe haven without licenses attached to the 27,000 seats.

Where you sit in 2008-2009 is not where you will sit in 2010!

I guess the sky really is falling & some of you are just not seeing it YET!

I just love you how you move from one round rumor, fear mongering and misinformation to the next.

We get it, you don't like the new stadium. You had other plans for the team.

Time to move on.

Some of us (even those with 2004 seniority) are really looking forward to the new stadium, PSLs or not.

BZ

That is EXACTLY how I feel. I am not sure what will happen to me personally in the new stadium. I don't know for sure that I will still be a season ticket holder. We all spoke our minds along the way and clearly the Jets are collecting less money that many of us predicted\feared.

The Jets for the first time that I can remember, seem to care about the fans. They left 27 million on the table with the upper bowl. The seniority thing was a decision they made because they felt it was the right one.

They can not please everyone. Regardless, this is good for the Jets (the new stadium) and it really is time to move on. I feel that the Jets did the right thing here.

Wow... Max... You have turned. :)

The other point is that this is a no win for everyone. Trust me that the Giants fan in the lower tear who has 10 tickets and has been going to the games for 50 years is PISSED at the fact the he needs to drop $200,000 (in 3 easy payments) just to keep going to the games.

As I have said over and over, PSLs in theory are not a bad thing for the fan (resale) but HIGH PSLs are the problem.

The No PSL upper was a PR move and to be honest, wasn't probably the right one. The seniority thing WAS the right move. The Jets could have easily have done exactly what they did (Auction, Seniority, PSLs) but put $1K PSLs on the upper decks. I think that would have helped spread the payments around and the difference between a $4,000 PSL and a $1,000 PSL would have been easier to swallow than $0.

Either way, they are my team, I will continue to watch them and will try to get into the new stadium. If that is at $0. Fine. If it is in new seats, better and it costs $4,000 in PSLs ($12,000 total), I might do it. If I get priced out I will buy the biggest, baddest LCD that will fit in my apartment with dual HD tuners and will enjoy that as well.

BZ

Bitonti ,I actually have to say something here , I had been speaking up on this for 2 years now more so since last thanksgiving when they anounced their PSL`s when we`re playing Dallas. Now the main thing is The days before the Rally when I said on here Iwas going there to speak & the days that followed after I spoke & everyone assumed we were going by the giants same plan ,I was getting trased on here for wasting my time there was noway there was gonna be any free PSL`s which I suggested on stage there should only be free PSL`s on the best seats as Steve also I also suggested we should have more time to pay these things were the Giants were only giving 2 years, Now I`am not sugg. that Woody made changes based on anything I said , But the bottom line it was after the rally these changes were announced and my point is just cause I was out numbered by a few billionaires and what seemed like most of you folks here on the internet doesn`t mean you should give up ,maybe the 1 person who hear`s something is the person who can make a change . Even after the Rally Sun. & Mon I was still haveing to defend on here & JI the reasons I went to the thing.

I think the issue has been milked for every possible post. It is time to move on. :bag:

Besides, I really believe that this team can be special. That the coaching staff is doing the right thing. I believe in them and I know after 20 years I want to be there when they finally have that magical year. /endcrazytalk

Bitonti ,I actually have to say something here , I had been speaking up on this for 2 years now more so since last thanksgiving when they anounced their PSL`s when we`re playing Dallas. Now the main thing is The days before the Rally when I said on here Iwas going there to speak & the days that followed after I spoke & everyone assumed we were going by the giants same plan ,I was getting trased on here for wasting my time there was noway there was gonna be any free PSL`s which I suggested on stage there should only be free PSL`s on the best seats as Steve also I also suggested we should have more time to pay these things were the Giants were only giving 2 years, Now I`am not sugg. that Woody made changes based on anything I said , But the bottom line it was after the rally these changes were announced and my point is just cause I was out numbered by a few billionaires and what seemed like most of you folks here on the internet doesn`t mean you should give up ,maybe the 1 person who hear`s something is the person who can make a change . Even after the Rally Sun. & Mon I was still haveing to defend on here & JI the reasons I went to the thing.

Speaking up is great and everyone should, but the things that the Jets did with the PSL is more PR and smoke and mirrors than anything else.

The seniority thing is real, but also represents a team that only has 10,000 on a waiting list not the 120,000 that the Giants have. The Giants know that if they lose HALF of their season ticket holders, they have a pool of 120,000 to go to. The Jets know that if they lose HALF of their season ticket holders they will be SOL, so they made it easier to keep current season ticket holders and people with seniority.

Same thing goes for giving 5 years to pay off instead of 3. Again, the Jets are and should be a little worried that they won't be able to sell all the high PSLs. The easier they make it on the fan, the better for the Jets.

I think where they went wrong was the NO PSL seats. It just makes the gap between $4,000 and $0 to wide. As with any good pricing structure, you want the next level up to not be a big jump, but seem incremental and something a customer will say "Hey, I could do $1,000 and maybe I could do $4,000..." Just like the guys at $4,000 might be thinking about the $5,000. That is a well tiered plan.

BZ

Either way, they are my team, I will continue to watch them and will try to get into the new stadium. If that is at $0. Fine. If it is in new seats, better and it costs $4,000 in PSLs ($12,000 total), I might do it. If I get priced out I will buy the biggest, baddest LCD that will fit in my apartment with dual HD tuners and will enjoy that as well.

BZ

So Bwan you dont pay a mortgage and New Jersey property taxes after all...If that was my situation Id be first in line for the PSLs.

joisey i have to commend you for speaking your mind. I do that all the time on this forum and others and sometimes it's not pretty how people react. I would never criticize another fan, especially a season ticket holder for speaking their mind and following what they think is right

my problem with Baum's post (and yours to a certain extent) is that people assumed the worst of Woody Johnson without any evidence, and made up rumors or assumptions that turned out to be untrue. Now the details of the PSL sitaution haven't been totally flushed out, why are we still assuming Woody is out to screw everyone that isn't rich? Clearly there's variables but until those variables become established, complaining about what the Jets are gonna do with the new stadium is a waste of everyone's time. Why can't we just take a wait and see attitude? As it stands you were getting priced out last week, now you are probably priced into excellent upper seats. For the record I think the upper deck between the 30s is the best football seat in the stadium i.e. the play unfolds you can see all the angles. I've sat all around that field, and even in luxury boxes, for a big game i'd take a nice upper seat over a nice lower one any day.

Speaking up is great and everyone should, but the things that the Jets did with the PSL is more PR and smoke and mirrors than anything else.

The seniority thing is real, but also represents a team that only has 10,000 on a waiting list not the 120,000 that the Giants have. The Giants know that if they lose HALF of their season ticket holders, they have a pool of 120,000 to go to. The Jets know that if they lose HALF of their season ticket holders they will be SOL, so they made it easier to keep current season ticket holders and people with seniority.

Same thing goes for giving 5 years to pay off instead of 3. Again, the Jets are and should be a little worried that they won't be able to sell all the high PSLs. The easier they make it on the fan, the better for the Jets.

I think where they went wrong was the NO PSL seats. It just makes the gap between $4,000 and $0 to wide. As with any good pricing structure, you want the next level up to not be a big jump, but seem incremental and something a customer will say "Hey, I could do $1,000 and maybe I could do $4,000..." Just like the guys at $4,000 might be thinking about the $5,000. That is a well tiered plan.

BZ

Agreed it`s a little smoke and mirrors but at least they are giving the long time fans a choice to keep their seats and a one of these billion PSL threads I mentioned where Woody almost had it perfect and typed the few things I thought should have been a little different,in my case ,where my seats are now is listed as a $10,000 per seat PSL in the new stadium ,so what I am hoping for is my seniority allows me to take 2 seats in the upper non PSL area the $125 pg section preferably,and hopefully my other 2 seats grab 2 in the lower endzone $5,000 psl section , now the thing is had the section I am in now been $4,000-$5,000 ,I would have been fine with the 5 years after the 1st 20% deposit to pay them off Iwould have said I am fine right where I am at , now for the lousey $6,000 per seat they could make up in naming rights over the first few years alone ,I`d be willing to be most would have been fine right where they were and just think how much easier this would be on the JETS ticket office instead of moving folks all over the place

Not having PSL's on the upper decks is going to end up costing the fans more.

The already raised the upper deck ticket prices to $20 bucks more than the Giants charge, so after 5 years it is costing you more than a grand PSL would.

Also they are going to charge all the PSL paying fans more for theirs, the Jets did nobody any favors, this is going to end up costing the fans even more.

joisey i have to commend you for speaking your mind. I do that all the time on this forum and others and sometimes it's not pretty how people react. I would never criticize another fan, especially a season ticket holder for speaking their mind and following what they think is right

my problem with Baum's post (and yours to a certain extent) is that people assumed the worst of Woody Johnson without any evidence, and made up rumors or assumptions that turned out to be untrue. Now the details of the PSL sitaution haven't been totally flushed out, why are we still assuming Woody is out to screw everyone that isn't rich? Clearly there's variables but until those variables become established, complaining about what the Jets are gonna do with the new stadium is a waste of everyone's time. Why can't we just take a wait and see attitude? As it stands you were getting priced out last week, now you are probably priced into excellent upper seats. For the record I think the upper deck between the 30s is the best football seat in the stadium i.e. the play unfolds you can see all the angles. I've sat all around that field, and even in luxury boxes, for a big game i'd take a nice upper seat over a nice lower one any day.

Because if you take the wait & see attitude it is generaly to late to do anything to correct things at that point I was one of the few especially at that rally that said I had no problem with paying a PSL ,I just wanted the ones were I sit presently to be reasonable and I wanted to be given enough time to pay them off and I also was looking for them to be interest free & I wanted to get 30 minutes to talk to Woody before this got done. I didn`t expect to get everything but I at least tried. And for all those that are still complaineing ,the time to speak up was at that rally & if you chose to stay in the parkinglot drinking & playing Beer Pong while the protest /Rally was going on cause this wasn`t worth your time,you may as well continue to be quiet cause you blew your chance to speak up.

Archived