Practice REport From Today

jetsrule128

• Well, there’s no doubt who’s in charge of the special team. Mike Westhoff is back, and he was as loud as ever, barking and cursing in the early portion of practice. Westhoff, back after a nine-month hiatus, ran the show, as the current special teams coordinator, Kevin O’Dea, stood off to the side, saying nothing. AWK-WARD!

At first it looks like a lousy deal for O'Dea until you realize that by working with Westhoff, he's virtually guaranteed a special teams coaching job, near the top of the salary range, next year.

If some team's special teams are lousy in 2008, the first person they are going to go forin 2009 is the guy who did okay coaching special teams himself for the Bears, then served under the guy who's considered the best for a year.

Leon is better on punts (Miller cant even catch a punt).

Is that the reason Miller doesn't do punt returns?

I alsways thought it was because Miller relies on pure speed more than elusiveness, and kickoff returns gives him time to choose his alley. Whereas in punt returns, the guy is surrounded by defenders as soon as he catches the ball, so a premium is put on quick shifting around to avoid the first tackler instead of straight ahead speed.

Is that the reason Miller doesn't do punt returns?

I alsways thought it was because Miller relies on pure speed more than elusiveness, and kickoff returns gives him time to choose his alley. Whereas in punt returns, the guy is surrounded by defenders as soon as he catches the ball, so a premium is put on quick shifting around to avoid the first tackler instead of straight ahead speed.

Justin Miller is just absolutely horrible at catching punts, that's the reason why we had Leon returning punts.

At first it looks like a lousy deal for O'Dea until you realize that by working with Westhoff, he's virtually guaranteed a special teams coaching job, near the top of the salary range, next year.

If some team's special teams are lousy in 2008, the first person they are going to go forin 2009 is the guy who did okay coaching special teams himself for the Bears, then served under the guy who's considered the best for a year.

OK, so basically youre saying O'Dea will be my new ST coach. What's the word on him, will he be good? ;)

OK, so basically youre saying O'Dea will be my new ST coach. What's the word on him, will he be good? ;)

Actually he seems to be doing a good job. He was hand selected by Westchoff. I believe he was told there was a possibility Westhoff would return after the season. I don't think he expected that Westhoff would be back before the season.

Very awkward situation. If I was in need of an STC O'Dea would be my boy.

Shame you can't trade a coach.

Archived