Vilma and Robertson. Anyone been paying attention?

villain_the_foe

Has anyone been paying attention to these guys?

I am n9ot certain if we have any way to know what percentage of snaps they have played thu far or anything like that.

Seems Vilma is having a good season thus far and may get us that #2 we want, but what has D Rob done?

DRob plays on one of the worst defenses in the NFL and his performance pretty much sums it up: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=4462

Denver is giving up close to 30 points a game and over 400 yards. That D blows.

Has anyone been paying attention to these guys?

I am n9ot certain if we have any way to know what percentage of snaps they have played thu far or anything like that.

Seems Vilma is having a good season thus far and may get us that #2 we want, but what has D Rob done?

There is no way the Jets get a #2 for Vilma. I believe I read it here but the only way the Jets get a #2 is if the Saints resign Vilma to a contract before the end of the year and if they do that they would then have to give up a #1 to the Giants for Shockey.

There is no way the Jets get a #2 for Vilma. I believe I read it here but the only way the Jets get a #2 is if the Saints resign Vilma to a contract before the end of the year and if they do that they would then have to give up a #1 to the Giants for Shockey.

Good memory, but its more than just resigning him.

If Vilma reaches certain playtime incentives and signs a contract extension with New Orleans, New York would instead receive a second- or third-round pick in 2009. The Jets would then give the Saints their fourth-round pick next year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=3271039

So Vilma might be a JET again... Vilma and Harris in the middle...

that'll be crazy. I've mentioned this before, but people made it sound like I was a weirdo. What would you think of vilma becoming an outside linebacker. Its not like he doesnt have the speed to reach the corner and he can definitely tackle. He'll be able to blitz more as well.

Here you go...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/22/giants-could-get-a-first-rounder-for-shockey/

GIANTS COULD GET A FIRST-ROUNDER FOR SHOCKEY

Posted by Mike Florio on July 22, 2008, 8:31 p.m. EDT

Several astute readers have pointed out that the Saints

that'll be crazy. I've mentioned this before, but people made it sound like I was a weirdo. What would you think of vilma becoming an outside linebacker. Its not like he doesnt have the speed to reach the corner and he can definitely tackle. He'll be able to blitz more as well.

He is nowhere neear the size of an OLB... an OLB in the 3-4 is like a 4-3 DE

Safety maybe - but not a 3-4 OLB. I would take him to use in certain 4-3 packages or on passing downs.

Saftey? as like the position?

wow, I wouldnt have thought that. Vilma next to rhodes? what makes you say that?

He simply isn't big enough or strong enough to play LB in our defense. He would need to move to SS.

You could put together enough packages to use him on 80% of the plays during the season.

at safety though??? man, my mind just wont allow me to see that. I've never known a linebacker to drop to safety. Maybe im not as informed as you, but I just cant see vilma ever playing safety. He'll be burned out there everytime.

at safety though??? man, my mind just wont allow me to see that. I've never known a linebacker to drop to safety. Maybe im not as informed as you, but I just cant see vilma ever playing safety. He'll be burned out there everytime.

I guess the point is he wouldn't be an exact fit anyplace on this defense. He closest matches a safety in terms of skills.

If he can twist his hips... he has the size and speed for it...

Its pretty simple... each position has an optimal size...

Brain Dawkins is 6'0" 210

Vilma is 6'1" 230

It wouldnt be hard for Vilma to drop a few Lbs and increase his speed... but it proved hard to gain some weight and increase strength...

I guess the point is he wouldn't be an exact fit anyplace on this defense. He closest matches a safety in terms of skills.

well, he does have a good nose for the ball. He has good feet, my concern is that he has to be able to have great jumping abilities. if he cant get off the ground.....

So, there would be no package that you can see vilma in as a outside LB even if he's blitzing?

If he can twist his hips... he has the size and speed for it...

Its pretty simple... each position has an optimal size...

Brain Dawkins is 6'0" 210

Vilma is 6'1" 230

It wouldnt be hard for Vilma to drop a few Lbs and increase his speed... but it proved hard to gain some weight and increase strength...

very good point.

The strong safety is normally there to cover tight ends. Vilma can probably cover quite a few NFL tight ends, but I still think it sounds risky. Plus he'll be stuck some plays covering wide receivers which would be a mismatch.

Not to mention some new breed tight ends have near WR speed.

I'd rather have Vilma slightly undersized at outside LB than beat in three steps by a swift receiver.

The strong safety is normally there to cover tight ends. Vilma can probably cover quite a few NFL tight ends, but I still think it sounds risky. Plus he'll be stuck some plays covering wide receivers which would be a mismatch.

Not to mention some new breed tight ends have near WR speed.

I'd rather have Vilma slightly undersized at outside LB than beat in three steps by a swift receiver.

The problem is Vilma couldn't set the edge at OLB. He would get run over as he has trouble shedding blocks.

Lets keep vilma in the 4-3. I know he is a fan favorite but he really doesn't have a place to play in our defense. If we could sign him to the league minimum and use him on downs when we play in the 4-3 then fine, but other than that we really don't need him.

is the drob pick conditional ?

so to sum it up, what are the probable picks we'll get in return, and in what year ?

good question, thats whats I was really wanted to get to when I created this thread. Im not sure of the conditions of these picks. It seems like this upcoming year will be a year where f we get some extraordinary picks it'll really set the Jets up for the next 7 years.

Vilma is not on this team right now because there was no place for him in the defense.

Are you guys serious?

OLB? He'd get eaten alive.

Safety? You think he has the fluidity in his hips to drop back (way back) in coverage when necessary.

Simply put, in the Jets 3-4 defense, if there was anywhere that Vilma could excel, he would be doing it now.

Archived