Thomas Jones=Most overrated Jet??

Seconds Out

In respectful response to the earlier topic of Kerry Rhodes being overrated, I had to start this. Thomas Jones is a total letdown IMO. He gives us no versatility in the backfield. Definately more overrated than Kerry Rhodes. This guy was supposed to be a gamebreaker when we got him. I would have rather kept Lamont Jordan.

For someone to be overrated, wouldn't they have to be highly rated first?

Thats exactly what makes it worse for Thomas Jones. He's not even that highly rated and yet he cant even live up to that. Some Jet fans will let this 3TD day fool them....but not I. He still only has 5TD his last 21 games as a Jet. While other RB's in the league are getting 10 to 20plus in a season. This dude had a good game today, but it in no way erases his start. Hopefully he'll capitalize on this. I really dont want to say that I doubt it but I really do. I used to be a believer but even outside of scoring, there has been so many situations where he could have came up big for the team on just this ONE PLAY to secure a victory or help run the clock but instead he cant do it.

He's overrated.

Thats exactly what makes it worse for Thomas Jones. He's not even that highly rated and yet he cant even live up to that. Some Jet fans will let this 3TD day fool them....but not I. He still only has 5TD his last 21 games as a Jet. While other RB's in the league are getting 10 to 20plus in a season. This dude had a good game today, but it in no way erases his start. Hopefully he'll capitalize on this. I really dont want to say that I doubt it but I really do. I used to be a believer but even outside of scoring, there has been so many situations where he could have came up big for the team on just this ONE PLAY to secure a victory or help run the clock but instead he cant do it.

He's overrated.

We could definitely upgrade the position, and we will, eventually. But, for now, he's what we've got, and our line has really yet to assert itself in the running game.

Jones is average, but his pedestrian numbers (at best) are not all on him.

We could definitely upgrade the position, and we will, eventually. But, for now, he's what we've got, and our line has really yet to assert itself in the running game.

Jones is average, but his pedestrian numbers (at best) are not all on him.

Are you serious? Yesterday this guy had only 2TD's his last 20 games. When have you seen this guy "explode"? We cant blame the O-line for arm tackles that TJ cant break. Running backs need to be able to break tackles. If not then they need the elusivenss and finness to outrun and slip through holes. This guy has none of that. Im not blaming his lack of success on the line. Im sorry. It'll be first and goal on the 3 yardline and he cant punch it in. I mean, jump over the top or something. When's the last time ore EVER have we really seen this guy take over or atleast be a threat?

Its a damn shame when a team scores 56 points and not one TD is a rushing TD. Chatman (not saying that he's better) has that type of swagger about him. He's smash mouth and he breaks tackles. He's agressive at the right moments and he runs with a purpose. Its like TJ runs for the sake of the play called, not to really take the game into his hands. And the moment it looks like he's about to do so he'll fumble the ball JUST like he did on monday night against the Chargers. Im upset with dude. Mangenius needs to let me have a talk with Mr. Jones. I'll straighten his azz out.

Are you serious? Yesterday this guy had only 2TD's his last 20 games. When have you seen this guy "explode"?

When did we ever see Curtis Marin "explode"? Some guys just aren't built that way. (Oh, and I'm not comparing the two players, just making a point)

It's not like we see Leon Washington making his way through huge holes either. The point is that it's not all TJ, he's mediocre, but he's not exactly being given gaps like some of the other comparable backs in this league.

If you want to blame our lack-luster running game all on him, go ahead, but that's ignoring the reality as no one else behind our line is making huge strides, including Leon, and while the sample size is small, Chatham didn't exactly do anything with his carries today.

When did we ever see Curtis Marin "explode"? Some guys just aren't built that way. (Oh, and I'm not comparing the two players, just making a point)

It's not like we see Leon Washington making his way through huge holes either. The point is that it's not all TJ, he's mediocre, but he's not exactly being given gaps like some of the other comparable backs in this league.

If you want to blame our lack-luster running game all on him, go ahead, but that's ignoring the reality as no one else behind our line is making huge strides, including Leon, and while the sample size is small, Chatham didn't exactly do anything with his carries today.

I havent really seen Curtis Martin "explode". He wasnt an explosive player, he was a Finness player. Curtis Martin would get you 4 yards per carry consistently. He would punch in the ball for a score for you. He may not have gotten huge gains but he was almost never stopped in the backfield or at the line of scrimmage. He would get you 7 to 8 TD's a year. He rarely fumbled the football.

Alot of the successful backs in the NFL dont have ocean-wide holes set up for them by their o-line as the way you're kind of portraying it. The problem is that Thomas Jones cannot break a tackle. As for the other RB's this year, they're not consistenly touching the football. TJ is our starting QB.

Let me give you some statistics on Mr. Jones.

TJ's 1TD last year came against the worst team in the league (Dolphins) AFTER Leon Washington ran for a huge gain and got the ball all the way down to the 1 yard line.

TJ's first TD this year came against the Dolphins, one of the worst teams in the league still.

TJ's NEXT 3 TD's (Today) came against the worst team in the league (arguably).

It seems that TJ plays his best games against the worst teams in the league. Thats not even Mediocre man,

If im correct, if we add the wins that the teams that TJ has scored against for that particular year, it'll look like this... (3 total wins). Dolphins only had 1 win last year I believe and they have 2 this year. The bengals have none this year.

TJ's stats are horrible man. There's nothing Mediocre about this dude.

5TD's in 21games (including his three today against 1 team)...This isnt mediocre. This is horrid. You cant blame that on the O-line. He still ran for over 1100 yards last year.

Fact. TJ is the only RB to have ran for over 1000 yards in a season yet only produce 1TD that year. Can you blame that on the O-line?

Bottomline, The Jets will be shopping for a RB during the Draft. The only way TJ keeps his job is if he out of nowhere becomes a freak of nature and makes the probowl. other than that, This dude is either gone or minimum, he stays until our draft pick is developed.

In respectful response to the earlier topic of Kerry Rhodes being overrated, I had to start this. Thomas Jones is a total letdown IMO. He gives us no versatility in the backfield. Definately more overrated than Kerry Rhodes. This guy was supposed to be a gamebreaker when we got him. I would have rather kept Lamont Jordan.

or gone after michael turner as many here were correctly suggesting. Thomas Jones=Neil O donell, he got to a superbowl toward the end of a mediocre career because of a great defense and special teams( in jones' case it was also another RB sharing carries who made him better.)

Then we grabbed them and what we got is what we bought, average , aging players who make no impact.

I won't kill them on it, since the ALSO got Pace,Jenkins,Faneca, and, of course, the man, Brett Favre!

But, yeh, Jones blows, Leon should be the one and Jones the "change of pace back", that pace being slow.**

**Not too much to effects Leon's return game which is a huge part of our game right now. But these guys should be ready to handle it.

TJ did all right for us last year, considering what he had to work with. That last game against KC last year-the overtime win-TJ just took the ball on his shoulders and took it down the field play after play.

We had it figured that if he could play okay with last year's lousy Oline, with this new Oline he should get a big step-up in production.

So far, it hasn't happened. Maybe he needs more time to gel with the Oline, I don't know.But admittedly it hasn't happened so far. But I don't know that he has been that awful-just lackluster.

That three cracks at the TD sequence wasn't great, but I sure didn't see any push from the Oline on that sequence of plays. Yes, you like to think a running back should find his way through somehow during three tries, but I still didn't see much from that Oline either.

list of biased statistics

You forgot to add all of his stats when he played behind the bears offensive line, just 2 years ago.

2006: 1200 yrds, 4.1 YPC, 6TDs, 1 FUM

That's playing on a team with another 1st round RB.

Unless he left his ability/heart in Chicago, our run blocking has something to do with it as well. And again, I'll repeat, I'm not exonerating Jones, just saying he's not horrendous like many Jets fans claim.

Archived