****The OFFICIAL COLLEGE BBALL COUNTDOWN THREAD****

gangreenman

Thats right, its the official countdown to college basketball! 11 days till the start of official practices... Season cant come quick enough!!!!! GO ORANGE!!

Upcoming dates:

Start of official practices: Oct 17th

Midnight Madness: Oct 24th

1st Exhibition game: Nov 3rd

Season Opener: Nov. 16th

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cant wait for another season of high expectations and mediocre results out of the UMass Minutemen.

Hopefully we can finally win a big game at the end of the season to make it to the Big Dance... Im getting sick of the NIT.

Should be easier in the A10 or whatever conference UMass is in than in the ridiculously tough Big East (7 or 8 teams in top 25 in most preseason polls).

Michigan = NCAA Champs. :lol:

Go Zags!

Hey not to many teams can say they havent lost a tourney game in 11 years....

As for the zags, they will probably once again feast on an easy conference schedule this season, get a spot in the tourney, and blow it in the rd of 32 or Sweet 16 like usual...

Watch out for my boy Terrence Rodrick out in UAB.

No. UAB is like one of those programs that always borderline, but never quite there. They will probably win their conf., placed in the tourney as a 10-12 seed, and lose in the 1st round.

The conference to watch this year is easily the Big East. Georgetown, Uconn, Syracuse, West Virginia, Louisville, Notre Dame, Pitt, and Nova are 9 of the teams from the BE being floated around as possibly in the tourney. Some have also mentioned Providence and Marquette as possible bubble teams as well.

That right there is 11 very good teams, that, if in any other conference, would all be top 10 seeds in the tourney IMO.

Hey not to many teams can say they havent lost a tourney game in 11 years....

As for the zags, they will probably once again feast on an easy conference schedule this season, get a spot in the tourney, and blow it in the rd of 32 or Sweet 16 like usual...

At least they are there. They are a good bunch.

I've been rooting for the Zags as a "second team" since the year they went to the Elite 8 because, well, Michigan blows at Basketball and the Zags were a team of all white dudes. How can you not root for a team of all or mostly white dudes in Basketball? :)

At least they are there. They are a good bunch.

I've been rooting for the Zags as a "second team" since the year they went to the Elite 8 because, well, Michigan blows at Basketball and the Zags were a team of all white dudes. How can you not root for a team of all or mostly white dudes in Basketball? :)

You could just root for the Ivy League team every year also...

Or you could represent your state and root for a team like Syracuse...

Just sayin'.

You could just root for the Ivy League team every year also...

Or you could represent your state and root for a team like Syracuse...

Just sayin'.

Heh. I live in New Jersey. We don't have any real college teams. :)

• 2 weeks later...
this is dukes year!

:rl::rl:

If a bunch of white 6'3 and snaller shooting guards ever makes it anywhere near the final four, the end must really be near.

Duke will be placed in the tourney on reputation and name alone, since they are no longer even close to the class of the ACC and probably wouldnt even be able to compete against all of the top teams they'll have to beat once the tournament starts.

Im going to go with UNC as my team to beat this year, not far behind are Louisville and Uconn, but having to face each other, not to mention WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, GTown and the rest of the Big East in conference play may hurt their overall tournament seeding as those teams will all beat each other up in conference play. Should be a fun year!!

If a bunch of white 6'3 and snaller shooting guards ever makes it anywhere near the final four, the end must really be near.

Duke will be placed in the tourney on reputation and name alone, since they are no longer even close to the class of the ACC and probably wouldnt even be able to compete against all of the top teams they'll have to beat once the tournament starts.

Im going to go with UNC as my team to beat this year, not far behind are Louisville and Uconn, but having to face each other, not to mention WVU, Syracuse, Pitt, GTown and the rest of the Big East in conference play may hurt their overall tournament seeding as those teams will all beat each other up in conference play. Should be a fun year!!

lol there basically ranked preseason 1,2 and 3.

lol there basically ranked preseason 1,2 and 3.

..And for a reason.

Im a fan of Syracuse, have been for awhile. Right now they're a borderline top 25 team according to most polls. Reports say that Devendorf is healthy and Flynn is ready for that leadership role. The added depth that our two freshmen will supply will hopefully help the team down the stretch and get us back to the tourney, cause once you're in, anything can happen.

never in college,,,never,, and who cares about future pro potential,,this is a collge thread

They're both better players. Thats what I was saying.

Jonny Flynn is arguably the best PG in the nation right now, and he's only a Sophomore. I just hope we can keep him on board for another year or two before he jumps ship to the NBA.

There is a wide gap btw the heels and the next best teams. Unlike last year where there were 4 top teams and everyone else this year it's the Heels and everyone else. Anything can happen in a 1 and done in March/April but it will be a huge upset if the Heels don't win it all.

They're both better players. Thats what I was saying.

Jonny Flynn is arguably the best PG in the nation right now, and he's only a Sophomore. I just hope we can keep him on board for another year or two before he jumps ship to the NBA.

they are NOT better college players,,

to say that about a soph that he will be better college player then tyler is laughable,,when he has 50% of impact on college game as tyler that we can talk..

damn..........

There is a wide gap btw the heels and the next best teams. Unlike last year where there were 4 top teams and everyone else this year it's the Heels and everyone else. Anything can happen in a 1 and done in March/April but it will be a huge upset if the Heels don't win it all.

Coming from a Heels fan, this doesn't mean a whole lot. The Heels are undoubtedly a great team, IMO they are going to cruise through a rather weak ACC and earn a #1 overall spot in the tournament. Can't wait to see how they match up against the SEC and Big East powerhouses they will have to beat in order to get to the dance and win it. As I said, should be a fun year!

Coming from a Heels fan, this doesn't mean a whole lot. The Heels are undoubtedly a great team, IMO they are going to cruise through a rather weak ACC and earn a #1 overall spot in the tournament. Can't wait to see how they match up against the SEC and Big East powerhouses they will have to beat in order to get to the dance and win it. As I said, should be a fun year!

do u hear yourself......

this isnt football,,acc had better RPI than big least and sec in bball

last year and this wont be any different this year

conf

http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php

team

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php?y=2008

do u hear yourself......

this isnt football,,acc had better RPI than big least and sec in bball

last year and this wont be any different this year

conf

http://www.kenpom.com/confrank.php

team

http://www.kenpom.com/rpi.php?y=2008

Yes it will...

The Big East has 8 teams in the preseason top 25 in many polls. People are predicting anywhere between 8-10 Big East teams in the tournament. I think the ACC is much weaker than the Big East this year. I think UNC is far and away the best team in the conference, and for that matter, the only great team in that conference. Sure, Duke is okay, as is Clemson and Miami, but the ACC as a whole doesn't even compare to the Big East as a whole, at least not this year.

Yes it will...

The Big East has 8 teams in the preseason top 25 in many polls. People are predicting anywhere between 8-10 Big East teams in the tournament. I think the ACC is much weaker than the Big East this year. I think UNC is far and away the best team in the conference, and for that matter, the only great team in that conference. Sure, Duke is okay, as is Clemson and Miami, but the ACC as a whole doesn't even compare to the Big East as a whole, at least not this year.

:rl:

second verse , same as the first...

duke would win BE this year,,

and dont count on tons of teams in NCAAs,,ACC will field more than BE this year..

Swofford is Final Four commish this year,,already on record as sayingt he wont count all those lower tier BE victories that others have use din past,,BE has so much crap at bottom 1/3rd as opposed to ACC,,many of thier victories are meaningless

second verse , same as the first...

duke would win BE this year,,

and dont count on tons of teams in NCAAs,,ACC will field more than BE this year..

Swofford is Final Four commish this year,,already on record as sayingt he wont count all those lower tier BE victories that others have use din past,,BE has so much crap at bottom 1/3rd as opposed to ACC,,many of thier victories are meaningless

Okay, so Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, and St Johns you can make the case for being 'crap', but the teams at the top (Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and Providence) are all very very tough. The only reason I see any other conf. fielding more tournament teams than the Big East is because all of those teams are going to beat up on each other when it comes to conference play. And to say Duke would even have a chance in hell at winning the Big East this year is beyond nuts. If any of those 10 teams I just listed were in the ACC, I'd pick them to finish ahead of Duke.

Okay, so Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, and St Johns you can make the case for being 'crap', but the teams at the top (Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and Providence) are all very very tough. The only reason I see any other conf. fielding more tournament teams than the Big East is because all of those teams are going to beat up on each other when it comes to conference play. And to say Duke would even have a chance in hell at winning the Big East this year is beyond nuts. If any of those 10 teams I just listed were in the ACC, I'd pick them to finish ahead of Duke.

u have no credibility...

u have to be a under 21 student there to have such insane ideas,,,

let me guess

sh1t for brains......right?

let me guess

sh1t for brains......right?

potw

u have no credibility...

u have to be a under 21 student there to have such insane ideas,,,

in what way? How is saying that I would pick any of those 10 teams to finish ahead of Duke any less credible than you saying Duke would finish above all ten of them???

And please don't criticize age, at least I know how to form a sentence with proper grammar and spelling. You must not have gone to school at all to have such bad grammar. ;)

in what way? How is saying that I would pick any of those 10 teams to finish ahead of Duke any less credible than you saying Duke would finish above all ten of them???

And please don't criticize age, at least I know how to form a sentence with proper grammar and spelling. You must not have gone to school at all to have such bad grammar. ;)

10 teams in Big Least ahead of top 10 preseason Duke..

laughable actually,,cant wait for nyjunc to get here..

http://www.makingthedance.com/2007/09/tournament-success-by-conference.html

If you were picking most thug-turds from a team, then Syr-excuse would win hands down..

by the way, last year it was:

ACC was 11-6 head-to-head against the Big East; the ACC has a better non-conference winning percentage against a stronger list of opponents (the Big East was 20-23 against the other BCS leagues; the ACC 29-18); the ACC was the first rated BCC conference, while the Big East was the fourth-rated BCS conference; it’s not as strong either at the top or at the bottom - although with 16 teams, it’s bound to have a lot of good teams in the middle.

10 teams in Big Least ahead of top 10 preseason Duke..

laughable actually,,cant wait for nyjunc to get here..

http://www.makingthedance.com/2007/09/tournament-success-by-conference.html

If you were picking most thug-turds from a team, then Syr-excuse would win hands down..

by the way, last year it was:

ACC was 11-6 head-to-head against the Big East; the ACC has a better non-conference winning percentage against a stronger list of opponents (the Big East was 20-23 against the other BCS leagues; the ACC 29-18); the ACC was the first rated BCC conference, while the Big East was the fourth-rated BCS conference; it

I'd like to know what info that source is using. Are they considering Miami and BC permanent ACC members? In other words, did they take into account that Miami and BC switched conferences rather recently, while Cincinnati and Notre Dame were added to the Big East at the same time?

Also, which Big East teams did the ACC teams beat? The top 10 I mentioned, or the crap six you refer to?

As far as thug-turds go... The Big East award would easily go to the University of Connvicts. Can't remember the last time a Cuse player was expelled or found guilty of any crime.

1emebig.jpg

1emebig.jpg

Actually, just did some research on my own...

Here is the full list of games between the ACC and BE last season:

*Clemson vs. DePaul

*NC. ST. vs. Cincinnati

B.C vs. *Providence

*Miami vs. Providence

*UNC vs. Rutgers

*Duke vs. Marquette

UVA vs. *Seton Hall

*N.C.ST. vs. Seton Hall

*Miami vs. St Johns

*V.Tech vs. St. Johns

UVA vs. *Syracuse

FL. ST. vs. *USF

*Wake Forest vs. USF

*N.C. ST vs. Villanova

Maryland vs. *Syracuse (NIT)

Duke vs. *WVU (NCAA Tourny)

*UNC vs. Louisville (NCAA Tourny)

(*denotes winner of game)

So, of those 11 wins...

7 of them came against the "crappy" Big East teams you were referring to.

Of those 7 victories against "crappy" BE teams....

4 of them were won by ACC tournament bound teams.

Meanwhile, in games not played against "crappy" BE teams...

The head to head record between the teams was BE: 6 - ACC: 4

...Interesting indeed.

So, if what you say about the crappy Big East teams not counting is true... I guess that means the Big East is, in fact the stronger of the two conferences.

Archived