No more NBC in Austin; Time Warner stinks

LoneStarLady

Sorry to vent but Time Warner and the company that owns the local NBC station KXAN have been in a conflict over fees. Since they couldn't come to an agreement, the company yanked all NBC programming from Time Warner in Austin. So it's no shows, no Sunday Night Football, no nothing for us now.

I have no idea whose fault it is and they, of course, blame each other. I really don't care and am not trying to be political. It just pisses me off that this could happen. Both sides offer solutions (watch online, get another cable company, use an antenna) but it's just a pain to the customers.

Okay, rant over.

I'm not a big Time Warner fan, but it does seem strange that a few NBC affiliates want to be paid by TW to run their programming. It's all about the money, I guess.

It stinks that the customers have to suffer over their dispute. Hope it works out for you soon.

Geez, no Sunday night football, no Office, no Saturday night live, and ....

OMG, NO DAYS OF OUR LIVES. And right now, Caroline is in jail!!!! And Sami and Nicole are both pregnant by EJ!!!! I'll pass along the updates!! ;):)

Out here the CBS affiliate has been yanked so it has nothing to do with ABC,NBC or CBS directly. Crime Warner is the only cable outfit that is effected as the others Comstat etc HAVE reached an agreement with LIN broadcasting. Funny that Crime Warner is the only company that has not reached an agreement. Direct TV and Dish are not effected yet Crime Warner wants to blame the local station. BS to that.

Sorry to vent but Time Warner and the company that owns the local NBC station KXAN have been in a conflict over fees. Since they couldn't come to an agreement, the company yanked all NBC programming from Time Warner in Austin. So it's no shows, no Sunday Night Football, no nothing for us now.

I have no idea whose fault it is and they, of course, blame each other. I really don't care and am not trying to be political. It just pisses me off that this could happen. Both sides offer solutions (watch online, get another cable company, use an antenna) but it's just a pain to the customers.

Okay, rant over.

that means you dont get the jets showdown at newngland on thursday night. that sucks.

I don't get Thurs night Jets vs NE anyway because it's on NFL Network, and Crime Warner doesn't carry it. We'll watch it online just as we do for most Jets games.

I did read that LIN-TV also pulled its other stations from Crime Warner all across the country. It is a lot of bull, since all other cable and satellite companies have all these agreements in place. It's only the LIN stations and Time Warner. Ridiculous.

There are other cable companies in Austin but none of them service my part of the city. I haven't checked Verizon but I will.

Our signal is crappy and it even went out on Thanksgiving last year. First they said we were at the end of the cable line so too bad for us and then they said it was an outage in the entire area. They didn't even know what was wrong. We ended up watching through the antenna (which was probably for the better) but the Cowboy fans in the area were livid.

I don't get Thurs night Jets vs NE anyway because it's on NFL Network, and Crime Warner doesn't carry it. We'll watch it online just as we do for most Jets games.

I did read that LIN-TV also pulled its other stations from Crime Warner all across the country. It is a lot of bull, since all other cable and satellite companies have all these agreements in place. It's only the LIN stations and Time Warner. Ridiculous.

There are other cable companies in Austin but none of them service my part of the city. I haven't checked Verizon but I will.

Our signal is crappy and it even went out on Thanksgiving last year. First they said we were at the end of the cable line so too bad for us and then they said it was an outage in the entire area. They didn't even know what was wrong. We ended up watching through the antenna (which was probably for the better) but the Cowboy fans in the area were livid.

It's Crime Warner NOT LIN Broadcasting that is the problem. LIN has agreements with Direct TV, Dish and every other cable system BUT Crime Warner. I switched to Direct TV when CW dropped the NFL Network 2 years ago when they couldn't reach agreement either. I'm waiting for Verizon Fios which will be available next summer.

We have Verizon FIOS in our area for telephone and internet, but not television yet. Once it's here for television, I will switch for good.

Count me in as another who will not be able to watch the Jets/NE game.

Thai, I'm still confused as to why LIN is asking for money from CRIME WARNER (heh, catchy name, ;) to carry their NBC affiliates. Again, I'm no fan of CW, but isn't network television free to consumers? You do not have to be a cable subscriber to watch network television, for free. Does this have to do with the converter boxes?

We have Verizon FIOS in our area for telephone and internet, but not television yet. Once it's here for television, I will switch for good.

Count me in as another who will not be able to watch the Jets/NE game.

Thai, I'm still confused as to why LIN is asking for money from CRIME WARNER (heh, catchy name, ;) to carry their NBC affiliates. Again, I'm no fan of CW, but isn't network television free to consumers? You do not have to be a cable subscriber to watch network television, for free. Does this have to do with the converter boxes?

That's Crime Warners argument but I'm not really sure what the basic problem is. Might be advertising $$. We figured out here that since the local channel affected was CBS it was because CBS was #1 but since it's NBC in Austin that's not it. CW had this fight with the NFL Channel a few years back . CW wouldn't pay so CW lost the NFL Chan. That's when I switched to Direct TV. If the NFL Chan PLUS LIN have agreements with all the other cable systems AND satellite systems then, IMO , the problem would seem to be CW. Seems logical to me. As a post script Crime Warner out here (Buffalo NY) is giving away free antennas so the Bills game can be viewed. How much did that cost them? LOL

Archived