what is a conditional draft pick?

LionelRichie

this may be a dumb question but what is a conditional draft pick in the context of the 2 trades the jets made?

I believe TB sent a conditional pick to dallas for pete hunter - what was that conditional on, him making the team? does that mean NY gets the pick back?

How about McGlass - what is that all about? what did TB get for McGlass and what are the 'conditions'? if he has to make it through the season w/o getting hurt than TB isn't getting anything in return.

There are better posters suited to answer but I believe it usually is dependent on the team giving up the picks finish in the standings the year the pick is agreed upon for.

Ie....for Hunter the Jets may have said if we are in top 10 in the 2006 draft, the pick, say a 3rd rounder defaults to 2007 rather than 2006.

Another variation is they may have said if Hunter makes the team it's a 3rd rounder if not a 5th.

There are better posters suited to answer but I believe it usually is dependent on the team giving up the picks finish in the standings the year the pick is agreed upon for.

Ie....for Hunter the Jets may have said if we are in top 10 in the 2006 draft, the pick, say a 3rd rounder defaults to 2007 rather than 2006.

Another variation is they may have said if Hunter makes the team it's a 3rd rounder if not a 5th.

thanks. i really hope the jets didn't give much up for hunter. they could have pulled a guy off the street and gotten the same 10 days worth of practice out of him.

do you know what TB got in return for mcgraw?

the "conditions" can vary from deal to deal but most commonly it is based on a percentage of the team's defensive (or offensive) snaps. If Jon McGraw participates in 90% of the Lions defensive snaps they give up a higher pick then if he participates in 15% of those snaps. Where the breakdowns are is not a static thing and part of the trade negotiation. As I said these deals can have other conditions.

the "conditions" can vary from deal to deal but most commonly it is based on a percentage of the team's defensive (or offensive) snaps. If Jon McGraw participates in 90% of the Lions defensive snaps they give up a higher pick then if he participates in 15% of those snaps. Where the breakdowns are is not a static thing and part of the trade negotiation. As I said these deals can have other conditions.

AS usual Bitonti has it on the money-the deals are usually based on the playing time of the player- the more he plays the higher the draft pick compensation

Archived