Anyone know How much guitar lessons usually run?

I remember always wanting to learn how to play in high school and have just recently have been given the opportunity to take lessons with the guitarist of one of my favorite bands. So, I was thinking about taking a few lessons to see if it's something I'm interested in picking up; and I was wondering if the price of $40 an hour for lessons seemed like a fair deal. I probably wont do it seeing as how I can get a personal boxing trainer for about the same price/less an hour. I'm just looking for a new hobby to eat up some free time and I do have some extra money and free time seeing as how I can sleep at my job.

$40 an hour is a pretty good deal. I used to charge that 5 years ago so I think it's reasonable today. Is the guy teaching you reputable? Do a little homework, just because someone is a good guitarist does not mean they are a good teacher. Good luck man and thanks for actually picking up a guitar instead of "guitar hero" ;)

• Upvote 1
$40 an hour is a pretty good deal. I used to charge that 5 years ago so I think it's reasonable today. Is the guy teaching you reputable? Do a little homework, just because someone is a good guitarist does not mean they are a good teacher. Good luck man and thanks for actually picking up a guitar instead of "guitar hero" ;)

That is a good point. I definitely will have to look into it more. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with Boozer that $40/hour is a good deal. I took a few lessons with a nationally known guitarist and it cost me $80/hour. I also agree that not all great guitarists are great teachers. Take one or two lessons with your person to make sure you like his teaching style, and your personalities, goals, etc. mesh. Remember that guitar playing--and all other instruments for that matter--doesn't click right away. You must be committed to practicing. Good luck.

• Upvote 1
I agree with Boozer that $40/hour is a good deal. I took a few lessons with a nationally known guitarist and it cost me $80/hour. I also agree that not all great guitarists are great teachers. Take one or two lessons with your person to make sure you like his teaching style, and your personalities, goals, etc. mesh. Remember that guitar playing--and all other instruments for that matter--doesn't click right away. You must be committed to practicing. Good luck.

Does having a video on the retch of a show that is headbanger's ball make one nationally known? lmao. $80/ hour is really expensive imo when I could get some serious muay thai/ boxing training for that kind of coin. I'm sure he'd probably be a ****ty teacher, I'm a jet fan I'm a pessimest. I just might take a lesson or two to hang out with the dude and ask him why his new album isn't as good.

Does having a video on the retch of a show that is headbanger's ball make one nationally known? lmao. $80/ hour is really expensive imo when I could get some serious muay thai/ boxing training for that kind of coin. I'm sure he'd probably be a ****ty teacher, I'm a jet fan I'm a pessimest. I just might take a lesson or two to hang out with the dude and ask him why his new album isn't as good.

LOL. Yeah, I only did this twice. I will tell you that after the first lesson, I played my "rock scales" in a completely different--read easier and more musically sounding--way. I could also "see" and get up the fretboard a lot better and--again--in a more musically productive way. Would I do it again? Probably.

Edit: Say hi to George Lynch for us. LOL.

Edited by Borgoguy
LOL. Yeah, I only did this twice. I will tell you that after the first lesson, I played my "rock scales" in a completely different--read easier and more musically sounding--way. I could also "see" and get up the fretboard a lot better and--again--in a more musically productive way. Would I do it again? Probably.

Edit: Say hi to George Lynch for us. LOL.

The glam metal dude whose band name always reminded me of the word bukkake for some reason? If you're curious it's the lead guitarist for Arsis. You can see why I'm intrigued.

The glam metal dude whose band name always reminded me of the word bukkake for some reason? If you're curious it's the lead guitarist for Arsis. You can see why I'm intrigued.

That Dokken reference is hilarious. You had me rolling, although I think it sounds more like "back door" activity. :) All this time, I thought your username was a play on words for arse. What an idiot I am. I had never heard of these guys, but just checked out a few tunes on YouTube. I would definitely check it out. Guaranteed he'll have you playing baroque music. :) Seriously, I think it would be fun.

That Dokken reference is hilarious. You had me rolling, although I think it sounds more like "back door" activity. :) All this time, I thought your username was a play on words for arse. What an idiot I am. I had never heard of these guys, but just checked out a few tunes on YouTube. I would definitely check it out. Guaranteed he'll have you playing baroque music. :) Seriously, I think it would be fun.

Well Bukkake is also known as Gokkun, I have no idea how I know this, but I do. So Gokkun and Dokken are just too similar for my dirty mind not to relate the two. I listen to mostly underground music mainly melodic metal. To me underground and mainstream music just don't have the same.. passion and soul. You can even tell the difference when an underground band starts to get some mainstream play. 9 times out of ten they're never as good as they were.

• Upvote 1
I remember always wanting to learn how to play in high school and have just recently have been given the opportunity to take lessons with the guitarist of one of my favorite bands. So, I was thinking about taking a few lessons to see if it's something I'm interested in picking up; and I was wondering if the price of $40 an hour for lessons seemed like a fair deal. I probably wont do it seeing as how I can get a personal boxing trainer for about the same price/less an hour. I'm just looking for a new hobby to eat up some free time and I do have some extra money and free time seeing as how I can sleep at my job.

weezy f can play a guirtar

that ***** a beast on it

Well Bukkake is also known as Gokkun, I have no idea how I know this, but I do. So Gokkun and Dokken are just too similar for my dirty mind not to relate the two. I listen to mostly underground music mainly melodic metal. To me underground and mainstream music just don't have the same.. passion and soul. You can even tell the difference when an underground band starts to get some mainstream play. 9 times out of ten they're never as good as they were.

I take literacy and literature very seriously. Thank you for expanding my personal lexicon and thesaurus. I will refer to films involving "facial stuccoing" by their proper name henceforth. Much obliged. :)

depends, Harry Chapin charged 10 bucks and he wanted to have sex with ya :(

I come fresh from the street, fast on my feet

Kinda crass and corny

Not much meat on my bones, and a whole lot alone

And more than a little bit horny

The old six-string was all I had

To keep my belly still

And for each full hour lesson I gave

I got a crisp ten dollar bill

She was married for seven years

To a concrete castle king

She said she wanted to learn to play the guitar

And to hear her children sing

So I'd show up about once a week

In my faded tight-legged jeans

With a backlog full of hobo stories

And dilapidated dreams

{Refrain}

She said, I want to learn a love song

Full of happy things

She said, I want to learn a love song

Won't you let me hear you sing

She said, I, I want to learn a love song

I want to hear you play

She said, I, I want to learn a love song

Before you go away

So I tried to teach her a couple of chords

And an easy melody

But it always turned out she'd rather listen

To my guitar and me

I could hear her old man laughin' in the den

Playin' stud poker with the boys

While I sang so soft in the living room

Too scared to make much noise

I came one week, and the den was dark

And she met me at the door

And we sat on the couch, and we sang and talked

'Til I could not sing no more

The silence kept on buildin'

Her eyes grew much too wide

And I could hear both of our heartbeats

But there was no place to hide

{Refrain}

Well, I guess you know what happened

God, I, I never been so clean

Yes, I feel like I'm workin' in a Hollywood movie

Or livin' out a good bad dream

And all them pin-up girls in that tinsel world

Never touched me like she can

It took another man's wife in the real world life

To make this boy a man

{Refrain}

I guess you know I stayed

I am a piano teacher, teaching at two different studios. Most studios are about the same price. Not sure where you are located...

Where I teach in Middletown, it is $80 per month and that gives you 4 lessons (1/2 hour each) per month. Same time, same day, same teacher.

In Belmar where I teach, they charge about the same. - $88 per month ($22 a lesson). During the months that there are 5 lessons, it goes up to $108.

If you are in the Belmar area I recommend checking them out: http://www.belmarschoolofthemusicalarts.com

Hope this might help.

• Upvote 2
Hour sessions are definitely the way to go. You will learn much faster and get a lot more done. I did hour lessons with drums and it helped quite a bit.

Agreed. Half hour lessons consist of you walking in, tuning your guitar, looking up at the clock and realizing the time is up already. Go for hour lessons man.