ESPN's Scouts Inc: Larry Johnson to Jets makes sense

And I 100% agree although I wouldn't give up a 2nd. A 3rd would be a great deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3642190

Kansas City RB Larry Johnson to the N.Y. Jets for a second-round draft pick that could escalate into a No. 1 based on performance and the team's success

Why it works for Kansas City: Johnson, 28, already has an awful lot of wear and tear on his body and the Chiefs now have a lot invested in him financially. Here is a news flash: Kansas City is not going to win the Super Bowl this year or next season. So go with Jamaal Charles and Kolby Smith for the remainder of his season and maybe next year. Meanwhile, use the additional draft picks and cap space to revamp their roster in much the same way as Miami did when Bill Parcells arrived. Running back is the easiest position to plug in and it should be the last piece of their huge rebuilding project, not the first.

Why it works for New York: Thomas Jones is a good back, but I'm not sure he's a true No. 1 any more. Imagine adding Johnson to this mix with Jones and Leon Washington spelling him to keep him hungry and fresh. No team has taken more of a win-now approach to their roster and this could put the Jets over the top. Giving up a second-round pick that could turn into a first-rounder based on production and the Jets' success could make sense.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing not in agreement is what we'd give up. No way would I give up a 2nd that could turn into a 1st because if we were to do that we'd be losing both our 1st & 2nd round draft picks next year with the Favre deal and Johnson deal.

However I'd gladly give up our 3rd round pick and have either a 1st or 2nd round pick, depending if Favre can get us into the playoffs and the Super Bowl or not.

2nd & 3rd for Favre / Johnson if its playoffs.

1st & 3rd for Favre / Johnson if its Super Bowl.

How would this ever work salary cap wise?

We'd have to dump Thomas Jones or move money around. Johnson only makes $600,000 some more than Jones so Jones would have to be released or the Jets would have to push Johnson's money aside to next season.

If we got Larry Johnson we could all start buying up the rooms and tickets for Tampa by 4:01pm.

I'm just sayin'.

But you know its not going to happen. Pipe dreams.

What do you base that on? A lot of wear and tear and health issues with him.

Kansas City does not have a good Offensive Line and Johnson's numbers this year are still high:

93 attempts

417 yards

4.5 ypc

3 TD

He's not worn down, not even close. Still has plenty of years left. Lets remember how many years Curtis had on him before Herm came in in 2001 and began to wear him down.

LJ has had 1 300+ carry season and 1 400+ carry season.

He would be great here - definitely make us a SB team.

But - this just won't happen. It hasen't been confirmed that we are shopping for him and also, trades don't happen often during the season.

Don't get your hopes up...

They don't happen usually, but they've happened before. Both KC & DET are shopping.

But I do agree that it isn't going to happen, but it would be nice.

Oh yeah, and lets not forget that on top of having a decent at best Offensive Line in KC he also has a moron for a coach and the Chiefs have perhaps the worst passing offense in the NFL. Yet here he is averaging 4.5 ypc this season. Only 1,143 attempts since joining the league in 2003.

Yeah, he's totally washed up.

And I 100% agree although I wouldn't give up a 2nd. A 3rd would be a great deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3642190

Serious question, why the **** would you not give up a 2nd Round pick? Chris Chambers went for a 2nd, Jason Taylor for a 2nd etc.

Furthermore, the Chiefs would be asking for two 2nd's or a 1st IMO. (See: Jared Allen)

Serious question, why the **** would you not give up a 2nd Round pick? Chris Chambers went for a 2nd, Jason Taylor for a 2nd etc.

Furthermore, the Chiefs would be asking for two 2nd's or a 1st IMO. (See: Jared Allen)

We're already giving up a 1st or 2nd (depending on SB apperance) for Brett Favre. I'm assuming its a 1st or 2nd because I'm assuming we make the postseason (if we don't its only a 3rd). I'd probably give them a 2nd straight up, but not one that would escalate into a 1st.

:rl:

Right.

Okay wanna be thug from Maine. Every single post you make is uneducated, or while you're under the influence of marijuana. Sometimes they're even one word. Yes, you're an adult. Last I remember you were only three or four years above me in that catagory.

Go root for the Giants.

uneducated?

maybe :(

Back on topic before the child pothead of the site had to come in and bring his useless posts into the equation:

This trade isn't going to be happen but if it were to happen it would greatly impact the team in a positive way. Larry Johnson is still a top tier Running Back, he has plenty of years to go. At least 3 or 4 years remaining as a Top 5 Back.

Larry Johson was running behind a horrible OLine on a team with no passing game last year and he was also hurt.

But I do remember his back to back 1,700+ yard seasons in 2005 and 2006 and his so far 4.5 ypc this season behind another horrible OLine and team with no passing game.

One year doesn't make or break someone.

Stick to Baseball blackout, a sport you actually know and understand somewhat.

How many 20+ yard carries do we have from Jones, Washington or Chatman this year? Thanks.

Jets line is A LOT better than KC's and we have a passing game with a certain individual behind center who backs up opposing Linebackers and Secondaries. His name is Brett Favre, IDK, maybe you've heard of him?

Archived