how about HOVAN???

spjets

I have him as the 6th rated free agent DT. The top 4 are already signed...so after Ron Edwards of Buffalo he's the best unrestricted option.

5. Ron Edwards Buffalo

6. Chris Hovan Minnesota

7. Joe Salave'a Washington

8. Leonardo Carson Dallas

9. Lance Legree New York (N)

10. Tony Williams Cincinnati

People slam Hovan and he deserves it to some degree. But LeGree's best season in 2004 (22 tackles and 2 sacks), really is only as good as Hovan's "bad seasons".

He's 26 years old and deserves another shot to regain his form--once a 2nd team NFL All-Pro. I think he'll get the chance, but not the Jets. At the very least, he's got much more potential than LeGree, I think.

Also, Teddy Cotrell basically ruined that Vikings defense. George O'Leary had them humming a couple seasons ago; now they are total, absolute garbage.

Fact: Vikings safeties had 2 Int's last season in 2004...the season before the two starting safeties had 17.

With Teddy, they yielded too many yards and got no turnovers. Hovan was a problem, but slow LB's and small lineman really hurt too.

Vikings are going "nowhere' fast. Hovan is getting out at the right time.

Word is Hovan is going to Arizona. We'll see?

My only question on Hovan is how he would fit into the Jets D Line. Maybe Bit can better answer this but I believe Hovan is more of a 3 technique, one gap D Tackle. Idk how he would fit next to D Rob.

Good comments by all. Shows this board is better than can be expected in a short period of time :lol:

Here's the ESPN Insider write-up/scouting report on him (75 is a real high score--probably done prior to the 2004 season--that's almost Pro Bowl like):

2004 Scouting Report - Football Scouts Inc.

Name: Chris Hovan

Position: Defensive Tackle

Grade: 75 | Key

Alert: None

Comment:

Hovan is a blue collar type that doesn't have great athletic skills. Appears to be very heady and instinctive player. He is excellent when he is on the move in stunts, and that is probably the best part of his game. He has decent change of direction skills, he really makes an offensive linemen work to redirect in pass protection, and can make plays in space. He is somewhat undersized, however, and despite his aggressiveness he cannot get into a lot of bull rush situations or short area fist fights with bigger, more physical offensive lineman. He is also overly aggressive and at times, in an effort to make things happen, he will take himself out of a play. While he is still a very good football player and you love his work ethic, the reality is that he is not an overly gifted athlete. He will continue to play DT in Minnesota's 4-man defensive fronts, but when the Vikings go to a 3-4 scheme, he has a chance to really flourish as the nose tackle and he can use his one gap quickness to disrupt things inside.

R44: I disagree about the "lack of athletic skills"....He worked out like a "big freak" to get into round 1 of the 2000 draft...That's untrue, I think.

I have him as the 6th rated free agent DT. The top 4 are already signed...so after Ron Edwards of Buffalo he's the best unrestricted option.

5. Ron Edwards Buffalo

6. Chris Hovan Minnesota

7. Joe Salave'a Washington

8. Leonardo Carson Dallas

9. Lance Legree New York (N)

10. Tony Williams Cincinnati

People slam Hovan and he deserves it to some degree. But LeGree's best season in 2004 (22 tackles and 2 sacks), really is only as good as Hovan's "bad seasons".

He's 26 years old and deserves another shot to regain his form--once a 2nd team NFL All-Pro. I think he'll get the chance, but not the Jets. At the very least, he's got much more potential than LeGree, I think.

Also, Teddy Cotrell basically ruined that Vikings defense. George O'Leary had them humming a couple seasons ago; now they are total, absolute garbage.

Fact: Vikings safeties had 2 Int's last season in 2004...the season before the two starting safeties had 17.

With Teddy, they yielded too many yards and got no turnovers. Hovan was a problem, but slow LB's and small lineman really hurt too.

Vikings are going "nowhere' fast. Hovan is getting out at the right time.

Word is Hovan is going to Arizona. We'll see?

The Redskins have re-signed defensive tackle Joe Salave'a, the team announced on Wednesday. Salave'a was a key contributor to a Redskins' defense that finished the 2004 season ranked third in the NFL last season.

R44- Take Salave'a off the list of availables not that we really wanted him-

Archived