Pennington to the Pro Bowl

Jetfan13

He's not throwing the picks because he is running a college football offense with ronnie brown taking what? 13 direct snaps yesterday. He's not throwing the ball late in the game which is why he isn't throwing the picks late in the game. He sucks and is doing absolutely. Watch the games and don't look at the stats before you come here and make bull**** statements about how the guy is having a good season. He is doing ****.

That's not quite true

I believe Brown took 12 snaps out of 70. The rest were traditional pro style offensive plays.

In the 4th quarter Pennington threw 9 passes, which percentage wise was high, considering he threw 29 during the entire game, and they had a lead.

One was a 20 yarder to Fasano, and another was a 14 yarder to Ginn. They weren't all just dink and dunk. I am glad Pennington is off the Jets, but am very unhappy he is with the Fish.

Living in South Florida I have watched all the Fish games. Pennington has played very well, and is a major find for the Tuna.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd take Russell over Pennington even now. If you have Russell there is no point in starting Pennington, who at best, is a stop gap until whoever you want to start is ready. The Dolphins plan on just replacing Chad with Henne, and if Henne isn't good enough they'll just draft someone else this year too. You keep drafting QBs until you get someone that might be a franchise QB. With Russell you don't need to bother, he obviously has the potential to develop, and is currently good enough to lead an NFL team even when it so happens to be the worst run franchise in sports. Imagine what Russell could do on a GOOD NFL franchise?

I'm telling you guys, Russell is going to be a good one. He has all the tools except coaching. lol. He might have to go to another team to really become good, but he'll be a serviceable legit NFL QB somewhere eventually, unless the Raiders manage to compeletely ruin him before he can get away (that would be sad, nobody deserves to be Raidered, except maybe TO).

I like Russell a lot too and have since his LSU days. I absolutely agree though his best shot at success would be away from Oakland, not sure they'll be letting him go anytime soon though. Al Davis loves him.

Chad currently has a QB rating of 93.5, Brett has a rating of 110.8. New York has the better QB. Just let Chad go...

OK, Crashingjet, what's your angle?

You come in here this summer telling us how lousy Chad is and how Crouch was immeasurably better. Then when you get Pennington you tell us that with the addition of a seasoned pro like Chad, success is assured for the Dolphins' season.

Then comes the first four games and Chad and the Fins do better than anyone thought they would, and you're in here telling us that sure Favre is better than Chad, just forget about Pennington.

What're you planning?

Chad Pennington won't sniff the Pro Bowl. We've seen 22-29, 200 some yard performances before. Even Chad has those once in a while.

The three AFC Pro Bowl QB's will be Favre, Cutler & either Manning, Roethlisberger or Rivers.

OK, Crashingjet, what's your angle?

You come in here this summer telling us how lousy Chad is and how Crouch was immeasurably better. Then when you get Pennington you tell us that with the addition of a seasoned pro like Chad, success is assured for the Dolphins' season.

Then comes the first four games and Chad and the Fins do better than anyone thought they would, and you're in here telling us that sure Favre is better than Chad, just forget about Pennington.

What're you planning?

Just covering his ass. He is trying to put himself in a no lose situation. If Chad plays very well, and the Fish make a run, he can gloat, and ignore his previous assessment of Chad.

If the Dolphins crash, he can say, "I told you so, this happened because we were using a Jets rethread. Wait till Henne is ready"

He's playing very well but we all new Chad was capable of playing this type of mistake free football if in the right situation. The playcalling (Something that killed him last season) has been great for him this season. He was pretty darn good against us too in week 1, He won't kill a team which is all Miami want right now. Is he a pro-bowler? No way but he is a solid good QB.

I just don't understand now why the Hell Minny didn't look to sign Chad, makes no sense.

Yeah that baffles me as well. Man, ya'd think that Minny would have been begging Chad to go play there. The only thing i can think of is maybe his injury history scared them away? Dunno...

He's playing very well but we all new Chad was capable of playing this type of mistake free football if in the right situation. The playcalling (Something that killed him last season) has been great for him this season. He was pretty darn good against us too in week 1, He won't kill a team which is all Miami want right now. Is he a pro-bowler? No way but he is a solid good QB.

I just don't understand now why the Hell Minny didn't look to sign Chad, makes no sense.

Yeah that baffles me as well. Man, ya'd think that Minny would have been begging Chad to go play there. The only thing i can think of is maybe his injury history scared them away? Dunno...

Actually it's pretty simple. MIN was not looking to make the playoffs, they were looking to win the SB. They built their team as a win now type of team in a vulnerable NFC. They were hoping that Jackson continued to progress, and if he did they felt that an improved Jackson was better than a hindered Pennington. Pennington would have won the games they should have won and lost the rest...............oh unless MIN got the bright idea to run a college style offense with Peterson at QB.

They gave up on Tavaris Jackson way too soon. What did he have? 13? 14 starts? Way too soon to give up on a Quarterback, especially one who played his College ball in Division II.

They gave up on Tavaris Jackson way too soon. What did he have? 13? 14 starts? Way too soon to give up on a Quarterback, especially one who played his College ball in Division II.

They caved to media pressure. I don't see how it helps them either. At least with Jackson maybe he'd improve, but now you can't start a guy after throwing him under the bus like that, and you're still losing. That is what ****ty franchises do. They either had to get someone else over the offseason or they had to stick it out with Jackson this year, instead, they tried to pull a switch way too soon and it just completely backfired. This is why Lovie stuck with Rex so long and why Mangini stuck with Chad, they both knew there is no turning back from an early switch and neither was confident in anything they had in their places.

Why didn't Minny go for Chad?

First, we don't know they didn't. Maybe they just didn't want to beat Parcells' offer of $4 million and guaranteed starting. Maybe they would've liked to bring him for a competition with Jackson for $3 miiliion or so, but didn't want to commit fully to Chad as starter.

But here are two reasons why Minnesota perhaps never made the offer:

A) Their best receiver is new addition Bernard Berrian, who specializes in getting three steps behind his man. Though Chad can throw it 50 yards accurately, it's hardly his forte. If you pay big money for Berrian, Chad is not your first choice for QB.

B) The Vikings still had some belief in Tavaris Jackson, just as the Jets still have some belief in Kellen Clemens. Publicly throwing yourself at one of the all-time greats like Brett Favre is one thing, especially since he'll be playing only a year or two. It's not a great insult to tell a young QB to sit a year or two behind a Favre. However, going after Chad after failing to obtain Favre had to be interpreted by Jackson as the team is just going down the list of available QB's. If the Vikings had any remaining hopes that Jackson would someday take over and be good, getting Chad would kill them.

I agree, there wasn't a more perfect fit in the league Dome stadium (so all home games were out of the elements, and also, an overlooked factor, no crown on the field.. ), big time running game, and a good defense. This is the type of team Pennington needs to go far.

Actually it's pretty simple. MIN was not looking to make the playoffs, they were looking to win the SB. They built their team as a win now type of team in a vulnerable NFC. They were hoping that Jackson continued to progress, and if he did they felt that an improved Jackson was better than a hindered Pennington. Pennington would have won the games they should have won and lost the rest...............oh unless MIN got the bright idea to run a college style offense with Peterson at QB.

From their actions, they weren't looking to make the playoffs at all. Jackson wasn't taking them there, let alone the Super Bowl.

after watching him the last coupe weeks against NE and now SD, I am hardpressed to admit that as good as a job as he has been doing, it had to be coaching that was the problem in NY...the guy looks like a pro bowler, his arm is strong enough, he isn't maiing any opportunity to get the ball moving...

OK, I admit, pro bowler is stretching it a bit, but he has looked superb since he has gotten the fins Off. down

you're right. probowler is stretching it. However, Parcells and friends seem to take what they have and get the best out of it. Thats basically what the front office and head coaches are supposed to do anyway. I dont think however that we should have kept him, given that the Jet franchise in itself had given up on Chad the moment the snatched the job from him to give it to clemens. Sometimes you need a change to get back to a winning spirit. Im proud of what Penny is doing there.

Better yet, Im putting it out there. I hope its the Jets and Phins that make the playoffs from our division and meet in the AFC Championship game. Them them dog it out there.

you're right. probowler is stretching it. However, Parcells and friends seem to take what they have and get the best out of it. Thats basically what the front office and head coaches are supposed to do anyway. I dont think however that we should have kept him, given that the Jet franchise in itself had given up on Chad the moment the snatched the job from him to give it to clemens. Sometimes you need a change to get back to a winning spirit. Im proud of what Penny is doing there.

Better yet, Im putting it out there. I hope its the Jets and Phins that make the playoffs from our division and meet in the AFC Championship game. Them them dog it out there.

They got the best out of him alright... line him out as wide as possible and snap it to the RB... keeping the ball totally out of his hands.

Some of you guys are ridiculous with the assumption that Chad isn't doing anything to help Miami win and they are only winning because of the Wildcat which has been very successful. The past two weeks combined Chad has gone 39-49 for 454 yards and 1 touchdown pass. He has played a huge part in opening up the running game and the Dolphins winning two games most thought they had no chance winning.

Wait a second. Over their last 2 wins, they scored 7 TDs. 6 of them came on their Wildcat formation, in which Pennington just lines up wide and does NOTHING, and now we're sending him to the PROBOWL!? wake up.

Wrong. Five of those touchdowns were out of the wildcat formation. And besides, if you watched the game, you know Chad played a HUGE role in getting the Phins inside the 10 where they could run the Wildcat.

QBs I'd rather have over Pennington starting right now:

McNabb

E. Manning

J. Campbell

T. Romo

A. Rodgers

J. Delhomme

D. Brees

M. Ryan (upside)

K. Warner

B. Favre

T. Edwards (if he's healthy of course)

B. Roethlisberger

C. Palmer (this is only a blip in my opinion)

P. Manning

M. Schaub (but not if he keeps getting viruses)

J. Russell

J. Cutler

P. Rivers

Jamracus Russell, Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub on that list is a joke. Trent Edwards and Jake Delhomme are highly debatable as well.

Besides, it's not about which quarterback is better are certain things. The fact is Penny fits what the Dolphins want to do. They run the rock, play close to the line of scrimmage and ask their quarterback to complete a high percentage of passes (Penny is the best all time at doing that.)

When you run the ball as effectively as the Dolphins do, you just need to be able to complete 3rd and mediums or 3rd and shorts. I'll take Chad doing that over a lot of guys on that list.

My hatred, which I don't even have, is not in the way.

If you are going to rely on Pennington to win you games, you're not making the playoffs. It's plain and simple. With a really good running game, you may have a shot. There are 31 other teams. I'd rather have the other team's QB in 18 cases. That says a lot.

Pennington is a good QB to have when you're playing with the lead. If you're down, and have to pass, you have NO shot. Don't let a 2 week hot streak get you all excited (not to mention he had absolutely nothing to do with the hotstreak really).

Did he not take the Jets to the playoffs twice?

That's your opinion, but I'm guessing the majority of NFL's G.Ms would disagree about taking 18 QBs over him.

The Dolphins mounted a pretty good comeback effort against the Jets in week one and it was all through the air. Time just ran out, give him another 30 seconds and he gets Miami in the end zone in all likelihood.

This thread is ridiculous. Penny lines up as a wide-out on all of their successful plays. Good guy, yes; probowler, no.

Watch the game then comment. The Dolphins ran the wildcat 12 times in the past two games. It takes more than 6 plays per game to win; that statement is ignorant.

He's not a pro-bowler, but he's playing effecient, great football right now.

Wrong. Five of those touchdowns were out of the wildcat formation. And besides, if you watched the game, you know Chad played a HUGE role in getting the Phins inside the 10 where they could run the Wildcat.

Jamracus Russell, Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub on that list is a joke. Trent Edwards and Jake Delhomme are highly debatable as well.

Besides, it's not about which quarterback is better are certain things. The fact is Penny fits what the Dolphins want to do. They run the rock, play close to the line of scrimmage and ask their quarterback to complete a high percentage of passes (Penny is the best all time at doing that.)

When you run the ball as effectively as the Dolphins do, you just need to be able to complete 3rd and mediums or 3rd and shorts. I'll take Chad doing that over a lot of guys on that list.

Did he not take the Jets to the playoffs twice?

That's your opinion, but I'm guessing the majority of NFL's G.Ms would disagree about taking 18 QBs over him.

The Dolphins mounted a pretty good comeback effort against the Jets in week one and it was all through the air. Time just ran out, give him another 30 seconds and he gets Miami in the end zone in all likelihood.

Is that before or after the game losing interception?

I agree, there wasn't a more perfect fit in the league Dome stadium (so all home games were out of the elements, and also, an overlooked factor, no crown on the field.. ), big time running game, and a good defense. This is the type of team Pennington needs to go far.

Yup and that was one of the reasons I was convinced Jackson was poised to breakout, because the team stuck with him. Now that they

after watching him the last coupe weeks against NE and now SD, I am hardpressed to admit that as good as a job as he has been doing, it had to be coaching that was the problem in NY...the guy looks like a pro bowler, his arm is strong enough, he isn't maiing any opportunity to get the ball moving...

OK, I admit, pro bowler is stretching it a bit, but he has looked superb since he has gotten the fins Off. down

I'd rather go with with most TDs in league and highest QB Rating in the league for the starting Pro Bowler......;)

There are definitely 15 QB's playing right now that I'd still take over Pennington.

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Brett Favre

Ben Roethlisberger (yeah, yeah, I said him)

David Garrard

Jay Cutler

Philip Rivers

Donovan McNabb

Tony Romo

Jason Campbell (big fan of his dating back to his days at Auburn)

Marc Bulger

Kurt Warner

Matt Hasselbeck

Drew Brees

Jake Delhomme

I'd probably take the rookie Ryan over Pennington as well.

Warner over Pennington? This year?

Warner was a great QB once, fell into backuphood, and was slowly working his way back into the starters' ranks.

Warner was replaced by Marc Bulger. Penny was never replaced by Clemens. Sitting a guy down because the season is lost at 1-7 and you want to see what the young guy can do, as the Jets did with Chad, is not the same as sitting a guy down and giving the new guy the job, like the Rams did with Warner. If Clemens actually replaced Pennington, there never would have been a QB competition between the two the following year.

I had to laugh in 2007 when midway through the year we saw Clemens supporters portentiously post things like, "The Clemens era has begun". Hee hee.

The only guy Pennington was ever replaced by is Favre, which is no shame.

Pennington is a legit starter and always was, Warner is an ex-starter, now backup, working his way back. Big difference there. I don't see how you can put him in front of Pennington-which is not to say Warner cannot go on to have a good year. He might.

By the way, for the folks saying that Penny really isn't doing that much, that it's all that new formation-who does Penny have to throw to down there?

At the start of training camp, it was clear the Dolphins had two great runners and no established wide receivers. Is it somehow "cheating" that several times a game they go into a formation which enhances their runners beyond what the standard formations do? Their QB has nobody to throw to!

If they were looking to win the SB with Jackson then they should mocked and laughed at by the rest of the league.

Methinks you are off in this assumption. That team needs a game manager. Penny would've been perfect.

Kurt Warner has has a Super Bowl ring, a Super Bowl MVP award and a MVP award.

PLease dont compare him and Chad ever again. Considering he's still the better QB.

I most certainly will compare him because Warner has been a backup for quite a few years now. That's simply fact. I hope Kurt comes back to the starters' ranks, but right now he's a onetime starter who got another chance only because the young guy is either a bust or not ready yet.

That never happened to Pennington. Once given the starter's job, he stayed starter until Favre replaced him.

Warner over Pennington? This year?

Warner was a great QB once, fell into backuphood, and was slowly working his way back into the starters' ranks.

Warner was replaced by Marc Bulger. Penny was never replaced by Clemens. Sitting a guy down because the season is lost at 1-7 and you want to see what the young guy can do, as the Jets did with Chad, is not the same as sitting a guy down and giving the new guy the job, like the Rams did with Warner. If Clemens actually replaced Pennington, there never would have been a QB competition between the two the following year.

I had to laugh in 2007 when midway through the year we saw Clemens supporters portentiously post things like, "The Clemens era has begun". Hee hee.

The only guy Pennington was ever replaced by is Favre, which is no shame.

Pennington is a legit starter and always was, Warner is an ex-starter, now backup, working his way back. Big difference there. I don't see how you can put him in front of Pennington-which is not to say Warner cannot go on to have a good year. He might.

Warner may be bad with the ball in the pocket (pennington is not great) but Warner can make all the throws. Pennington can not. Warner has a SB ring too which helps, but look at what he's doing this year. He has bigger weapons, true, but LOOK at what he's doing.

I most certainly will compare him because Warner has been a backup for quite a few years now. That's simply fact. I hope Kurt comes back to the starters' ranks, but right now he's a onetime starter who got another chance only because the young guy is either a bust or not ready yet.

That never happened to Pennington. Once given the starter's job, he stayed starter until Favre replaced him.

Warner has won the starting job for almost 3 years now. AZ has been dying to get their highly paid 1st round draft pick (Leinart) in but Warner just keeps outplaying him. Warner is, has been, and will always be better than Chad. Warner has a legit case to make the HOF. Whether he ever gets in will be another discussion, but he has a legit case to make it. Chad can't even get a legit chance to make a probowl. I can't believe you are even thinking of comparing the 2.

To make your comparison and logic valid at all, you'd have to have Warner and Penny on the same team in head to head competition or you're talking apples and pomgranates.

The only team in the NFL that would conceiveably start Pennington over Warner today or any day they've been in the league - would be a team with an ultradominant running game. And even then - they would get sick of having 8 or 9 men up close to stuff the run.

Pennington's getting a lot of good press in his new role of flanker on the Pfish but theres no resurgence to his capabilities. He still can't do for Miami what he couldn't do here. It will catch up with him and further confirm why people were hoping against hope that Kellen Clemens would beat him out of his job with the Jets.

If they were looking to win the SB with Jackson then they should mocked and laughed at by the rest of the league.

Methinks you are off in this assumption. That team needs a game manager. Penny would've been perfect.

Let's not forget who the GM is in Minny... It's not too unrealistic to assume that Spielman thinks he can win with Jackson.

Archived