Blaylock

GimmeShelter

Jets sign Blaylock

Thursday, March 03, 2005

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets reached a deal with free agent running back Derrick Blaylock on Thursday, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Blaylock, entering his fifth NFL season, signed a five-year, $11.1 million deal that included a $3.2 million signing bonus. The Jets lost backup runing back Lamont Jordan to the Raiders earlier in the day.

Last season for the Kansas City Chiefs, Blaylock rushed for 539 yards and eight touchdowns last season with the Chiefs as Priest Holmes' backup. He's a speedy, change-of-pace back who'll spell veteran Curtis Martin.

"Derrick is thrilled," said Blaylock's agent, Mike Huyghue. "It's a great opportunity. The Jets are a great club. They were a heartbeat away from the Super Bowl last season. He can be a great complimentary back to Curtis Martin. It's just a great situation."

Huyghue said his client may have gotten more money elsewhere, but the Jets are the team he wanted to play for.

"Derrick just feels really comfortable with his role with the Jets," Huyghue said. "He likes (coach) Herman Edwards and (running back coach) Dick Curl. He knew (general manager) Terry Bradway from Kansas City. He was just overwhelmed with the interview process."

Wow, we did something.

[/mock joy]

Yeah it only took us 36 hours.lol Just drag up a list of KC players and we are going right after all of them. Knew Terry was good for something.LOL

Oh NO< Here comes Vonnie Holliday! LOL

Can't believe that The Jets were this agressive for a backup RB. Blaylock got a decent deal for a backup.

Good insurance for the league's #1 rusher. Curtis Martin. Blaylock can run and catch. I give it 3 games before savage starts to screaming for more carries for him.LOL

Safe to say that you can check off RB as a draft need now.

This isn't a bad signing, but the length of the contract worries me.

I don't see why we couldn't have just drafted a running back. Now, if we do draft a running back and he flashes talent like Lamont did, then we'll have to eat Blaylock's contract, although the bonus is very pedestrian.

Yeah it only took us 36 hours.lol Just drag up a list of KC players and we are going right after all of them. Knew Terry was good for something.LOL

Oh NO< Here comes Vonnie Holliday! LOL

Can't believe that The Jets were this agressive for a backup RB. Blaylock got a decent deal for a backup.

Good insurance for the league's #1 rusher. Curtis Martin. Blaylock can run and catch. I give it 3 games before savage starts to screaming for more carries for him.LOL

Safe to say that you can check off RB as a draft need now.

Not me my Oracle Buddy!! I want Martin to get

every Carry,play some defense and sell Beer and

Hotdogs at half time!! :wink:

Quality backup RB ... nothing less and nothing more

All this does is secure a Quality backup for the forseeable future, but we still need an heir to our 32 Year old feature back

For now Blaylock can be Martin's backup, and tomorrow he can be the new franchise RB's backup ... assuming we are fortunate enough to find a young feature RB in the draft

All this does is secure a Quality backup for the forseeable future, but we still need an heir to our 32 Year old feature back

For now Blaylock can be Martin's backup, and tomorrow he can be the new franchise RB's backup ... assuming we are fortunate enough to find a young feature RB in the draft

What it did was fill a hole.

Job done in my book. Is it the big signing? no but it was one we needed to make and now it's done,case closed.

GJH I agree. He'll never be a franchise RB but he's certainly a quality back and will be getting paid fairly for what he'll do.

If the one of the big 3 RB's is at #26 ( which I have a very strong feeling one of them will drop.) Then I would love for us to pick them up.

This also lets wait until the 4th to draft a RB. Although if Moats is sitting there for us in round 3 TB better be running up to the podium to announce his name.

This is AWESOME! We haven't been the same team since Dexter Carter retired. :lol:

LOL!!

Nah, Blaylock is a nice backup/change-of-pace guy ... he'll do that job very well

But he's not feature RB material so in my mind we still have to draft a RB on day one ... and I'm still tabbing Moats or Morency if we get a chance

I don't know, guys. Alot of backs could look great running behind that Chiefs line. IMO, Blaylock is really going to struggle playing here. Dinger doesn't run the type of offense that uses scat-backs. He wants to pound it. IMO, Eric Shelton would still be a nice pick in Rd. 2.

I think you guys are selling Blaylock short here. Will it have the same impact on our offense that acquiring Randy Moss would have had? Of course not, but while everyone is on Jordan's nuts (and maybe deservedly so), Blaylock has accomplished more thus far, and is still young. I for one am happy about this signing.

agree sherry DB can catch the ball and run with it -

better than Jordan? no- he's talented though and young.

he doesn't suck i will grant that much - this dude has to be ballsy to beat out (at least temporarily) the franchise's first round pick

RE: Draft- cmon terry didn't sign this guy to take a first round back - and the top 3 might not drop - Cadillac made a good case this weekend - and Benson is a physical freak who has rushed for 4 1000 yard seasons

but back to blaylock besides the character of the player i like the move because they are going for quality at a position they just lost.

all in all this is a pretty good first signing -

DERRICK BLAYLOCK

By: Dave-Te' Thomas

#26-DERRICK BLAYLOCK Stephen F. Austin State University Lumberjacks 5:09.4-188

ANALYSIS

Positives... Powerfully built, compact runner with good hands and pass-catching ability...Very effective third-down back who has that suddenness to plant and drive...Has good instincts in the open and will lower his pads downfield to get that extra yardage...Very quick turning the corner, taking proper angles down the sidelines...His ability to change gears in an instant leaves the unsuspecting defenders grabbing at air...Gets into his routes quickly as a third-down receiver, showing fine turn-&-run action after the catch...Aggressive blocker, despite his size...Great athlete who also competes in track.

Negatives... While he has great open field acceleration, he tends to take his time getting in gear...Has problems quickly spotting the running lanes, resulting in his inability to consistently break it loose...While he is not known to fumble the ball, his small hands (8 1/4) could pose a problem.

CAREER NOTES

After battling hamstring injuries and patiently waiting on the bench while playing behind KaRon Coleman and Isiah Stoker, he finally was given an opportunity to start as a senior and he made the most of it...Appeared in 31 games, earning 12 starts as a Lumberjack... Finished his career seventh on the school's all-time record list with 2091 yards rushing, carrying 340 times (6.2 avg) with 14 touchdowns...Joined the school's track team, performing as on the 4x100 relay team prior to his senior gridiron season.

REMIND ME OF... Oakland's Napoleon Kaufman.

GAZING INTO THE CRYSTAL BALL... Even though the team did not throw him the ball much, Blaylock proved in postseason all-star practices that he could be a very effective change-of-pace back for some team in the mid-rounds. Jacksonville thinks he could be that type of player for them, so look for the Jags to show strong consideration if Derrick is still around (should be) on the draft's second day.

ps- Dave Te Thomas was a great draft writer!! what happened to that cat?

I gotta disagree with you guys here.

Blaylock is a punishing runner. Sort of a poor mans priest holmes but only 25 years old. This kid is really good.

While I tend to agree Blaylock is good, he is far from a punishing runner.

His weight on bit's draft review is closer to his weight then the one on ESPN.

While I tend to agree Blaylock is good, he is far from a punishing runner.

His weight on bit's draft review is closer to his weight then the one on ESPN.

:lol::lol:

He is the same height and weight as Holmes. While I'm not comparing him to Holmes because and it is premature for that. His style is the same. He runs low and drives blockers. Trust me he is a punishing runner. He also has nice speed. He will be a pleasant suprise for Jet fans who are not that familiar with him.

This is a MORONIC signing, plain and simple. Blaylock is NOT going to be anything more than J.A.G. with us and for 11 Million (even over 5 years) I would have liked to get more.

Lets put it this way.....if Curtis Martin runs into the massive "Wall-O-Age" so many of us think might be looming......will you be comfortable with Blaylock as the #1 RB???

Hell no.

I gotta disagree with you guys here.

Blaylock is a punishing runner. Sort of a poor mans priest holmes but only 25 years old. This kid is really good.

He had a 4.6 yd per carry average last season. Not incredible but certainly not a slouch either.

I like the move.

And listen, finding someone to replace the shoes Martin will leave behind will be damn near impossible. Curtis Martin is an ALL-TIME RB! Blaylock is a solid backup and has shown this past year that he can step in very nicely when the #1 goes down.

I think it is hard to evaluate his performance, anyone could run behind that line. I am not really a big fan of this signing. I was hoping the Jets would get someone in the draft and give Askew and Sowell a shot as needed. I would put the money towards getting a corner and TE.

I like this move. Blaylock has proven he can run behind a good line. He had success.

Hopefully Curtis invents some crazy workout this offseason again and doesn't remember his age next season.

But if he does or should Curtis get hurt, I feel comfortable that Blaylock will fill in nicely. Did I hope they could get him signed a little cheaper? Absolutely.

Was suprised to read this in the Daily News today.

Interestingly, Blaylock's rushing stats over the last two seasons are eerily close to Jordan's. Blaylock: 140 carries, 651 yards, 10 touchdowns. Jordan: 139, 669 and six.

-----------------------------------------------------

Before you can chalk that up to KC's line you have to remember our line was top notch and LJ got some of his yardage against worn down defenses in blow-out games.

Archived