Kerry Rhodes = Most Overrated Jet

drago

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We all clamored for him to get a pro bowl bid last year and the year prior. Maybe he earned it for numbers but when you think of how bad our offense was last year, he had to be getting a ton more snaps than the next guys.

A pro bowl safety is someone to fear, like bob sanders or Palumalu. Those are guys that are always in on the play, when they are told to blitz, they get close to the QB or get the sack. Rhodes doesn't do any of that.

His best play today was his one hand catch that was out of bounds. He is just not a player to be feared, he's Bryan Thomas the second, gets paid, takes the year off. (although not nearly as bad as BT was last year, not even close, no one is that bad)

This Thread= The stupidest one I read all day.

Me, 4Hcrew and 124 had this conversation after the game yesterday. What bothers me is that you go to bat for this guy and claim he got the raw end of the deal for two straight season with not making the probowl but again like last season off to a quiet start. You sit there and just wait for him to make a play, right now minus waving his hands in the air on third downs he has been a non factor, now on the other hand I am a HUGE Rhodes fan so I'm willing to say that he isn't be utilized now to his strengths and that falls in the lap of Mr. Bobby Sutton. Plain and simple he is farrrrrrrr from being overated he is filled with talent and a impact player for us we have seen this but 5 games in you just need to ask yourself where is he and when will he show up...

Me, 4Hcrew and 124 had this conversation after the game yesterday. What bothers me is that you go to bat for this guy and claim he got the raw end of the deal for two straight season with not making the probowl but again like last season off to a quiet start. You sit there and just wait for him to make a play, right now minus waving his hands in the air on third downs he has been a non factor, now on the other hand I am a HUGE Rhodes fan so I'm willing to say that he isn't be utilized now to his strengths and that falls in the lap of Mr. Bobby Sutton. Plain and simple he is farrrrrrrr from being overated he is filled with talent and a impact player for us we have seen this but 5 games in you just need to ask yourself where is he and when will he show up...

After Troy Polamalu had his big year in 2004, he's never touched those numbers again. Why?

Because teams scheme away from the better players on your team when they can.

Kerry Rhodes will make his plays... Anyone killing him should answer this, if you're going to throw the ball down field, and you have the choice between throwing at Kerry Rhodes or Eric Smith, which direction are you calling the plays?

After Troy Polamalu had his big year in 2004, he's never touched those numbers again. Why?

Kerry Rhodes will make his plays... Anyone killing him should answer this, if you're going to throw the ball down field, and you have the choice between throwing at Kerry Rhodes or Eric Smith, which direction are you calling the plays?

great post

agreed. still doesnt explain where he is on blitzes.

Excellent point. Teams are throwing away from Kerry's side of the field.

agreed. still doesnt explain where he is on blitzes.

As I said earlier in the thread.

The safety blitz is a very risky play, one that leaves a team very vulnerable against the pass, ie a quick slant where the WR beats the corner and has nothing but sunshine ahead of him.

When we blitzed him heavily, it was because we needed to take that risk, because he was our only option of generating pressure. Now, we can get pressure with our OLBs, which is what you're supposed to do in the 3-4, and there's no need to take a safety out of position 3 or 4 times a game.

Less gimmicks means less #s for Rhodes, but a significant improvement for our defense, as is evidenced by the overall #s.

-The defense rests-

agree with the point, but if teams are avoiding throwing to rhodes's side and revis's side then when do they throw? teams still have to throw the ball and attempt to make plays and im sure they do avoid rhodes side of the field i dont argue that at all but that doesnt explain why his has been a zero factor this season. there is a lot more to it.

agree with the point, but if teams are avoiding throwing to rhodes's side and revis's side then when do they throw? teams still have to throw the ball and attempt to make plays and im sure they do avoid rhodes side of the field i dont argue that at all but that doesnt explain why his has been a zero factor this season. there is a lot more to it.

Because the logic that he has been a zero factor is faulty.

Just because you don't see him making big plays, does not mean he hasn't been solid in coverage and doing everything right.

Remember when Ty Law had what? 10 INTs for us? Did he really have a good year at the position? Or did he have 30 yards of defensive holding for every one INT? Perhaps you'd rather Antonio Cromartie, who will get you 12 INTs, and get beat for 12 big plays because he always plays for the ball?

Listen, everyone would love Rhodes to have 20 INTs right now, but the point is simple, there's no reason to kill a guy, or call him overrated, when he's doing everything right. As we've seen in the past, Rhodes will make plays when given the opportunity... Has he really had many yet?

Because the logic that he has been a zero factor is faulty.

Just because you don't see him making big plays, does not mean he hasn't been solid in coverage and doing everything right.

Remember when Ty Law had what? 10 INTs for us? Did he really have a good year at the position? Or did he have 30 yards of defensive holding for every one INT? Perhaps you'd rather Antonio Cromartie, who will get you 12 INTs, and get beat for 12 big plays because he always plays for the ball?

Listen, everyone would love Rhodes to have 20 INTs right now, but the point is simple, there's no reason to kill a guy, or call him overrated, when he's doing everything right. As we've seen in the past, Rhodes will make plays when given the opportunity... Has he really had many yet?[/quote]

thats my point exactly..im not one who is calling him overrated, it's well seen he is doing everything right, he is playing great football, but as a "playmaker" give him a chance to do so. i know will see that when the times right, but hasnt had many opportunities yet, at all. for me its when will that time come???

• 5 months later...
That's silly.

Someone please delete this thread.

Hey Ghost, remember this thread? Just a few months ago you thought it was silly to say Rhodes is overrated. Now, just today, you post that "rhodes blows".

Bandwagon much? Grow a backbone.

I was very disappointed in Rhodes play last season. He was out of position much of the time and had to make up for the LBs inability to fall back into coverage, as Mangini had them do over and over again. I am hoping that the problem was in Mangini/Sutton's bad defensive schemes. No excuses for 2009. Either Rhodes puts up or we accept that our FO over rated him.

A friend of mine played football with him at Louisville and is a friend of Rhodes. He told me Rhodes used to be the most humble guy in college but now he thinks he's all big shot hollywood.....

I wasnt surprised to hear it. Rhodes is a giant dooshey.

lol

are there more than 5 jets that are universally liked by the fans ?

revis mangold cotchery leon

I just read how jenkins "wasn't terrible" in another thread

jets fans can be really tough to take sometimes, lol

Archived