Stuart Scott has one eye because of the Jets?

Is this true? Found it on wikipedia.

Eye injury

Scott had a couple of cornea transplants when he was younger. But, in 2002, Scott had been invited to join in the New York Jets pre-season training camp by head coach Herm Edwards. Scott was filming a story about football minicamps for ESPN. He was struck by a football launched from a JUGS machine during receiver drills. He had to undergo corneal surgery that same evening and was out of work for a couple months. He now wears thicker glasses to cover up the fact that he indeed only has one eye and has the teleprompter moved closer. His false eye, which is entirely immobile, appears to be constructed of a glass like material.

Is this true? Found it on wikipedia.

Eye injury

Scott had a couple of cornea transplants when he was younger. But, in 2002, Scott had been invited to join in the New York Jets pre-season training camp by head coach Herm Edwards. Scott was filming a story about football minicamps for ESPN. He was struck by a football launched from a JUGS machine during receiver drills. He had to undergo corneal surgery that same evening and was out of work for a couple months. He now wears thicker glasses to cover up the fact that he indeed only has one eye and has the teleprompter moved closer. His false eye, which is entirely immobile, appears to be constructed of a glass like material.

We had a rather long thread on this last year but I can't recall the outcome. I had initially thought he did it playing rackettball but I think we concluded that wasn't it.

its true, did some research on it

Q. Back in the spring, you sustained a severe eye injury while filming a story about football minicamps with the Jets. Tell us what happened.

I had gotten in shape and (Jets coach) Herman Edwards gave me permission to go to minicamp with them. I was doing a feature for ESPN on what it's like to be in minicamp. But I was serious about it.

The day I was there, there were eight wideouts and the wide receiver coach said I was rated number six. I didn't have any delusions of grandeur. I was hoping I'd be good enough to be a scrub wide receiver or a practice wide receiver in the NFL. I found that out that day. I didn't disappoint myself and I didn't embarrass myself.

At end of practice all the wideouts went to the Jugs Machine, it's a machine that shoots balls out. I had never done that before. I had been catching everything that day in practice from the quarterbacks. I was probably a little close and the thing was fast and the thing was faster than I thought it was.

Q. The ball, coming out of the machine, hit you square in the left eye. How bad was it?

It was serious. I had emergency surgery that night and was out of work for a couple months. It was tough. I had some eye surgery before so I knew how severe it was. It was probably more scary that day, not knowing. The next day came and I knew it would be a long recovery back. I still need some more surgery. The eye is not great now. But I had some time off.

Edited by harris5214

I had gotten in shape and (Jets coach) Herman Edwards gave me permission to go to minicamp with them. I was doing a feature for ESPN on what it's like to be in minicamp. But I was serious about it.

The day I was there, there were eight wideouts and the wide receiver coach said I was rated number six. I didn't have any delusions of grandeur. I was hoping I'd be good enough to be a scrub wide receiver or a practice wide receiver in the NFL. I found that out that day. I didn't disappoint myself and I didn't embarrass myself.

I call bull****. Guy is older than me, never played college or any other ball as far as I'm aware. I think I saw him in celebrity basketball and don't remember his fat ass being coordinated. Practice squad receivers are monsters. Your average Arena Football League player is awesome.

PS: You take a ball in the face bad enough to require emergency surgery and have your eye removed and you aren't embarrassed or disappointed? WTF?

I call bull****. Guy is older than me, never played college or any other ball as far as I'm aware. I think I saw him in celebrity basketball and don't remember his fat ass being coordinated. Practice squad receivers are monsters. Your average Arena Football League player is awesome.

PS: You take a ball in the face bad enough to require emergency surgery and have your eye removed and you aren't embarrassed or disappointed? WTF?

Yeah people don't understand just how good NFL athletes are. They're definitely the best athletes overall in major sports.

Brock Lesnar couldn't make it onto an NFL team, but now he just physically manhandles people in the UFC. That should tell you right there what kind of athletes you see on television. And why QBs need to be protected.

That is why I hate Stuart Scott, he THINKS he's a professional athlete and he tries to be buddy buddy w/ all the guys he's around. I don't wish injury on people but it is funny how this guy thought he was mr. athlete gets hurt 5 trying to be one. he couldn't even catch a ball from a jugs machine but he was #6 of 8 on the minicamp roster:p

• 12 years later...