NY Jets Super Bowl Bound?

Smizzy

I see alot of talk around here & on the radio about the Jets being bound for detriot.

2 things have made this mass hysteria happen

1. Mike Nuget -I know ...I know ,a KICKER?!?

Talk to any jets fan and he say 1 thing for sure in the first 5 minutes of talking football .." we were 1 FG away from the AFC championship game and we got nuget!!!"

2. Ty Law - The Ny Jets added one fo the best players at their position (when healthy) to the secondary,which was always considerd the weak link.

Again....It's appearent to every Jets fan but me that Ty Law is bringing 3 championships with him,I guess they think we are now world champions by marriage or something.

Have we all forgot about the 3 problems we had begining this offseason?

1. Chad Pennington's right shoulder- How in the world have Jets fans overlooked or downplayed this injury enough to put us back in the playoff's?

I know we all hope and wish for him to be healthy enough to play,but let's face reality here. Even when he began the season @ 100% he never played all 16. Can he start hurt and play 19 and win the SB?

2. The Giant hole that is DT- The loss of fregy is bigger then most realize. We have a couple guys rotating in next to DRob...that's not good.

The D-line sets the tone for the rest of the D....it's like a giant ripple effect.

If the D-line does it's job,the LB's can do their jobs and the secondary can do theirs. It's then up to each player to get it done.

When the D-line struggles and is outplayed or out position...The rest of the D suffers,it ripples to the LB's and then out to the secondary.

3. Adrian Jones - Alot of pressure rests on this kids shoulders, not as much as penny's right shoulder :wink: but enough. Can he do the job? He is a huge question mark in my book.

Not trying to be a buzzkill,just being the voice of reason.

You guys are HIGH on TY!!

Totally agree.

I have been saying it since yesterday when the Law news broke.

The two guys who will make or break any Jets Super Bowl dreams are

1) Chad: How does the shoulder respond and how does he adapt to the new system

2) J.Abe: Love him or hate him he will be a vital part to the Jets chances. Abraham in the lineup makes the a possible dominant D. Without John the D well is just another Defense. It will be good it would not be as good as last year.

3) Most important. Number 1 and number 2 are healthy for all 16 + games.

The Jets have a lot riding on Jones being able to do the job at tackle-and depth along the offensive line is a concern also

A rotation at defensive tackle of Pouha, LeGree and McGill will hopefully be able to do the job.

I see alot of talk around here & on the radio about the Jets being bound for detriot.

2 things have made this mass hysteria happen

1. Mike Nuget -I know ...I know ,a KICKER?!?

Talk to any jets fan and he say 1 thing for sure in the first 5 minutes of talking football .." we were 1 FG away from the AFC championship game and we got nuget!!!"

2. Ty Law - The Ny Jets added one fo the best players at their position (when healthy) to the secondary,which was always considerd the weak link.

Again....It's appearent to every Jets fan but me that Ty Law is bringing 3 championships with him,I guess they think we are now world champions by marriage or something.

Have we all forgot about the 3 problems we had begining this offseason?

1. Chad Pennington's right shoulder- How in the world have Jets fans overlooked or downplayed this injury enough to put us back in the playoff's?

I know we all hope and wish for him to be healthy enough to play,but let's face reality here. Even when he began the season @ 100% he never played all 16. Can he start hurt and play 19 and win the SB?

2. The Giant hole that is DT- The loss of fregy is bigger then most realize. We have a couple guys rotating in next to DRob...that's not good.

The D-line sets the tone for the rest of the D....it's like a giant ripple effect.

If the D-line does it's job,the LB's can do their jobs and the secondary can do theirs. It's then up to each player to get it done.

When the D-line struggles and is outplayed or out position...The rest of the D suffers,it ripples to the LB's and then out to the secondary.

3. Adrian Jones - Alot of pressure rests on this kids shoulders, not as much as penny's right shoulder :wink: but enough. Can he do the job? He is a huge question mark in my book.

Not trying to be a buzzkill,just being the voice of reason.

You guys are HIGH on TY!!

You'll get no disagreement from me Smizz. I am very happy to have Law (although I do have issues with his cost, but that is a "down the road" issue, not a 2005 issue).

However, the Chad/DT/OT issues are indeed still primary to the success or failure of the 2005 Jets:

--We sink or Swim on Chadwick. Fiedler will not take us to Detriot on his Interception-worn back.

--And inabillity to stop the run, which is based on the play of the run-stuffing (i.e. NOT D-Rob) Defensive Tackle, could be a giant buzzkill for the rest of our D. D-Rob, the Ends and Vilma all become less stud-ly if opposing teams can ram it a la the RaiDUH's 21 in a row, vs. our Defense.

--Adrian "Turnstile" Jones is getting alot of back-slpas in camp. But back-slaps don;t block all-pro D-Linemen, and Adrian Jones has yet to show up for even a pre-season game. Until I see him stop some bodies in pre-season games 1 thru 4, I have seriosu doubts as to this play of this kid vs. NFL talent.

So yes, these issues still exist, with or without Law on our roster. I am hopeful on all three (Chad returns and stays healthy, Pouha fils the widebody Run-Crushing DT, and Jones turns out to be as good as his linemates have been claiming). But we need to be relaistic, we are far from a playoff lock, much less a Super Bowl lock, as it stands today.

I am so sick of hearing about how good of a player Jason Ferguson was and how he will be missed.

The guy was an average D-Tackle, a JAG. Where was Fergy in 2003 when our run defense was 1 of the worst in the NFL. I remember everybody hoping he wont be 1 of the cuts in the offseason. Now after 2004 people around the football world act like he was frickin John Randle. If anything we should be better off with our run defense if 1 of our other DTs can just step up alittle and do a decent job.

I am so sick of hearing about how good of a player Jason Ferguson was and how he will be missed.

The guy was an average D-Tackle, a JAG. Where was Fergy in 2003 when our run defense was 1 of the worst in the NFL. I remember everybody hoping he wont be 1 of the cuts in the offseason. Now after 2004 people around the football world act like he was frickin John Randle. If anything we should be better off with our run defense if 1 of our other DTs can just step up alittle and do a decent job.

Sorry, Barton, put up Fergy's stats beside D-Rob's--then tell me Ferg wasn't good. Though stats don't tell the entire tale, Ferg was the best d-lineman bar none throughout the playoffs last year.

Since you asked my little Buddy!! In 03 Fergy had

52 Tackle's 23 asst's and 4 and 1/2 sacks..In 03

looking at over all performance he was better then

Sapp!! Oh and also better then Shaun Rogers

in 03 also!! Happy now?? :wink:

DT stats?? Cmon fellas. :roll:

Yes DT stats. stats like 9 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 2 sacks in the post-season alone last year. But they don't count, because forcing a turnover, and killing drives with sacks apparently aren't important for DT's right?

There's a reason Ferg was one of the most sought-after D-lineman in the league when he became a FA. And a reason he's getting paid as he is. Consistent, run-stuffing DT's that can collapse a pocket and tally sacks are a rarity. Most guys at Ferg's position are one-dimensional (when's the last time you saw Ted Washington chase down a QB?). Add to that the fact that he was well-liked in the locker-room and never caused any problems with his mouth, and you bet your ass we'll miss Ferg.

Yes DT stats. stats like 9 tackles, 1 forced fumble, and 2 sacks in the post-season alone last year. But they don't count, because forcing a turnover, and killing drives with sacks apparently aren't important for DT's right?

There's a reason Ferg was one of the most sought-after D-lineman in the league when he became a FA. And a reason he's getting paid as he is. Consistent, run-stuffing DT's that can collapse a pocket and tally sacks are a rarity. Most guys at Ferg's position are one-dimensional (when's the last time you saw Ted Washington chase down a QB?). Add to that the fact that he was well-liked in the locker-room and never caused any problems with his mouth, and you bet your a$$ we'll miss Ferg.

Where was fergy in 2003 when our run defense sucked butt??

And Fergy was always 1-on-1 last season and Drob was always getting doubleteamed. DROB, freed up Fergy to make plays. Without Drob, fergy was and is nothing. He's a solid player, but he can be replaced, and definetly not worth the coin he signed for. Not to mention he somehow only plays great in contract years. DROB collapses the pocket and Fergy reaped the rewards.

There's a reason Ferg was one of the most sought-after D-lineman in the league when he became a FA. And a reason he's getting paid as he is. Consistent, run-stuffing DT's that can collapse a pocket and tally sacks are a rarity. Most guys at Ferg's position are one-dimensional (when's the last time you saw Ted Washington chase down a QB?). Add to that the fact that he was well-liked in the locker-room and never caused any problems with his mouth, and you bet your a$$ we'll miss Ferg.

sirlancemehlot, that was an excellent post. :wink:

But alas, there is a particular breed of Jets fans who think that, as soon as a Jets player becomes an ex-Jets player, de-facto he sucks.

The same people that were saying Coles sucks after he went to the Skins, are the same ones who say he's great now that he's back with the Jets. :lol:

It's a pathology we're just gonna have to learn to live with.

If its true that dallas will be running the 3-4 with Ferg at NT they are in for a rude awakening. He's not Ted Washington or Jamal Williams, thats for sure.

EB you little sour puss..Tuna drafted Fergy in 97!

What Defense did we run then?? In 97&98 Fergy had

7 and 1/2 sacks and played well in the 3-4! It was

Al Groh that he hated!!Was he worth that Big Contract

that Dallas gave him?? No..But look at the Huge Money

Martin gets for avg 8 td's a year since he's been a

Jet and no playoff TD's since Hermie's been HC!! :roll:

EB you little sour puss..Tuna drafted Fergy in 97!

What Defense did we run then?? In 97&98 Fergy had

7 and 1/2 sacks and played well in the 3-4! It was

Al Groh that he hated!!Was he worth that Big Contract

that Dallas gave him?? No..But look at the Huge Money

Martin gets for avg 8 td's a year since he's been a

Jet and no playoff TD's since Hermie's been HC!! :roll:

1997? yawn. Ferg is not the young player he was 8 years ago.

How did I know you would turn it into something to do with Curtis Martin. :lol:

Like I said, where was this big bad run stuffing D-Tackle when our run defense sucked???

Would I take him over Pouha/McGill/Harper/Reed? Ya damn right I would. But not at that price. We would never have signed Ty Law if we gave in to Fat Ferg.

Yes.

Kicking game is what screwed us over (almost twice) in the playoffs last season.

All of us remember Brien's 2 screw ups in Flukesburgh but do you remember the opening drive @ San Diego when he missed a 29 yarder? :shock:

Now we have, yes, a rookie, but a much stronger legged and more accurate and a CLUTCH kicker then we've ever had before. Nugent can kick in the bad weather and he's kicked in National Championships and made game winning kicks consistently for Ohio State.

The offense is improved with the coming back of Coles, Hackett Out - Dinger In. The loss of LaMont Jordan won't hurt at all because Derrick Blaylock, although a different style of running is just as effective.

The defense is IMPROVED. The one spot the Jets were weak at last year, cornerback, is now filled in by the best one in the business (Ty Law). David Barrett in the 2nd half of last season did pretty well as well so that tandem looks pretty damn solid.

The road to Detroit starts September 11th.

Too many question marks on the O-LINE and the defense, although improved, is overrated and lacks depth on the line.

.....not to mention #94.

Is he in shape? Sober? Bitter? IMO, he's an injury waiting to happen, real or imagined. If he plays 16 games, I'll kick my dog.

Oh, BTW, for the optimists among us.......

My father-in-law told me last night that the last(only) time the JETS won the SB they opened @ K.C.

The road to superbowl XL in Detroit goes through Indianapolis and New England IMO... you think you guys are good enough to oust new england?

Delusional Jet fans who post here do.

But anybody else that knows anything about football, knows the Jets don't have a chance of knocking off the Pats.

But anybody else that know anything about football, knows the Jets don't have a chance of knocking off the Pats.

If we are going to go far in the playoffs the first thing we must do is win the division- it is not likely as we have seen to try to go on the road in the playoffs and win. So the road to Super Bowl starts with beating Pats out for first place

But anybody else that knows anything about football, knows the Jets don't have a chance of knocking off the Pats.

when it happens this year... what are you going to do, Tx? Disappear into the Lone Star State? Start attending rodeos? you old hayseed you... :lol:

or are you going to come here and make up some falsehood as to why the patsies are falling into the depth of despair?

when it happens this year... what are you going to do, Tx? Disappear into the Lone Star State? Start attending rodeos? you old hayseed you... :lol:

gg, why would this year be any different than the past two years?

Jet fans have said the same thing about the Pats for 2 straight years during the offseason.

Then the real games are played on the field and the Pats walk all over the Jets.

gg, why would this year be any different than the past two years?

Jet fans have said the same thing about the Pats for 2 straight years during the offseason.

Then the real games are played on the field and the Pats walk all over the Jets.

No OC

No DC

loss of 3 inside linebackers

Law...

Seymour...

The Jets have two great players on defense:

Vilma and Law. By great, I mean that they make everybody else around them that much better.

Throw Abraham into it, and the defense, assuming everybody stays healthy AND the Lance Legree three can replace Ferg, the defense is good enough to win it all.

On offense, way too many question marks. Last year, the offense was one dimensional; feed the ball to Martin. This year, it's not gonna be like that. Jolly replaces Becht (a great run blocker), and the Jets have a "rookie" RT.

If Pennington doesnt have that extra second he's going to need in DInger's offense to throw the ball, it's gonna be a long @$$ season for us all.

No more dump offs to Sowell.

Just to clear up some "confusion"

The Pats do have a DC, his name is Eric Mangini.

The Pats do have an "unofficial" OC - his name is Bill Belichick.

The Pats lost two MLB's - Bruschi and Johnson

Seymour in in camp and ready to go.

No OC

No DC

loss of 3 inside linebackers

Law...

Seymour...

lets not forget Andruzzi, Traylor, Brown is old, db's are young, may bring Pfifer back (old), McGinest getting up there..

The run will end patsies*, you all know it..just be big about it & when it does end, be here so we can can give you a a little back ok? we know some of you (shasta) will hide behind mommies skirt but hopefully some of you will be man enough (Garb?) to hang around...

j/k Garb, I know you will still be here

Archived