Where are my Italian Cement Contractors?

The Gun Of Bavaria

Anyone with knowledge of cement work.

tomorrow I'm 'pouring' cement to secure the base of my new 20 ft flagpole at my house. The hole will be 12in in diameter, 26 inches deep. I'm using a precast mold 12" wide and can cut to depth. Per the formula, I'm using 4 x 50lbs bags of Quickrete fast setting cement.

According the bag the concrete should 'set' in 20-25 minutes.

It says nothing about the curing time of it.

I guess my question is, when the concrete base 'sets' with my basepole solidly secured in it, can I put the other sections of pole up and put it into operation or should I wait to add the 'rest' of the flagpole once it cures. If so, how long should I wait and how do I do that properly to keep the moisture locked in.

Thanks

Concrete "sets" quickly, but that doesn't mean it can support weight. I'd give it a full 24 hours to harden to the point where it wont separate from the pole base. I'd go 36" with the hole, and use a 10" sonotube (carboard mold). Dig the hole wider than the tube, set the tube in, pour a bag of concrete into it, then lift the tube about 6 inches so that the conrete mushrooms out of the bottom, creating and anchor for the base. Backfill the hole around the tube, then pour the rest of the concrete. Set your pole, tie it off with twine, anchoring it in three or four directions to keep it from shifting. Give it a day, cut the twine and you should be set. Make sure you backfill around the cured concrete, packing in the earth around it.

damn sirlance, thanks man. Good stuff.

One more question though...we're expecting rain late this afternoon and this weekend. Will the rain interfere with the curing or be good for it? From what I hear the concrete should 'set' 4-5 hours before the rain hits town.

Thanks sirlance, apprciate the help.

Anyone with knowledge of cement work.

tomorrow I'm 'pouring' cement to secure the base of my new 20 ft flagpole at my house. The hole will be 12in in diameter, 26 inches deep. I'm using a precast mold 12" wide and can cut to depth. Per the formula, I'm using 4 x 50lbs bags of Quickrete fast setting cement.

Gun, whose body are you getting rid of?

Once the concrete skins over, the rain shouldn't effect it. If you can get it done a couple of hours before the rain, you'll be fine so long as the surrounding ground doesn't saturate and fill your hole with water, which might collapse the tube (the concrete will still set, it'll just take longer).

Once the concrete skins over, the rain shouldn't effect it. If you can get it done a couple of hours before the rain, you'll be fine so long as the surrounding ground doesn't saturate and fill your hole with water, which might collapse the tube (the concrete will still set, it'll just take longer).

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.

im no expert but what little i do know of concrete tells me that 24 hrs isnt enough. i know that when you pour a slab, you need to give 7-10 days before messing around with it.

id wait a couple of days at least before you hoist the communist flag over detriot =D>

=D>=D>=D>

that would be some funny stuff.

ussr.gif

im no expert but what little i do know of concrete tells me that 24 hrs isnt enough. i know that when you pour a slab, you need to give 7-10 days before messing around with it.

id wait a couple of days at least before you hoist the communist flag over detriot =D>

Yeah, a slab needs a few days, whereas a footing only needs a day or two. The reason is actually a bit odd. Concrete cures through a chemical process that creates heat. The bigger the slab, the more heat and thus the more expansion of the slab, and more likely it'll crack. Slabs need expansion joints, chicken wire and rebar to hold them together and prevent cracking. really big slabs have to be poured in sections and at intervals. A footing sets up in no time and has none of these issues. A day or two should do the trick.

Archived