I just f'd my back up lifting weights

BP

w squats, cleans, etc you want to start low, use your legs, and use a stiff postured straight lift. Don't slouch with weights in hand or it will drain your lower back and neck.

I am suffering with a lower back problem because I started a core workout with too much weight and bad lifts.

I don't think he really wants to know.. he has an alterior motive! ;)

It's so easy to F your back.. All it takes is a sneeze sometimes.

No kidding. I screwed mine up from a sneeze once. My chiropractor asked me what happened and I told him it was embarrassing and after I told him it was from a sneeze, he told me that it's really common and he sees it all the time.

2 days before a 6 hour cross country flight Saturday morning..****!

I have an emergency call into my legendary chiropractor..the electric stimulus machine is being warmed up..this 70 year old man can snap an apple in half with those damn hands.

I hope I can get a quick fix on this or the sky Vodka will be doing whirlpool action over the skies of the United States.

vicodin_advertisement_by_scuzzo_sma.jpg

Do you use a belt?

He shouldn't use a belt. There's a common misconception that belts aid the back. So much so that there are even belts that are incorrectly tapered to be larger in the back than the front. A proper belt should be the same width all the way around. They are actually designed to aid your stomach and obliques far more than your lower back. When you squeeze your core ab muscles against the belt when doing a heavy lift (such as a deadlift) it acts as a leverage aid. Kind of like the ground acts as leverage for your legs. The belt is sort of a platform for your abs and obliques to "push" against. The problem is your core does not get the full brunt of the weight when you use the belt, therefor it's not getting as much exercise as it would without the belt. In the long run this actually makes you weaker and more prone to injuries. Secondly, because people mistakenly think that the belt aids or protects the back, it tends to lead to more injuries because people invariably end up trying to lift more than they should thinking they have a safety net in the belt.

The truth is a belt should only be used sparingly if at all. If you are going to use it, it should only be during exercises with very heavy weights and very low reps, such as the 2-4 range. Anything higher than that should not be done with a belt.

Thanks to all of those concerned. I just got back from getting some intense cracking and I feel much better. I did a lot of crunches after I got back and then turned over on my stomach and did the old raising opposite arms and legs to strengthen the old back muscles a bit. I feel much better, thank gawd.

He shouldn't use a belt. There's a common misconception that belts aid the back. So much so that there are even belts that are incorrectly tapered to be larger in the back than the front. A proper belt should be the same width all the way around. They are actually designed to aid your stomach and obliques far more than your lower back. When you squeeze your core ab muscles against the belt when doing a heavy lift (such as a deadlift) it acts as a leverage aid. Kind of like the ground acts as leverage for your legs. The belt is sort of a platform for your abs and obliques to "push" against. The problem is your core does not get the full brunt of the weight when you use the belt, therefor it's not getting as much exercise as it would without the belt. In the long run this actually makes you weaker and more prone to injuries. Secondly, because people mistakenly think that the belt aids or protects the back, it tends to lead to more injuries because people invariably end up trying to lift more than they should thinking they have a safety net in the belt.

The truth is a belt should only be used sparingly if at all. If you are going to use it, it should only be during exercises with very heavy weights and very low reps, such as the 2-4 range. Anything higher than that should not be done with a belt.

Good to know

Did your dad the athletic supporter lift weights? D***

Another in a long line of quality posts by 5180.

5180, you probably have the worst sense of humor in the entire solar system. you say dumb unfunny **** and then say that you're ''only kidding''. WTF is wrong with you?

Another in a long line of quality posts by 5180.

5180, you probably have the worst sense of humor in the entire solar system. you say dumb unfunny **** and then say that you're ''only kidding''. WTF is wrong with you?

Hey dude mind your own business.Ok solar system this!

And your posts are monumental.........dont kid yourself.

Hey dude mind your own business.Ok solar system this!

And your posts are monumental.........dont kid yourself.

Well maybe you can explain what your post meant, since you're the only one that got it. seriously, what in the blue hell were you talking about? and don't get all sensitive on me sweetie.

Thanks to all of those concerned. I just got back from getting some intense cracking and I feel much better. I did a lot of crunches after I got back and then turned over on my stomach and did the old raising opposite arms and legs to strengthen the old back muscles a bit. I feel much better, thank gawd.

Glad to hear that BP. Now have a safe flight and don't party TOO much after the Jets win. ::GoJets:

Well maybe you can explain what your post meant, since you're the only one that got it. seriously, what in the blue hell were you talking about? and don't get all sensitive on me sweetie.

It seemed like he called his father a jock strap for a black dude.

Archived