Is Chad Pennington Worth $64 Mil?

Smizzy

Meddle, that quote was made July 30, 2004. The way I interpet that is that "one year remaining" meant the 2005 season.

If 2004 was the final year don't you think they would have said "he is in the final year of his contract"?

I'm not 100% sure on this however.

Anybody know?

bit, I know you know. =D>

There were articles (I wrote one) about Tuna potentially stealing Chad and about how the Jets could not tag all three guys (not Becht obviously). I am pretty sure about this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were articles about Tuna potentially stealing Chad and about how the Jets could not tag all three guys (not Becht obviously). I am pretty sure about this.

Hopefully we get clarification.

However, if you are correct and 2004 was his final year, then yes, the Jets did the right thing by extending him when they did.

But if he was signed through 2005, I stand by my original post that the Jets jumped the gun too quickly.

However, if you are correct and 2004 was his final year, then yes, the Jets did the right thing by extending him when they did.

But if he was signed through 2005, I stand by my original post that the Jets jumped the gun too quickly.

his contract ran out in '04. hindsight is 20-20, in retrospect the jets overpaid for chadwick, they could have taken a wait and see approach and at worst applied the franchise tag and let abe walk if they couldn't agree to an extension.

these are the things that happen to a cursed franchise.

at the time of the deal chad was the 'face' of the franchise, a title that may end up belonging to vilma.

at this point it isn't even worth discussing b/c for better or worse chadwick is here to stay - there isn't much felxibility with the contract so now it's time to keep our fingers crossed that his shoulder heals.

I'm about to gain some foes here but i have to say this:

Even if you put the real numbers of that extension ($22 mill) I think he is way overpaid, he is not closer to the best qb in the conference, he doesnt deserve Brady-type of money, I agree that he is good, but he isnt in the same class as Manning, brady, Trent Green, carson palmer just to name a few, that is why i think he is overpaid, sorry!!!

RIGHT NOW?

No he is not worth 64 million

Look how much alex smith got? Was he worth that much? I dont think so either

Bottom Line: The Jets couldnt let Pennington walk. We had to get him signed, and we did. And I'm happy about that.

I think by the time his contract expires we will all think he was worth the 64 million dollar contract.

They waited on Abe. They waited on McKenzie. How did that work out for them? Hindsight is 20/20.

If Chad didn't get hurt last year the Jets would have won the Superbowl. And it would have been a bargain.

Take that.

=D>=D>

Notice when TX pulls stats he leaves off the 02 beating in NE Chad gave his boys.

If Pennington had hit the market healthy which requires hindsight he would have been signed for a similiar contract immediately.

Notice when TX pulls stats he leaves off the 02 beating in NE Chad gave his boys.

If Pennington had hit the market he would have been signed for a similiar contract immediately.

Shelter, you are usually a smarter poster than that.

First off, that was one game in PennyBoy's illustrious career against a poor defense that was ranked dead last against the run.

How has he performed against top-rated defenses? :shock:

Secondly, not one other team in the NFL would have paid the China Doll the money the Jets doled out.

Shelter, you are usually a smarter poster than that.

First off, that was one game in PennyBoy's illustrious career against a poor defense that was ranked dead last against the run.

How has he performed against top-rated defenses? :shock:

Secondly, not one other team in the NFL would have paid the China Doll the money the Jets doled out.

Sorry sport you don't get to decide which games apply to your critique. Chad has been a starting QB for 3 seasons and been in the play-offs twice with teams that were projected to go nowhere.

Does that make him Manning or Brady...No.

It also doesn't make him a bad QB.

Just making the play-offs is not the ultimate goal but he is a solid QB.

If he was as bad as you endlessy state, why would you bother spending 3/4 of your waking hours consumed with him?

Sorry sport you don't get to decide which games apply to your critique. Chad has been a starting QB for 3 seasons and been in the play-offs twice with teams that were projected to go nowhere.

Does that make him Manning or Brady...No.

It also doesn't make him a bad QB.

Just making the play-offs is not the ultimate goal but he is a solid QB.

If he was as bad as you endlessy state, why would you bother spending 3/4 of your waking hours consumed with him?

Show me some post where I have ever said PennyBoy is a "bad" quarterback. There arnen't any. :wink:

What I have consistently said about the China Doll figurine is that he is only a 10-15 NFL QB.

He is no where near a top 5 or top 10 QB that the majority of Jets fans make him out to be.

All I do is try and keep the threads objective. :wink:

Show me some post where I have ever said PennyBoy is a "bad" quarterback. There arnen't any. :wink:

Bullsh*t. 98% of your posts are chad related, and they are nothing but negative. Whenever Jets fans are enthusiastic about something, no matter what it is, you are here to shoot it down. I've never had a problem chatting with rival fans, but your sole purpose here is to stir up trouble.

You've made some real BS posts before, but this one here takes the cake.

Bullsh*t. 98% of your posts are chad related, and they are nothing but negative. Whenever Jets fans are enthusiastic about something, no matter what it is, you are here to shoot it down. I've never had a problem chatting with rival fans, but your sole purpose here is to stir up trouble.

You've made some real BS posts before, but this one here takes the cake.

Now, now, now... that's not fair. 50% of his posts are Chat related. 25% try to make fun of GG and fail. The other 25% rip on other Jet posters on the board.

What I have consistently said about the China Doll figurine is that he is only a 10-15 NFL QB.

He is no where near a top 5 or top 10 QB that the majority of Jets fans make him out to be.

No, Tex, you've never come and said outright that Chad blows, but we all remember your comment about 30 backup quarterbacks being better than Chad.

You've inferred that he sucks with that statement. I asked you to list them, and spotted you twenty, and you never responded. You also continue to harp on Chad never playing a full season, yet he did have 14 starts in 2002. It wasn't due to injury that he missed four starts, it was due to Vinny.

I think overall the grade on Chad is incomplete. I love had, and his potential, but he has not played enough games for me to give him a grade.

No, Tex, you've never come and said outright that Chad blows, but we all remember your comment about 30 backup quarterbacks being better than Chad.

Miami, nice taking my words out of context. #-o

Just to refresh your memory, my comment was made that 32 backup QB's are better than PennyBoy AT 75% (or some percentage).

Thanks for the breakdown. Still doesn't look good with those numbers either. :lol:

I do what I can... I just don't like seeing him called out for things he doesn't always do. It's bad enough on that "other" Jets board.

Besides, if you look over his posts over the past two months, they've either been Penny posts or trying to make fun of GG. It's true!

Chadwick is currently overpaid IMO, and his injury history should be aserious concern for EVERY Jets fan.

It's bad enough to have "franchise" D-End who can only play 1/2 to 3/4 of a season. It's a whole nother ball-of-pain when it's your #1 QB playing that little.

When Chadwick plays a whole season, I'll be impressed and happy. Till then, his injury issues make his contract too much.

And before anyone slams me here, remember, I am NOT Tex. I am as much a Jet fan as any of you. I even LIKE Chadwick (alot actually). I am simply realistic about his health, and am not going to sugar coat the damage it does to our team every time he gets hurt.

If Chad could stay healthy, I think he can be a top 5 QB, EVEN with his weak arm. But injured 1/4 of every season, he's average, at best.

Pats fans get pissed when China Doll doesn't play.

Always a better chance for a Pats win when he plays.

1 TD and 7 INT's in last 3 appearances against the Pats.

Yep, well worth $64 mil. :^o

I would not be oppossed to the Patriots' picking up a portion of that $64 million just to keep him in the division. 8)

Pats fans get pissed when China Doll doesn't play.

Always a better chance for a Pats win when he plays.

1 TD and 7 INT's in last 3 appearances against the Pats.

Yep, well worth $64 mil. :^o

How many of those picks were made by a guy who could be picking off BRADY this season and perhaps beyond?

We'll see how much you pick off Pennington going forward. Don't expect the kind of gimmes you got from Roethlisberger and McNabb.

How many of those picks were made by a guy who could be picking off BRADY this season and perhaps beyond?

We'll see how much you pick off Pennington going forward. Don't expect the kind of gimmes you got from Roethlisberger and McNabb.

1 of them. :roll:

No, we do not expect any easy ones due to Chad's accuracy. However, we expect some soft ones a knat could catch.

Question for the PAThetics... wasn't Pennington the last QB to win up in NE for like a 2yr period?

Not sure if that fact is still in tact as I am not as consumed with the Pats as you are with us(hell you live here) but it does boggles the mind how such a terrible QB held that distinction.

I guess thats why TX aways says "in Chad last 3 games against NE" rather than include that game.

Save the reply about the Pats dee in 02 as well because we have heard it before.

Question for the PAThetics... wasn't Pennington the last QB to win up in NE for like a 2yr period?

Not sure if that fact is still in tact as I am not as consumed with the Pats as you are with us(hell you live here) but it does boggles the mind how such a terrible QB held that distinction.

I guess thats why TX aways says "in Chad last 3 games against NE" rather than include that game.

Save the reply about the Pats dee in 02 as well because we have heard it before.

That was the Patriots' last home loss that counted.

Penny got exposed against the Rai-duhs. Brady went through it. A full offseason of studying film afetr their first ttile, gave other NFL teams a leg up on Brady. It is not a coincidence he had a losing record against winning teams in 2002? No.

Chad set the league on fire in 2002 and the Rai-duhs undressed him. Jets' fans like to use his injuries as a crutch. That is BS. His game has not evolved in the past few years. Brady was as pathetic and probably more so because he throws some ducks from time to time, but over the past two seasons he has been decent at throwing deep passes. No, not Manning or Marino good, but good enough the defense has to respect it.

For the record, in the last Patriots' loss, Chad was en fuego for about the first 20 minutes of the game when he had most of his yards for that game. The Jets hero for that game was Troy Brown. The Patriots had momentuem after tying the game at 17. If he does not muff that punt inside his own 20 yard line, the Patriots' might have won the division.

Yeah, I missed that little detail. :roll:

Chad has had his moments against NE. He'll have more of them. The more he plays against them, the better he'll get.

Yeah, I missed that little detail. :roll:

Chad has had his moments against NE. He'll have more of them. The more he plays against them, the better he'll get.

However, the more he has played the worst he has gotten? Must be the coaching.

What are you blabbering about?

He threw what was it 5 ints in 2003? I think it was because thats all tx kept saying last offseason.

If JMac didnt bobble that pass 3 times in his hand and drop it instead of pulling it in at foxboro last season the Jets would have beaten the pats AGAIN at their own home.

We'll see sport . Torn rotator cuff aside we will see. The NFL is ciricular and always has been.

What in the world will you do when this run ends?

Suddenly your Football IQ will take a hit and somehow you will have to fill your lifes void of no longer hanging on opposing teams message boards simply because the PATS became relevant in 2001.

We'll see sport . Torn rotator cuff aside we will see. The NFL is ciricular and always has been.

What in the world will you do when this run ends?

Suddenly your Football IQ will take a hit and somehow you will have to fill your lifes void of no longer hanging on opposing teams message boards simply because the PATS became relevant in 2001.

Hard to argue with that.

Archived