Did the Jets make any apparent offseason blunders?

Mister Morals

Dear Friends,

You can discuss the draft if you like, but I do not believe that should be judged at this point. In addition, the season is young so things can change.

As for the other transactions:

Trading of Vilma and Robertson (was that a trade?), addition by subtraction.

Calvin Pace---no blunder here

Alan Faneca---no blunder here

Damian Woody---not a blunder, not a big upgrade as of yet, but cannot call a blunder

Kris Jenkins---no blunder here

Brett Favre---no blunder here

Tony Richardson-? RB has cement legs so who knows

Extending Chris Baker---that was recent, correct? That is a blunder.

Bye

Dear Friends,

You can discuss the draft if you like, but I do not believe that should be judged at this point. In addition, the season is young so things can change.

Damian Woody---not a blunder, not a big upgrade as of yet, but cannot call a blunder

Bye

adding you as a fan.

Dear Friends,

Bye

my balls are itching me today, if you do not mind i wouldn't mind a scratch

Dear Friends,

Bye

Chris Baker wasn't necessarily extended. He was given a big roster bonus for NEXT YR, so the Jets are forced to decide by 3/1/09 if he's in the plans (and give him the cash) or let him walk (and not give him the cash). Actually this was an awesome move.

#1 blunder... Gholston.

The NYJETS lack a big-time LB the Ray Lewis,Brian Urlacher,Shane Meriman type.This is why I miss Vilma who was a also a defensive genius and field leader.

I wouldn't call Vilma that but he would have been very good this season playing behind the Jets revamped d-line.

The NYJETS lack a big-time LB the Ray Lewis,Brian Urlacher,Shane Meriman type.This is why I miss Vilma who was a also a defensive genius and field leader.

Vilma is a nice guy. Not in the mold of any of those guys. Not an impact player. Not a game plan changer. I don't think he was a genius or a great leader at the NFL level. Certainly was at UM. I was 110% by his selection.

Here is why Gholston is blunder #1.

Before the 2007 season, we spent BIG COIN on Bryan Thomas. He had a bad season, sure, but before the draft, they knew that he had changed.

Before the draft this year, we spent BIGGER COIN on Calvin Pace...

Sure, you can never have enough depth at OLB in the 3-4, but you can only spend so much on a position too... s o now we had to give #6 money to another OLB! That's a lot of coin in OLB.

Vilma is a nice guy. Not in the mold of any of those guys. Not an impact player. Not a game plan changer. I don't think he was a genius or a great leader at the NFL level. Certainly was at UM. I was 110% by his selection.

as most people did, i liked vilma as a person but he just wasn't an impact linebacker. After people started calling him out for being very weak on blitzes i started watching him much closer. Hate to say it but those "haters" were spot on. Vilma is almost alergic to getting a sack.

To me, in order to be a big time defender of any kind, you almost have to be able to get to the QB regardless of what the defense does to scheme against you. To scheme against Vilma is almost laughable, all you needed was a fullback or a big running back to make sure that New York's middle linebacker stayed a good 6 feet from your QB.

He's just not a game breaker, he's almost like the Curtis Martin of offense, great long term stats but not the guy you want heading into a playoff game.

Did Mangini ever consider moving Vilma to safety with Rhodes.Might have been a worthwhile change of position.He is decent on pass coverage.Im sure he could do alot better than Eric Smith.

Vilma = fast for a LB, SLOW for a safety, not to mention he lacks the cover skills.

Did Mangini ever consider moving Vilma to safety with Rhodes.Might have been a worthwhile change of position.He is decent on pass coverage.Im sure he could do alot better than Eric Smith.

I doubt Vilma had enough speed for it. We would be just like the cowboys in having to cover for roy williams all game. It also would have moved rhodes to FS, thus making us even slower and weaker in pass defense.

I like Vilma but i really doubt he could pull that off. I'd be interested to hear what an NFL scout has to say about it though.

I doubt Vilma had enough speed for it. We would be just like the cowboys in having to cover for roy williams all game. It also would have moved rhodes to FS, thus making us even slower and weaker in pass defense.

I like Vilma but i really doubt he could pull that off. I'd be interested to hear what an NFL scout has to say about it though.

Just a thought im not a scout or an NFL coach might have been worth while with the current situation.

Just a thought im not a scout or an NFL coach might have been worth while with the current situation.

who knows, that stuff might work but i have never heard mention of it before so maybe it doesn't. Then again, the single wing offense was only a college play until 3 weeks ago.

who knows...

but it destroys my view of NYC. Is it moral to ruin the views of the beauty of the center of the universe? What does Giants Stadium have to do with NYC...It is a pig farm. Good Day.

Why is it ok for someone to force their views on me yet I cant force my views on you?

What, is this russia? Do you have gazpacho for everyone?

3f03q.jpg

Here is why Gholston is blunder #1.

Before the 2007 season, we spent BIG COIN on Bryan Thomas. He had a bad season, sure, but before the draft, they knew that he had changed.

Before the draft this year, we spent BIGGER COIN on Calvin Pace...

Sure, you can never have enough depth at OLB in the 3-4, but you can only spend so much on a position too... s o now we had to give #6 money to another OLB! That's a lot of coin in OLB.

Thats some major hindsight vision, friendo.

Seriously, now we're gonna pass on a player because we have Bryan frickin Thomas? Cmon.

Archived