1. 1. Min for EM to keep his job?

• he comes back no matter what
    • 5-11, it shows improvement
    • 8-8, double the wins, not a losing season
    • 9-7, winning season
    • wild card spot
    • win the division
    • win the SB, anything less fire him

With the Farve at QB and the other off season changes (some of which will cause Cap problems in the future), along with Brady out for the season the Jets are in their best shape in years. If the Jets repeat last year's 4-12 season, I doubt Mangini will even make it all the way thru the season.

What is the minimum the Jets need to perform this year for Eric to be the coach next year?

With the Farve at QB and the other off season changes (some of which will cause Cap problems in the future), along with Brady out for the season the Jets are in their best shape in years. If the Jets repeat last year's 4-12 season, I doubt Mangini will even make it all the way thru the season.

What is the minimum the Jets need to perform this year for Eric to be the coach next year?

He needs to make the playoffs... If he does at least that, he's earned himself the right to at least finish his contract here ( I believe through next season)...

Winning record.

That's all he needs to show for 2008. It is tough to transition any QB into a brand new system starting 3 weeks before the opener. I expect that there will be rough times ahead for Favre, in spite of his brilliance and talent. So, unless the defense is for real, and comes on early in the season, we could struggle in the first half of 2008, then get a run going heading into the last month. But it may not be enough to make the postseason.

Is this asking what will Woody do? I think 7 wins or more and he returns. 8 guarantees he returns. 6 or less and he's in deep doo-doo unless it was the result of insurmountable injuries.

I think he's pretty much back no matter what. I think that if the Jets win fewer than eight games, it would have to be the result of a rash of injuries.

The only way he goes is if he loses the team first. If the players just stop listening to him. But I suspect with the lighter training camp this year that that's much less of a possibility, too. I don't get the feeling that Woody's a knee-jerk kinda guy. He wants to have people he trusts in place, and he wants to let them do their job. I think he trusts Tannenbaum-Mangini.

I think he's pretty much back no matter what. I think that if the Jets win fewer than eight games, it would have to be the result of a rash of injuries.

The only way he goes is if he loses the team first. If the players just stop listening to him. But I suspect with the lighter training camp this year that that's much less of a possibility, too. I don't get the feeling that Woody's a knee-jerk kinda guy. He wants to have people he trusts in place, and he wants to let them do their job. I think he trusts Tannenbaum-Mangini.

I agree. I dont think Woody would have allowed the huge expenditure this past off season if he viewed this regime's tenure as anything less than secure. I think regardless of this year's record the Jets are building the roster from top to bottom into the type of team that will be consistently competitive. And it is Mangini's roster (especially the defense). If they change coaches this off-season it will be too big a setback for the franchise.

That sig of yours is soooo gay.

What do care.?.just worry about your Bradyless Pats..I think your a closet Jet fan.

Come on..come to the light and out of the darkness.

Probably 9-7 minimum. There really isn't much excuse for less, especially with the division up for grabs, and the schedule we have this year.

It's hard to be too critical of someone that doesn't have a solid QB. Mangini hadn't had a good QB his entire tenure, but now with Favre that changes. Sure he's old, but he is still a solid QB. Chad was not. If Mangini coaches like he did against Miami though, he won't get those wins and he'll probably be out of a job. By that I mean instead of icing the game, go super conservative and almost blow it to an inferior team. BB would have had Brady throw for the first down, and Brady probably gets it. I think Favre gets it too. Chad doesn't, but we no longer have Chad so there's no need to play that scared.

I don't care that Cassel is the QB or "defense wins championships," you don't put the ball in the other team's hands at the end of the game. The good teams will all run the clock out.

Once again, Woody Johnson has said Mangini will be back in 2009 no matter what.

True. But with the Dolphins still in full rebuilding mode, and the Pats without Brady, I have to think that there still has to be a minimum showing by this coaching staff. If everyone on the Jets is healthy & we still only win 5-6 games this year (unlikely as it may be), I'd want him gone & think Woody might bow to the media pressure asking for Mangini's head.

Like I said, I don't think that will happen. We already have 1 win in 1 game. Upcoming on the schedule are games against the Chiefs, the Raiders, another Dolphins game, the 49ers, and what (so far) appears to be a sucky Seattle team. That should be 6 wins there. Even if we lose 7 of the other 10 games that's still a 9-7 season. If this roster of healthy players can't manage that, then it's a reflection on the coaching, not the players.

Of course it also depends on who is available as a replacement as well.

Something tells me Hermie may be available for another affirmative action HC job..akface.gif

You think a 3rd team will really give him the top job? I think this is it for him unless he somehow turns the Chiefs into a 9-10 win team by next season. He's still the same putzhead as when he was here, with the same combination of incompetence and arrogance, combined with some outright stupidity, that is lethal to an organization.

You think a 3rd team will really give him the top job? I think this is it for him unless he somehow turns the Chiefs into a 9-10 win team by next season. He's still the same putzhead as when he was here, with the same combination of incompetence and arrogance, combined with some outright stupidity, that is lethal to an organization.

The HC was Head Chef at Porky's BBQ Heaven..;)

We could always bring in Schiano he is clearly doing a bang up job at Rutgers :) I think Mangini is coming back with anything more than 6-7 wins..on pure talent alone they will do that. Next year this team will be under the gun unless they have the excuse of qb again

If the Jets don't at least get to the wild card spot, there is a good chance that Brett Favre retires. If that happens, then Mangini's record for three years will be:

First year: good

Second year: awful

Third year: mediocre

The Jets will be starting their fourth year of Tangini's program with no experienced QB or even blue chip prospect at the position.

When Belichick left, the Jets turned to Al Groh as a coach. Groh is regarded as a lousy coach for the Jets, but in reality he went 9-7 and narrowly missed the playoffs. But he's still thought of as a lousy coach, even though that was his first year.

If Mangini has the same record and misses the playoffs too, he will be remembered as a lousy coach as well.

I don't think Mangini is on any kind of hot seat. At least not the foreseeable future. That guy can flat out coach imo. He showed me that last year when he put a damn good gameplan together and beat my Steelers. Matter of fact he's one of only 2 coaches i've seen make Ben look pedestrian. I'll not mention the other, as we all know who it is and not many like him anyway. ;)

All Mangini has to do is not cheat. What could be lower than a Head Coach orchestrating a cheating scandal? I would think any honest and self respecting owner would fire a HC immediately if they did that.

You assume that he is smart enough to know how to cheat.

Funny, intelligence isn't the first characteristic that comes to mind when I think of cheaters. You Pats fans have a strange way of looking at the world.

Your coach has done the same thing. Mr Goodell used to work for the Jets. I expect a Jet player could bring a gun and shoot someone on the field and not get fined.

Your coach has done the same thing.

Has he?

The only thing I have heard is that Mangini might have known about what Belichick was doing while he was on the Pats and didn't turn him in. Which is not the same thing as being the man in charge and deciding to do it in the first place.

mangini will be around for the next 2 years no matter what. he will be the head coach to inaugurate the new stadium.

belichick on the other hand i wonder about. i doubt kraft would ever fire him, but i wouldn't be surprised to see him walk away from the patriots after this year and cut his losses.

Your coach has done the same thing. Mr Goodell used to work for the Jets. I expect a Jet player could bring a gun and shoot someone on the field and not get fined.

:rl: It's all a conspiracy, right?

And, by the way, please show me anything that proves Mangini has videotaped opponent's plays under his supervision. Thank you.

Archived