Some thoughts:

Sperm Edwards

Westhoff is the only CLEARLY above-average coach the Jets have. Both coordinators (and their boss, who they run the gameplans by prior to each game) have looked like they're way over their head.

Thomas Jones is excellent at nothing.

Brett Favre needs to throw passes to guys running a slant route. Great point by JetNation's 124 last week on the subject. Everything else he said was complete garbage, but he was dead-on about that.

Clearly Favre has needed more time than he's had to adjust to the Jets receivers. Throwing Coles in there as starter from week 1, after missing the whole pre-season & never playing a game with Favre to get their timing down, is looking pretty stupid. Even worse given his attitude at the time. Play a couple of guys that are 100% and work Coles in there when (or if) he looks like a #1 WR.

Even though he's done nothing outside of some college & preseason games, David Clowney's return will be much welcomed. Hope it ends up being worth the wait. We have a habit of worshiping false gods here.

Ben Graham punted great in his 2 attempts.

Coles does not fight for the ball like he used to & dogged it after he saw that Cromartie caught it.

Putting Barrett at safety in place of Eric Smith was a good move against a true pass-catching TE. This pre-game adjustment & planning concluded this week's session of good coaching by Eric Mangini.

Sione Pouha didn't need to get a 3 year $6M extension this past spring. I would have been pretty ok with letting him play out his rookie deal & signing him for maybe 1 year after that while we drafted & developed a rookie to play behind Jenkins. Or not. If someone else snagged him, I'd be good with that also.

While he certainly hasn't been a bust, Lowery is just a rookie, and one who doesn't have good top-end speed. We almost forgot that. Bob Sutton clearly did. Looked great at the start of the game at least.

On the opposite side, how many of Rivers' 250 passing yards came against Darelle Revis? Nine?

Leon Washington is just an exciting player to watch. This clearly makes him a non-Mangini-guy. His one carry yesterday brings his three-game total to 9. I don't care if you think he's not a workhorse type who should carry the ball 15-20x per game on offense. Clearly he should get it more than three.

Tell me you didn't think Brad Smith was going to fumble on the one KO he returned. Something about the way he was holding the ball.

Even with Pouha playing most of the game last night, opposing RB's have averaged 3.1ypc overall through 3 games. They still have to do a better job stopping guys on short-yardage, but it's clearly an improvement over the past 3 seasons.

In 2007, the Giants started out 1-2 and all fans of Big Blue were talking about nothing past getting Bill Cowher to replace Tom Coughlin after the season. Two weeks later they almost - and should have - lost to the 4-12 Jets. Three weeks after that Eli Manning looked like he couldn't throw a football any better than the Brits watching the game in the stands, and I think 2-3 of his passes were closer to them than his own receivers. Three weeks after that they were humiliated by the (then) 4-6 Vikings. Two months later they beat an 18-0 team in the superbowl, right after beating three home teams in the playoffs. This isn't an observation of the Jets/SD game, but just an example of how the sky has not yet fallen even when it looks that way.

We're 1-2, not 1-12. Not yet, anyway.

Nice rational post. I agree with all of it.

I have the Jets finishing the year 9-7 barring long term injuries (Jenkins?)

Wins against AZ, CIN, OAK, KC, STL, SF, BUFF (H), MIA.

Losses against BUFF(A), NE, TENN, DEN, SEA.

That aint bad and might put us in the playoffs.

Clearly Favre has needed more time than he's had to adjust to the Jets receivers. Throwing Coles in there as starter from week 1, after missing the whole pre-season & never playing a game with Favre to get their timing down, is looking pretty stupid. Even worse given his attitude at the time. Play a couple of guys that are 100% and work Coles in there when (or if) he looks like a #1 WR.

Coles does not fight for the ball like he used to & dogged it after he saw that Cromartie caught it.

I completely disagree in regards to Coles. I don

Great points sperm, difference between Pouha and Jenkins is they were running on 1st and 2nd down and setting up 3rd and 2's, with Jenkins we got them in 3rd and longs. Our D didnt get off the field regardless but its a much better predicament to be in.

We also had to start run blitzing when Pouha was in there.

On the opposite side, how many of Rivers' 250 passing yards came against Darelle Revis? Nine?

Spermy, that was obviously by design as Rivers and the Chargers were going to go after the rookie.

All in all, I thought Lowery had a decent game and handled the pressure well.

He made a great play (outstanding closing speed) on the deep throw down the right sideline in the first half.

He also had very good coverage on the TD, and the only reason it was a score was because it was an absolutely perfect throw by Rivers. Not much you can do about that.

He did get turned around a bit (but I think he was expecting safety help) on the long completion in the 2nd half.

Rookie CB's will go through growing pains in the NFL. All in all, I thought Lowery played well.

Nice observations. What is also worth noting is that the Jets were rushing 3 men on many occasions, allowing Rivers to dissect the defense. No need for Rivers to wash his jersey thiis week as no Jet laid a hand on him. In addition, it is painfully obvious after 3 games that the Jets are incapable of covering a tight end. Also, Eric Smith needs to sit down so that Barrett or Elam play.

Tony Kornholer is an a$$hole talking about numerous Favre interceptions last night. I counted 2, not numerous.

The offense got some much needed work in the passing game in the second half, hopefully that helps going forward.

One thing I noticed and my dad had mentioned. Where's the fire in this team? They completely go through the motions. There's no enthusiasm for a big play. No energy whatsoever. None. They look about as boring and withdrawn on the field as Mangini looks on the sidelines. Get pumped up for christ's sake. Favre is your friggin QB. You think guys would be biting at the bit for a chance to get out there and show something.

One thing I noticed and my dad had mentioned. Where's the fire in this team? They completely go through the motions. There's no enthusiasm for a big play. No energy whatsoever. None. They look about as boring and withdrawn on the field as Mangini looks on the sidelines. Get pumped up for christ's sake. Favre is your friggin QB. You think guys would be biting at the bit for a chance to get out there and show something.

Great post!!!!!!! I havent seen FIRE since Bryan Cox played for the NYJETS!!!!!

Spermy, that was obviously by design as Rivers and the Chargers were going to go after the rookie.

All in all, I thought Lowery had a decent game and handled the pressure well.

He made a great play (outstanding closing speed) on the deep throw down the right sideline in the first half.

He also had very good coverage on the TD, and the only reason it was a score was because it was an absolutely perfect throw by Rivers. Not much you can do about that.

He did get turned around a bit (but I think he was expecting safety help) on the long completion in the 2nd half.

Rookie CB's will go through growing pains in the NFL. All in all, I thought Lowery played well.

If Lowery was expecting Safety help on that play near the end of the game, then he didn't know the defense called. It was an all out, stop the run, if we do not stop him here the game is over call. Rivers noticed it and called an audible. Lowery had to know it was either going to be some sort of over the top play or a run. However, he was beat in 3 steps.

Brett Favre and the Jets personnel do not mesh, nor does he mesh with the Jet coaching philosophy.

I am convinced that Favre was thrust upon the Jets by ownership that was looking to steal some back page headlines and to justify a forthcoming PSL package.

The move will eventually stall this franchise development for several more years, as well get the braintrust fired.

And the cycle will start again.

There was not a great football motive behind the move to begin with, other than for some people to say "oooooh, Brett Favre".

Brett Favre and the Jets personnel do not mesh, nor does he mesh with the Jet coaching philosophy.

I am convinced that Favre was thrust upon the Jets by ownership that was looking to steal some back page headlines and to justify a forthcoming PSL package.

The move will eventually stall this franchise development for several more years, as well get the braintrust fired.

There was not a great football motive behind the move to begin with, other than for some people to say "oooooh, Brett Favre".

POTW NOM

What exactly is our philosophy?

what sucks again for me is being forced to watch Jets football like I'm zonked out on Thorazine-zombie ball...again...it sucks watching my team lose 15 out of the last 20 games they've played-a win a month ain't good enough-I'm running OUT of months to watch this team...

So were the same as the Herm teams, of course minus the media.

At least we got some laughs out of herm.

Well, Herm hoped that "sweeping the corners" stock recovered.

You have a braintrust that is absolutely frozen by criticism. Once they get critcism in one respect, they knee jerk in the opposite direction when that situation arises again.

I think they are media readers and have rabbit ears.

Listen, I have been called a "sunshiner" on thsi site because of my somewhat glowey outlooks, but this is the most dour I have been on this franchise in my history of watching this club.

Whenever this so called savior unlocks the handcuffs they he has on us, we will be in teh exact same situation we were this pre-season, only some of the names will have changed and the coaching staff will be gone.

I hope I am wrong.

Well, Herm hoped that "sweeping the corners" stock recovered.

You have a braintrust that is absolutely frozen by criticism. Once they get critcism in one respect, they knee jerk in the opposite direction when that situation arises again.

I think they are media readers and have rabbit ears.

Listen, I have been called a "sunshiner" on thsi site because of my somewhat glowey outlooks, but this is the most dour I have been on this franchise in my history of watching this club.

Whenever this so called savior unlocks the handcuffs they he has on us, we will be in teh exact same situation we were this pre-season, only some of the names will have changed and the coaching staff will be gone.

I hope I am wrong.

What it comes down to imo is the defense cant stop anyone. This has been a problem since the beginning of time with this team. Until this is properly addressed, were screwed.

If Lowery was expecting Safety help on that play near the end of the game, then he didn't know the defense called. It was an all out, stop the run, if we do not stop him here the game is over call. Rivers noticed it and called an audible. Lowery had to know it was either going to be some sort of over the top play or a run. However, he was beat in 3 steps.

+1

I totally agree with you.

It was obvious that Rivers called that audible, and both safeties were up in the box to stop the run, one should have dropped back to provide assistance for Lowery after a clear audible was made.

Or Lowery could have figured they were going to take him deep and played the guy a little safer. Giving up a first would be bad, but the TD was ridiculous. Pulling a safety out of the box probably = a rushing first down.

what sucks again for me is being forced to watch Jets football like I'm zonked out on Thorazine-zombie ball...again...it sucks watching my team lose 15 out of the last 20 games they've played-a win a month ain't good enough-I'm running OUT of months to watch this team...

Don't cry SFJ. That **** ended at 5:40 a.m. here and I have to be at work by 8:30. With the jetlag and the Yanks on Monday night, I am one tired mofo and for what?

Favre will be able to move this offense confidently and without as many gaffs after the bye week. Keller, Stuckey and Cotch are plenty good targets and will rack up some yards/points.

Defense is the frightening concern. If Jenkins is down or only 50- 75%- we're S.O.L.

There is no heart, no fire, no channeled anger - do any of these guys know how to strip a ball from an opponent! Or isnt that foremost in their thought process.

There is some great young talent but Sutton doesnt seem to have any ability to motivate or direct them. Suttons boss is looking less Mangenius and more like he should have a bee-adda-bee-adda-bee quote balloon coming out of his mouth.

Also tell Coles to start playing or call Tuna to see if he's got an opening with his butt buddy.

Don't cry SFJ. That **** ended at 5:40 a.m. here and I have to be at work by 8:30. With the jetlag and the Yanks on Monday night, I am one tired mofo and for what?

the sad part Dom is I don't even FEEL like crying-this team has turned me into a zombie-like Jets fan/hybrid.

Then it was a horrible defensive call like I said earlier. It was 2nd and 8.

Westhoff is the only CLEARLY above-average coach the Jets have. Both coordinators (and their boss, who they run the gameplans by prior to each game) have looked like they're way over their head.

Thomas Jones is excellent at nothing.

Brett Favre needs to throw passes to guys running a slant route. Great point by JetNation's 124 last week on the subject. Everything else he said was complete garbage, but he was dead-on about that.

Even though he's done nothing outside of some college & preseason games, David Clowney's return will be much welcomed. Hope it ends up being worth the wait. We have a habit of worshiping false gods here.

Ben Graham punted great in his 2 attempts.

Putting Barrett at safety in place of Eric Smith was a good move against a true pass-catching TE. This pre-game adjustment & planning concluded this week's session of good coaching by Eric Mangini.

Sione Pouha didn't need to get a 3 year $6M extension this past spring. I would have been pretty ok with letting him play out his rookie deal & signing him for maybe 1 year after that while we drafted & developed a rookie to play behind Jenkins. Or not. If someone else snagged him, I'd be good with that also.

While he certainly hasn't been a bust, Lowery is just a rookie, and one who doesn't have good top-end speed. We almost forgot that. Bob Sutton clearly did. Looked great at the start of the game at least.

Leon Washington is just an exciting player to watch. This clearly makes him a non-Mangini-guy. His one carry yesterday brings his three-game total to 9. I don't care if you think he's not a workhorse type who should carry the ball 15-20x per game on offense. Clearly he should get it more than three.

Tell me you didn't think Brad Smith was going to fumble on the one KO he returned. Something about the way he was holding the ball.

Even with Pouha playing most of the game last night, opposing RB's have averaged 3.1ypc overall through 3 games. They still have to do a better job stopping guys on short-yardage, but it's clearly an improvement over the past 3 seasons.

In 2007, the Giants started out 1-2 and all fans of Big Blue were talking about nothing past getting Bill Cowher to replace Tom Coughlin after the season. Two weeks later they almost - and should have - lost to the 4-12 Jets. Three weeks after that Eli Manning looked like he couldn't throw a football any better than the Brits watching the game in the stands, and I think 2-3 of his passes were closer to them than his own receivers. Three weeks after that they were humiliated by the (then) 4-6 Vikings. Two months later they beat an 18-0 team in the superbowl, right after beating three home teams in the playoffs. This isn't an observation of the Jets/SD game, but just an example of how the sky has not yet fallen even when it looks that way.

We're 1-2, not 1-12. Not yet, anyway.

I agree with everything you say and most of what you have here I've already posted about in other threads. I just don't buy into this whole "Favre needs to learn the offense more" stuff either. Vinny learned a new offense in less time in 98 and we had just as many new players on that team as we have on this one. I mean how hard can it be to call a slant? Obviously the coaching staff is allergic to the slant route.

....why does everyone buy into the Favre is God propaganda brought to you by ESPN? He's a terrific talent.....nobody can look better on a broken play than that guy....and he has a very strong arm....I mean his over-throws were awesome last nite ;) He's good....he's not great. There's a reason GB decided to piss off half their fanbase and let the man go. Plus, it appears that he is dumber than a box of rocks. Good thing Bumbelina thinks he looks really good in his wrangler jeans.

I'm mostly bustin'.....you all deserve it ;).

Look on the bright side. Your team will improve, offensively and defensively (with Jenkins plugging up the middle). The Pats - defensively, yes, I will call last week an abberation. The offense? With Cassel - no chance. Zero. Nadda. 'Aint happening.

....why does everyone buy into the Favre is God propaganda brought to you by ESPN? He's a terrific talent.....nobody can look better on a broken play than that guy....and he has a very strong arm....I mean his over-throws were awesome last nite ;) He's good....he's not great. There's a reason GB decided to piss off half their fanbase and let the man go. Plus, it appears that he is dumber than a box of rocks. Good thing Bumbelina thinks he looks really good in his wrangler jeans.

I'm mostly bustin'.....you all deserve it ;).

Look on the bright side. Your team will improve, offensively and defensively (with Jenkins plugging up the middle). The Pats - defensively, yes, I will call last week an abberation. The offense? With Cassel - no chance. Zero. Nadda. 'Aint happening.

heh at least you got your Jills;)

final standings

Jills 10-6 (only one making dance)

patsies 9-7

Jests 6-10

Phins 6-10

I agree with everything you say and most of what you have here I've already posted about in other threads. I just don't buy into this whole "Favre needs to learn the offense more" stuff either. Vinny learned a new offense in less time in 98 and we had just as many new players on that team as we have on this one. I mean how hard can it be to call a slant? Obviously the coaching staff is allergic to the slant route.

Vinny also bounced from team to team with different systems. Favre has had one system since 1991, imaging driving automatic for more than fifteen years and suddenly being forced to take up stick, its going to take time.

I'll give Favre and the rest of this team till after the bye, they always seem to make their adjustments then (at least the past 2 yrs anyways) and with an easy schedule should be able to win more than a few games and continue to gel for crunch time.

If this team continues to struggle though then we can call for the sky to fall

Vinny also bounced from team to team with different systems. Favre has had one system since 1991, imaging driving automatic for more than fifteen years and suddenly being forced to take up stick, its going to take time.

I'll give Favre and the rest of this team till after the bye, they always seem to make their adjustments then (at least the past 2 yrs anyways) and with an easy schedule should be able to win more than a few games and continue to gel for crunch time.

If this team continues to struggle though then we can call for the sky to fall

Favre has had to adjust to different offensive coaches and schemes before.

He just does not fit the Jet personnel.

I hate to say this, but the best thing that can happen to the Jets is Favre suffers a season ending injury.

Archived