****The OFFICIAL COLLEGE BBALL COUNTDOWN THREAD****

gangreenman

Actually, just did some research on my own...

Here is the full list of games between the ACC and BE last season:

*Clemson vs. DePaul

*NC. ST. vs. Cincinnati

B.C vs. *Providence

*Miami vs. Providence

*UNC vs. Rutgers

*Duke vs. Marquette

UVA vs. *Seton Hall

*N.C.ST. vs. Seton Hall

*Miami vs. St Johns

*V.Tech vs. St. Johns

UVA vs. *Syracuse

FL. ST. vs. *USF

*Wake Forest vs. USF

*N.C. ST vs. Villanova

Maryland vs. *Syracuse (NIT)

Duke vs. *WVU (NCAA Tourny)

*UNC vs. Louisville (NCAA Tourny)

(*denotes winner of game)

So, of those 11 wins...

7 of them came against the "crappy" Big East teams you were referring to.

Of those 7 victories against "crappy" BE teams....

5 of them we won by ACC tournament bound teams.

Meanwhile, in games not played against "crappy" BE teams...

The head to head record between the teams was BE: 6 - ACC: 4

...Interesting indeed.

:rl:

ya so lots of crappy BE teams,,thanks for proving my point junior,,

you see what a little research does,,you proved Big Least is a lower RPI than ACC..great job

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ya so lots of crappy BE teams,,thanks for proving my point junior,,

you see what a little research does,,you proved Big Least is a lower RPI than ACC..great job

I said I agree the bottom 5 or 6 BE teams were crappy, and you said they werent going to count victories vs. those teams as much. If thats the case, the Big East vs. ACC head to head not involving those crappy BE teams is..

Big East: 6

ACC: 4

I said I agree the bottom 5 or 6 BE teams were crappy, and you said they werent going to count victories vs. those teams as much. If thats the case, the Big East vs. ACC head to head not involving those crappy BE teams is..

Big East: 6

ACC: 4

nice try,,pick and choose,,cant do tha tjunior,,cant do that

see ya in a few years

i guess u r also sayin ACC has no crappy teams,,we cant omit a few of ours :rl:

u r priceless

nice try,,pick and choose,,cant do tha tjunior,,cant do that

see ya in a few years

i guess u r also sayin ACC has no crappy teams,,we cant omit a few of ours :rl:

u r priceless

You said the final four commish was discounting victories against crappy Big East teams, you said nothing about victories against crappy ACC teams.

I'm not picking and choosing. If you discount victories over the 6 crappy big east teams, then the head to head last season was 6-4 in favor of the Big East.

Coming from a Heels fan, this doesn't mean a whole lot. The Heels are undoubtedly a great team, IMO they are going to cruise through a rather weak ACC and earn a #1 overall spot in the tournament. Can't wait to see how they match up against the SEC and Big East powerhouses they will have to beat in order to get to the dance and win it. As I said, should be a fun year!

They heels lost 3 games last year, had the best player in CBB and didn't lose any starters and added an outstadning recruiting class. The heels this year are the biggest favoprite probably since UNLV in '90-'91. UNLV wound up losing so nothing is guaranteed but it would be a big shcok, just as it was w/ UNLV, if the heels don't win it all.

Am I missing something? I know the tiop of the BE is going to be great but who are these SEC powerhouses? and the ACC will be good this year, maybe not a tougher league top tp bottom. It doesn't have as many top teams as the BE this year but the bottom half of the BE is always a joke and the bottom of the ACC will certainly not be a joke.

Yes it will...

The Big East has 8 teams in the preseason top 25 in many polls. People are predicting anywhere between 8-10 Big East teams in the tournament. I think the ACC is much weaker than the Big East this year. I think UNC is far and away the best team in the conference, and for that matter, the only great team in that conference. Sure, Duke is okay, as is Clemson and Miami, but the ACC as a whole doesn't even compare to the Big East as a whole, at least not this year.

UNC is far and away the bst team in the COUNTRY. if they played in the BE they'd be a lock to win the BE w/o a close 2nd team.

Okay, so Rutgers, USF, Cincinnati, Seton Hall, and St Johns you can make the case for being 'crap', but the teams at the top (Uconn, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and Providence) are all very very tough. The only reason I see any other conf. fielding more tournament teams than the Big East is because all of those teams are going to beat up on each other when it comes to conference play. And to say Duke would even have a chance in hell at winning the Big East this year is beyond nuts. If any of those 10 teams I just listed were in the ACC, I'd pick them to finish ahead of Duke.

Duke would certainly have a chance, I wouldn't say they definitely would win but they are on the same level as most of the top BE teams. All teams way behind the Heels and to say 10 teams would finish ahead of duke is just comedy. Not many people hate duke more than I do but they are still a great program and there's no way 10 BE teams finish ahead of them. If Duke was in the BE they would battle for the BE title and at worst be in 2nd or 3rd but remember it's alot harder to go into cameron than it is any of those BE buildings so they'd have a huge edge.

I'd like to know what info that source is using. Are they considering Miami and BC permanent ACC members? In other words, did they take into account that Miami and BC switched conferences rather recently, while Cincinnati and Notre Dame were added to the Big East at the same time?

Also, which Big East teams did the ACC teams beat? The top 10 I mentioned, or the crap six you refer to?

As far as thug-turds go... The Big East award would easily go to the University of Connvicts. Can't remember the last time a Cuse player was expelled or found guilty of any crime.

He's talking about last year so obviously all the recent changes in the conferences are taken into account and our 10th place team beat your 2nd place team when Ga tech beat ND.

Actually, just did some research on my own...

Here is the full list of games between the ACC and BE last season:

*Clemson vs. DePaul

*NC. ST. vs. Cincinnati

B.C vs. *Providence

*Miami vs. Providence

*UNC vs. Rutgers

*Duke vs. Marquette

UVA vs. *Seton Hall

*N.C.ST. vs. Seton Hall

*Miami vs. St Johns

*V.Tech vs. St. Johns

UVA vs. *Syracuse

FL. ST. vs. *USF

*Wake Forest vs. USF

*N.C. ST vs. Villanova

Maryland vs. *Syracuse (NIT)

Duke vs. *WVU (NCAA Tourny)

*UNC vs. Louisville (NCAA Tourny)

(*denotes winner of game)

So, of those 11 wins...

7 of them came against the "crappy" Big East teams you were referring to.

Of those 7 victories against "crappy" BE teams....

4 of them were won by ACC tournament bound teams.

Meanwhile, in games not played against "crappy" BE teams...

The head to head record between the teams was BE: 6 - ACC: 4

...Interesting indeed.

So, if what you say about the crappy Big East teams not counting is true... I guess that means the Big East is, in fact the stronger of the two conferences.

First off the ACC won 12 games against the BE including postseason. Where are these 6 wins? Tourney bound tams:

ACC wins:

UNC over Louisville

NC State over Villanova

Ga Tech over ND

BE wins:

WVU over duke

Villanova over Clem

where are the other wins? Any way you slice it the ACC comes out on top.

One thing we can count on though is no matter how highly rated the BE is they always crumble come Tourney time. Since 1990 only FIVE BE Teams have reached the Final Four. Since 1990 UNC and duke BY THEMSELVES have reached more than that(UNC 8, duke 7). Remember the '06 season when the BE was supposedly great and had 2 top seeds yet ZERO BE teams made the FF? Let's see BE teams do something in March/April before we crown them.

They heels lost 3 games last year, had the best player in CBB and didn't lose any starters and added an outstadning recruiting class. The heels this year are the biggest favoprite probably since UNLV in '90-'91. UNLV wound up losing so nothing is guaranteed but it would be a big shcok, just as it was w/ UNLV, if the heels don't win it all.

Am I missing something? I know the tiop of the BE is going to be great but who are these SEC powerhouses? and the ACC will be good this year, maybe not a tougher league top tp bottom. It doesn't have as many top teams as the BE this year but the bottom half of the BE is always a joke and the bottom of the ACC will certainly not be a joke.

UNC is far and away the bst team in the COUNTRY. if they played in the BE they'd be a lock to win the BE w/o a close 2nd team.

Duke would certainly have a chance, I wouldn't say they definitely would win but they are on the same level as most of the top BE teams. All teams way behind the Heels and to say 10 teams would finish ahead of duke is just comedy. Not many people hate duke more than I do but they are still a great program and there's no way 10 BE teams finish ahead of them. If Duke was in the BE they would battle for the BE title and at worst be in 2nd or 3rd but remember it's alot harder to go into cameron than it is any of those BE buildings so they'd have a huge edge.

He's talking about last year so obviously all the recent changes in the conferences are taken into account and our 10th place team beat your 2nd place team when Ga tech beat ND.

First off the ACC won 12 games against the BE including postseason. Where are these 6 wins? Tourney bound tams:

ACC wins:

UNC over Louisville

NC State over Villanova

Ga Tech over ND

BE wins:

WVU over duke

Villanova over Clem

where are the other wins? Any way you slice it the ACC comes out on top.

One thing we can count on though is no matter how highly rated the BE is they always crumble come Tourney time. Since 1990 only FIVE BE Teams have reached the Final Four. Since 1990 UNC and duke BY THEMSELVES have reached more than that(UNC 8, duke 7). Remember the '06 season when the BE was supposedly great and had 2 top seeds yet ZERO BE teams made the FF? Let's see BE teams do something in March/April before we crown them.

Good post. At least you, unlike SJ, acknowledge that the top of the Big East has more teams and is more loaded than the top of the ACC. I agree, UNC is by far the best team in the ACC, and may very well be the best team in the country.

As far as the BE doing something in March/April, and having only 5 teams make the FF since 1990...

Well, I count 7, and there may be more.

Syracuse twice ('96, '03)

Uconn twice ('99, '04)

Louisville once ('05)

Georgetown once ('07)

Marquette once ('03)

The 6-4 head to head I came up with, I subtracted wins over the six "crappy" Big East teams, which will be discounted according to SouthernJet.

Good post. At least you, unlike SJ, acknowledge that the top of the Big East has more teams and is more loaded than the top of the ACC. I agree, UNC is by far the best team in the ACC, and may very well be the best team in the country.

As far as the BE doing something in March/April, and having only 5 teams make the FF since 1990...

Uconn twice ('99, '04)

Louisville once ('05)

Georgetown once ('07)

Marquette once ('03)

10 BE teams beat Duke

problem is you lost all credibility with that idiotic statement

Uconn twice ('99, '04)

Louisville once ('05)

Georgetown once ('07)

Marquette once ('03)

The 6-4 head to head I came up with, I subtracted wins over the six "crappy" Big East teams, which will be discounted according to SouthernJet.

Marquette and Louisville were NOT a part of the BE when they made it so only 5 apps from BE teams since 1990.

10 BE teams beat Duke

problem is you lost all credibility with that idiotic statement

What has Duke proven in the past two or three years that makes that statement any more ridiculous than saying Duke would be favored to win the Big East this year? Seriously.

The truth (should Duke be placed in the BE), would probably be somewhere in between the your statement and mine. They'd probably fall in around 5th/6th in the Big East Conference.

Marquette and Louisville were NOT a part of the BE when they made it so only 5 apps from BE teams since 1990.

True...Didn't realize either team joined so late.

For some reason I remembered them both being in the BE the year Cuse won it all ('03). Guess I was just mistaken.

What has Duke proven in the past two or three years that makes that statement any more ridiculous than saying Duke would be favored to win the Big East this year? Seriously.

The truth (should Duke be placed in the BE), would probably be somewhere in between the your statement and mine. They'd probably fall in around 5th/6th in the Big East Conference.

nope,,duke would be 1,2,,maybe 3,,

nyjunc is right,,dukes home advantage would give it top 3 finish

Duke's problems have come in March. They only had 1 poor regular season and that was 2 years ago but they have had great reg season teams outside of that year and they would defintiely compete for a BE reg season title if they played in the BE.

nope,,duke would be 1,2,,maybe 3,,

nyjunc is right,,dukes home advantage would give it top 3 finish

I disagree with that. I think Duke may wind up 4th in the ACC, behind UNC, Miami, and possibly Clemson, this year.

And everyone knows the Carrier Dome is a much tougher place to play then either Miami's or Clemson's homecourts...

I disagree with that. I think Duke may wind up 4th in the ACC, behind UNC, Miami, and possibly Clemson, this year.

And everyone knows the Carrier Dome is a much tougher place to play then either Miami's or Clemson's homecourts...

Syracuse has lost to UMass, Rhode Island, Drexel, Bucknell & SH the last few years. I guess maybe the dome is a touhg place to play for BE teams but not for A10 teams?

Syracuse has lost to UMass, Rhode Island, Drexel, Bucknell & SH the last few years. I guess maybe the dome is a touhg place to play for BE teams but not for A10 teams?

Cuse has always had a weakness when it comes to the A10...Never could quite figure that one out.

Last year we finished 0-2 or 0-3 vs. the A10, .500 vs. the Big East, and 2-0 vs. the ACC.

Luckily no A10 opponents are on the schedule this year.

From the article...

I'm picking Syracuse eighth in the Big East because it jibes with the preseason Top 25 (and one) that has already been established. But let me be clear: I like this team a lot. So when the Orange end up in the top 15 this season, I want you to remember this paragraph and that this is one of my favorite rosters in the country.

In other words, 8 BE teams will be top 15 teams in the nation at some point this season. Not too hard to believe, considering there already are 5 or 6 I believe.

Villanova takes the court for the home opener on Friday!

and when I return to the North later in the month, I'll be heading over to the Palestra in Philly to watch Nova play in the Philly Classic.

More good news: Today is the day that the Villanova Alumni Assoc. ticket sale began, and I managed to snag 4 tickets for our game against Georgetown (with Alumni reception in my favorite part of the Wachovia Center -- the Lexus Club), as well as tickets to the Temple game. Both of which sold out within 5 minutes of the start of the sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Seton Hall just beat USC 63-61.

WOW. So much for the bottom 3rd of the BE sucking. This conference is easily the toughest, top to bottom, in the nation right now. Maybe even the toughest in NCAA history. How many times have 7 teams from a conference been in the top 25? 8 in the top 30...and a team considered to be at the bottom of the conference just beat a team considered to be at the top of the Pac 10. WOW.

The bottom half of the BE sucks and 1 game will not change that.

I dont think the bottom HALF sucks.

I think

Uconn

Lville

Pitt

Notre Dame

Nova

Georgetown

Syracuse

Marquette

ane West Virgina

are all very good teams...

I think Providence and Rutgers are both okay teams

Then the remaining teams at the bottom:

Seton Hall

SJU

USF

and Cincinnati

are all much weaker teams, but obviously, still capable of pulling out some big wins against better opponents.

F YEAH!!!!!

Two HUUGE wins vs Florida and Kansas the past two days to improve to 5-0 and to bring home the CBE Classic title!!!

The Big East by the way keeps on proving why that they truly are the best conference in the nation. No losses for any of the top 9 teams thus far...And some of them played a lot of REALLY tough opponents as well (ND played Texas today, SU played Florida and Kansas, Uconn beat Wisconsin today...) All 'Cuse has to do now is beat Virginia at home on Friday and they'll be the 8th Big East team in the top 25.

Lets make it happen!

The BE is definitely the best conference, they should always have more top teams than other conferences b/c they have so many more teams but SU SHOULD be beating teams like UF and KU. Neither of those teams are a top team, they are borderline top 25 teams and SU should beat them.

Let's see what ND can do against a banged up heels team tonight in Maui.

The BE is definitely the best conference, they should always have more top teams than other conferences b/c they have so many more teams but SU SHOULD be beating teams like UF and KU. Neither of those teams are a top team, they are borderline top 25 teams and SU should beat them.

hansborough and his stress shin may not play, and he is banged up regfardless..starter Marcus Ginyard's out with his still-healing broken foot, reserve Mike Copeland's still-mending knee, freshman Tyler Zeller's out with his newly fractured left wrist.,.

this is a shell of team that started out ,,if they win tonight it will speak to thier strength,,

well we saw what a banged up UNC team without their 7 footer 7th man in rotation and thier starting best defensive player did to the 8th ranked team in country

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-tarheels112608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

well we saw what a banged up UNC team without their 7 footer 7th man in rotation and thier starting best defensive player did to the 8th ranked team in country

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-tarheels112608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

That game was a complete blowout, there's no denying how good UNC is this year. On the other hand, it is somewhat mind boggling that the 8th ranked team in the nation you mention is also the 4th ranked Big East team.

By the way, how the hell are there so many UNC fans in Hawaii??

That game was a complete blowout, there's no denying how good UNC is this year. On the other hand, it is somewhat mind boggling that the 8th ranked team in the nation you mention is also the 4th ranked Big East team.

By the way, how the hell are there so many UNC fans in Hawaii??

ya,,but would have the 3 teams ahead of them blown out ND like UNC did on a nuetral court?

I dont think Duke or several other ACC teams would have lost by that much..

So many UNC fans in Hawaii,,

haha,,money..UNC grads have lots of moolah ;)

like NYJUNC said, lets wait,,rankings mean shiiit this time of year...

Archived