Holy. Did George really say this?

TomShane

I'm not pleased with the manager," Steinbrenner said. "I don't know why they kept the left-hander in there... He should never have pitched to Konerko. Konerko's their best hitter."

That was an AOL story. Did George really swipe Joe Torre that bad? And if so, HAHAHAHAHHAHAA!

Boss rips into Torre

Rides Joe about pen

By ROGER RUBIN and EBENEZER SAMUEL

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

To The Boss' displeasure, Joe Torre stays with Alan Embree (r.) for one batter too long.

An irritated George Steinbrenner blistered Yankees manager Joe Torre last night after seeing his $200 million club fall, 2-1, to the Chicago White Sox.

The Boss raved about the midseason acquisition of Shawn Chacon, who pitched seven innings of one-run ball, but when it came to his manager of 10 seasons, it was a totally different story.

"I'm not pleased with the manager," Steinbrenner said as he made his way to his sedan about 40 minutes after the game.

Steinbrenner was second-guessing Torre's decision to go with lefthanded reliever Alan Embree against righthanded cleanup hitter Paul Konerko at the start of the ninth inning. Steinbrenner said he'd been impressed with the way Embree got through the eighth inning, but not the way he surrendered Konerko's home run.

That homer proved to be the margin of victory.

"I don't know about why they left the lefthander in," Steinbrenner said, dressed in his vintage blue blazer. "He had a good inning and they kept him in there. He should never have pitched to Konerko - he's their best hitter."

It's been a surprisingly quiet season for Steinbrenner, especially during a campaign in which his Yankees have failed to meet expectations. Since The Boss' tirade against Jason Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, in spring training, the vast majority of his public remarks have been supportive endorsements of GM Brian Cashman and Torre.

It's a far cry from the stormy waters that Steinbrenner and Torre navigated two years ago. On several occasions, The Boss was critical. At one point, Torre fired back that the players did not need him "riding herd" on them.

The Boss might have been in a second-guessing mood for more reasons than just the Konerko home run. He got to watch Yankee castoff Jose Contreras pitch seven-plus scoreless innings. The Bombers went to great expense to get the Cuban refugee and landed him with a four-year, $32 million offer. But after Contreras failed to meet the club's expectations, the Yankees dealt him to the White Sox for Esteban Loaiza, who also disappointed in pinstripes.

"He pitched great," Steinbrenner said of Contreras.

At least he wasn't second-guessing the Yankees latest pickup. Chacon pitched well in his third straight start since joining the club via a trade with the Colorado Rockies.

"The other pitcher I was pleased with," he said. "Chacon, I was very pleased with him."

But in the end, as he took the final steps toward his car, Steinbrenner chose to go back to Torre's decision to allow Embree to face Konerko.

"I'm not pleased with the manager," Steinbrenner repeated. "I don't know why he left him in."

This is actually so tame for George- the last couple of years though he has lightened up with public comments

Torre's M.O. has been to bring Mariano in at home with the lead or tied.

To me this is a second guess but with the A-Rod and company coming up in the ninth you can see why George is upset especially after A-Rod homers to lead off the bottom of the ninth. If Torre goes to Mariano in the top then most likely you are looking at a 1-1 game.

That's the way it has been this year. One step forward two steps back

Nah, depite Joe mismanaging the team left and right this year...he loves sucking ass with the likes of Paul McCartney and Billy Crystal too much to step down.

I thought it might be it for Joe when george let Andy Pettite walk...possibly the biggest mistake since letting Reggie Jackson walk. Joe said "Our top priority has always been pitching and re-signing Andy was #1 on our agenda." He was Torre's guy 100% and george said "bye bye" almost to spite JT.

But, Joe sucked it up and managed the team last year anyway, leading me to deduce that he's in it for the long haul

Joe ain't quitting-2 ex-wives and a current model, gaggles of kids, mansion in Westchester and a home in Hawaii. He may put on a tough front, but he'll put up with a lot of misery to take home this kind of coin which NOBODY ELSE WILL EVER PAY HIM.

Torre is assured of at least finishing the season..

LL

Holy Crap!!! Really?!?!?!? If that's not the single, plain as day comment I've ever heard, I don't know what is. How did you ever deduce that? :lol:

BTW, he's dating a model Bugg?

Model in the sense that this is his 3rd wife, not necessarily a fashion model. The guy has a lot of bills. He's not making this kind of money elsewhere. And no other job brings him as much peripheral ad money. And if they did send him and Stott packing, other than the kissy face Mike Lupicas( the same bunch who called him Clueless Joe in 1995)nobody would get their knickers in a twist. But so what-it's past time.when the big money talent isn't there, Torre isn't Tony Larussa. He's still the same guy who ran the Mets aground in the late 1980s.

Archived