**** Official Hockey East 2008-09 Season Thread ****

Lil Bit Special

Don't even think about taking Merrimack away from Lowell as they were our biggest rival in not being the 8 seed back in the day (We all made the playoffs back then!).

Are you going to Conte on Friday and Mullins on Saturday for the BC games?

I probably wont make the Conte game, but i am planning on the trip out to Scumherst Sat. (read the blog and you'll see why I said that:D)

BTW, just read the blog again... that guy has a real hard-on for umass. Christ, Im surprised he didnt bash the free parking or the lack of lines in the bathroom.

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, just read the blog again... that guy has a real hard-on for umass. Christ, Im surprised he didnt bash the free parking or the lack of lines in the bathroom.

Or the lack of a band and crappy ice at the Mullins. We have free parking as well plus a bar within walking distance!

January 17th UMass at Lowell. February 7th Lowell at UMass.

Home ice will still be up for grabs. I know the game at Lowell is easy for both of us to make. The game at UMass? I'll drive and buy the tix as I want to make my 1st trip to the Mullins Center.

Or the lack of a band and crappy ice at the Mullins. We have free parking as well plus a bar within walking distance!

January 17th UMass at Lowell. February 7th Lowell at UMass.

Home ice will still be up for grabs. I know the game at Lowell is easy for both of us to make. The game at UMass? I'll drive and buy the tix as I want to make my 1st trip to the Mullins Center.

A band? Thats crazy. The a tape of the band playing the UMass fight song is good enough.;)

the walk from the parking area at umass is probably as close as the brewery is. and our tickets are cheap. cheapest in HE i believe. $12 for general admission. You only have free parking if you're smart enough to know where to park.

A band? Thats crazy. The a tape of the band playing the UMass fight song is good enough.;)

the walk from the parking area at umass is probably as close as the brewery is. and our tickets are cheap. cheapest in HE i believe. $12 for general admission. You only have free parking if you're smart enough to know where to park.

$14 at the Tsongas if you buy them at the ticket window plus Notini's doesn't charge for parking in Lowell.

I'm sure parking in a cow pasture is pretty easy out in Amherst!

I'm thinking about going to the Lowell/NU game on Saturday.

$14 at the Tsongas if you buy them at the ticket window plus Notini's doesn't charge for parking in Lowell.

I'm sure parking in a cow pasture is pretty easy out in Amherst!

I'm thinking about going to the Lowell/NU game on Saturday.

still over priced for an arena that doesnt have a replay board or a scoreboard that can actually work.:)

you cant park in the cow pasture. the environmentalists dont like it... although the extended lot is dirt and gravel which is a lot of fun on a snowy night walking through slop and mud.

still over priced for an arena that doesnt have a replay board or a scoreboard that can actually work.:)

The high school board at the end of the arena is perfectly good. Who needs replays anyway?

If the City and University ever figure out what to do with The Tsongas I would expect some major upgrades. I think the Devils lease is up soon so maybe that would entice the school to take Tsongas off of the City's hands if the they leave town.

Or we could just move back to Tulley Forum!

Who needs replay when you can see and hear the student section telling the goalie he sucks and is a sieve?

I like Umass fans better.

Introduction of visiting team:

(after every player) SUCKS!

Penalty against visiting team: SEE YA ASS HOLE!!!!!!

Goal by UMass- HEY YOU SUCK.. F#CK EM UP F#CK EM UP GO UMASS!!!!!!!!!

And the UMass chant twice a period.

Thats the best they can do.

I like Umass fans better.

Introduction of visiting team:

(after every player) SUCKS!

Penalty against visiting team: SEE YA ASS HOLE!!!!!!

Goal by UMass- HEY YOU SUCK.. F#CK EM UP F#CK EM UP GO UMASS!!!!!!!!!

And the UMass chant twice a period.

Thats the best they can do.

If they stopped playing crappy canned songs and let the band play at Lowell it would be a much better atmosphere. Isn't that what college hockey is all about?

Look at Alfond. Great place to watch a game as the students/crowd are into the game from the start.

It doesn't help Lowell or UMass that they both play in sterile lifeless buildings.

Wow. What a game tonight between BC and UMass out in Amherst.

Lots of action, lots of chippy play, and a fight with 4 players on each team getting 10 min misconducts. Penalty Box was jammed..

I've never seen such a talented team take so many cheap shots. I'm a fan of Jerry York, but I was very disappointed in the way his team acted tonight. They are quite talented and will be one of the top teams in the nation at the end of the year. Its sad they played like a bunch of goons.

It was great to see almost a full house in Amherst. Over 8,300 showed up for Operation 8k. The students really turned out tonight, which for the first time in my memory they didnt sell GA seats to the public because of the amount of students.

And in the end UMass pulled out an overtime victory over a top ranked team.

Here's the recap from hockeyeastonline.comAMHERST, Mass. - Casey Wellman ended one of the wildest games of the season as his goal at 4:19 of overtime gave the Mass Attack a thrilling 4-3 victory over Boston College in front of a sellout crowd of 8,389 fans on Saturday evening at the Mullins Center.

(It wasnt a sellout. I guess God was sitting in the 2 seats next to me... There were a bunch of empty seats, but definitely the largest crowd I've ever seen for a UMass hockey game)

The Minutemen jumped out to a 3-2 lead after one period, but Benn Ferriero responded to tie the score in the second period. After no scoring in the third, it was Wellman who poked in a loose puck for his second of the season. UMass improves to 6-4-1, 4-3-1 in Hockey East play, after splitting the home-and-home with the Eagles.

With the limited scoring in last night's game, goals came in bunches during the first period, and it was the Minutemen that took a 3-2 lead heading into the first intermission. Just 1:18 into the stanza, Marcou got UMass on the board when he wrapped a backhand past Muse for his sixth goal of the season. Martin Nolet and Wellman assisted on the goal.

Boston College responded quickly, however, with two goals in two minutes. The first came 2:05 into the period when Jimmy Hayes finished off a tic-tac-toe pass with Ben Smith and Paul Carey. The Eagles took the lead just 1:42 later when Kyle Kucharski netted his fourth goal of the season as he banged home a loose puck from in front of the net.

Marcou brought the game to a 2-2 tie near the midway mark of the frame as he scored his second goal of the game. After Marcou picked up a drop pass, he skated into the slot and wristed a shot that beat Muse glove side. Nolet gave the Minutemen the lead with three minutes to play in the period when he scored his first goal of the season. Nolet picked up a drop pass from Mike Lecomte and flung a shot through traffic that got by Muse.

Fireworks went off in the second period, with 20 penalties being called between both teams, including eight 10 minute misconducts at the 7:11 mark of the frame. After Nick Petrecki cross-checked Wellman into Muse after a flurry of UMass opportunities, a scrap broke out in the Boston College zone. In all, eight players were sent to the penalty box.

Following the altercation, the Eagles tied up the game when Ferriero got his second goal of the season when he sniped a wrist shot from the top of left faceoff dot that beat Dainton glove side.

The game went to overtime after a scoreless and penalty-free third period that saw both goaltenders make key saves to keep their respective clubs in the game.

After killing off an overtime Eagles power play, the Minutemen converted for the game-winner with less than a minute to play. The puck was thrown to the net and Wellman found himself in the right place at the right time for his second goal of the season.

The Eagles outshot UMass, 42-41, while Boston College was 0-5 on the power play to UMass' 0-3. In total, 112 minutes of penalties were called (58 for UMass, 54 for Boston College), 106 of them in the second period.

The Minutemen are back home Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. vs. the Vermont Catamounts in a game to be broadcast on CN8.

This weekend's recap:

Friday:

VT 4-3 over BU at BU

Maine 2-1 over Merrimack at Maine

Northeastern 3-2 over UNH at Northeastern

Lowell 6-1 over Providence at Lowell

BC 2-0 over UMass at BC

Sat:

VT 4-3 over BU at BU

Merrimack/ Maine tie 1-1 at Maine

UNH 4-3 over Providence at UNH

Northeastern 4-3 over Lowell at Lowell

UMass 4-3 (OT) over BC at UMass

STANDINGS:

1. Northeastern- 15pts (10 games)

2. BC- 11pts (9 games)

t3. Maine- 9pts (7 games)

t3. UMass- 9pts (8 games)

t3. Vermont- 9pts (8 games)

t6. Lowell- 8pts (7 games)

t6. BU- 8pts (8 games)

t6. UNH- 8pts (8 games)

9. Merrimack- 4pts (8 games)

10. Providence-1pt (9 games)

Wow. What a game tonight between BC and UMass out in Amherst.

Lots of action, lots of chippy play, and a fight with 4 players on each team getting 10 min misconducts. Penalty Box was jammed..

I've never seen such a talented team take so many cheap shots. I'm a fan of Jerry York, but I was very disappointed in the way his team acted tonight. They are quite talented and will be one of the top teams in the nation at the end of the year. Its sad they played like a bunch of goons.

It was great to see almost a full house in Amherst. Over 8,300 showed up for Operation 8k. The students really turned out tonight, which for the first time in my memory they didnt sell GA seats to the public because of the amount of students.

And in the end UMass pulled out an overtime victory over a top ranked team.

Here's the recap from hockeyeastonline.comAMHERST, Mass. - Casey Wellman ended one of the wildest games of the season as his goal at 4:19 of overtime gave the Mass Attack a thrilling 4-3 victory over Boston College in front of a sellout crowd of 8,389 fans on Saturday evening at the Mullins Center.

(It wasnt a sellout. I guess God was sitting in the 2 seats next to me... There were a bunch of empty seats, but definitely the largest crowd I've ever seen for a UMass hockey game)

The Minutemen jumped out to a 3-2 lead after one period, but Benn Ferriero responded to tie the score in the second period. After no scoring in the third, it was Wellman who poked in a loose puck for his second of the season. UMass improves to 6-4-1, 4-3-1 in Hockey East play, after splitting the home-and-home with the Eagles.

With the limited scoring in last night's game, goals came in bunches during the first period, and it was the Minutemen that took a 3-2 lead heading into the first intermission. Just 1:18 into the stanza, Marcou got UMass on the board when he wrapped a backhand past Muse for his sixth goal of the season. Martin Nolet and Wellman assisted on the goal.

Boston College responded quickly, however, with two goals in two minutes. The first came 2:05 into the period when Jimmy Hayes finished off a tic-tac-toe pass with Ben Smith and Paul Carey. The Eagles took the lead just 1:42 later when Kyle Kucharski netted his fourth goal of the season as he banged home a loose puck from in front of the net.

Marcou brought the game to a 2-2 tie near the midway mark of the frame as he scored his second goal of the game. After Marcou picked up a drop pass, he skated into the slot and wristed a shot that beat Muse glove side. Nolet gave the Minutemen the lead with three minutes to play in the period when he scored his first goal of the season. Nolet picked up a drop pass from Mike Lecomte and flung a shot through traffic that got by Muse.

Fireworks went off in the second period, with 20 penalties being called between both teams, including eight 10 minute misconducts at the 7:11 mark of the frame. After Nick Petrecki cross-checked Wellman into Muse after a flurry of UMass opportunities, a scrap broke out in the Boston College zone. In all, eight players were sent to the penalty box.

Following the altercation, the Eagles tied up the game when Ferriero got his second goal of the season when he sniped a wrist shot from the top of left faceoff dot that beat Dainton glove side.

The game went to overtime after a scoreless and penalty-free third period that saw both goaltenders make key saves to keep their respective clubs in the game.

After killing off an overtime Eagles power play, the Minutemen converted for the game-winner with less than a minute to play. The puck was thrown to the net and Wellman found himself in the right place at the right time for his second goal of the season.

The Eagles outshot UMass, 42-41, while Boston College was 0-5 on the power play to UMass' 0-3. In total, 112 minutes of penalties were called (58 for UMass, 54 for Boston College), 106 of them in the second period.

The Minutemen are back home Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. vs. the Vermont Catamounts in a game to be broadcast on CN8.

And here is the picture of the game winning goal

uma-bc_-1122.jpg

STANDINGS AS OF DEC 1st

1. Northeastern- 15pts

2. Vermont- 13pts

3. BC-11pts

4. Lowell- 10pts

t5. Maine- 9pts

t5. UMass-9pts

t7. BU-8pts

t7. UNH-8pts

9. Merrimack-6pts

10. Providence- 1pt.

Lowell has a home and home with UNH this weekend. I will be pissed if Lowell doesn't pick up at least 2 or 3 points.

UMass should destroy UConn as they shouldn't even have a hockey team.

Lowell has a home and home with UNH this weekend. I will be pissed if Lowell doesn't pick up at least 2 or 3 points.

UMass should destroy UConn as they shouldn't even have a hockey team.

Better luck tomorrow. ;)

2008-09 HOCKEY EAST STANDINGS

transparent.gif

transparent.gif

Hockey East

Overall

GP

W

L

T

Pts

GF

GA

W

L

T

GF

GA

Northeastern

Vermont

Boston College

UMass Lowell

New Hampshire

Boston University

Maine

Massachusetts

Merrimack

Providence

Better luck tomorrow. ;)

Awful weekend for Lowell and an excellent weekend for UNH. I was in Baltimore last weekend and watched the Saturday night game thanks to CN8. UNH scored with a minute left to take the lead. That sucked balls and, yes, I was pissed.

It doesn't get any better tomorrow. Lowell plays at BU before heading off for a tournament in Chicago against Minnesota-Duluth, Notre Dame and Union in early January.

Notre Dame is the #1 team in the Country with a 12-3-2 record and Minnesota-Duluth is 7-4-5.

• 2 weeks later...
I know. Northeastern and Vermont on top? WTF?

Vermont just gets it done. I have no idea why as they play the most boring hockey outside of the mid '90's New Jersey Devils.

Northeastern was a decent team last year and have built on it this season so I have no problem with that.

Vermont just gets it done. I have no idea why as they play the most boring hockey outside of the mid '90's New Jersey Devils.

Northeastern was a decent team last year and have built on it this season so I have no problem with that.

You are not helping. I am just trying to rationalize the Wildcats slow start. Damm, hanging around a Jets' forum is starting to rob off. I feel dirty. ;)

You are not helping. I am just trying to rationalize the Wildcats slow start. Damm, hanging around a Jets' forum is starting to rob off. I feel dirty. ;)

I need Jay (Lil Bit Special) to back me up on Vermont playing the worst hockey ever and UNH having the biggest dick of a Coach in the history of Hockey East apart from Jack Parker.

I need Jay (Lil Bit Special) to back me up on Vermont playing the worst hockey ever and UNH having the biggest dick of a Coach in the history of Hockey East apart from Jack Parker.

For a guy who has never won the big game, Dick Umile is a huge dick. At least Parker wins. I dont like or respect Dickie U.

And Vermont plays the most boring game.. you cant figure out how the hell they beat you. They lull you to sleep.

Archived