Jets move to 8th in CBS Power Rankings (oh, Pats #14, haha)

SouthernJet

He just wants to look intelligent because we are facing most of the worst teams in the league this year and we aren't a shambles like the Pats at this point and aren't paper tigers like the Bills and Dolphins.

If we make the playoffs, I still think we will be in for a rude awakening like the San Diego game unless they find a real answer to make our running game effective and get better pass coverage in the defensive mid-field.

I think the Pats are ranked too high.

This season is basically one big practice. You better hope the Jets take advantage. This chance won't come again anytime soon.

Here's an interesting article from today:

Now we know: Brady's injury left the NFL without a clear best team - Don Banks

Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury has impacted the entire league, especially the AFC, where there is no clear best team.

Heading into the NFL's Week 7, we hold these truths to be self-evident:

• From a competitive standpoint, I'm here to make the case there has never been an NFL injury that had as much league-wide impact as Tom Brady's knee injury has had this season. That's right, never.

It's not an overstatement to say New England's loss of Brady in the first quarter of its opener has gone a long way toward reshaping the landscape of the NFL standings, giving a wide-open feel to the AFC for the first time in several years.

The ramifications of no No. 12 have been remarkable and become more apparent by the week. Like or loathe them, Super Bowl upset loss to the Giants or not, the Patriots with Brady were the team that the rest of the NFL measured itself against, and also the team that started this season with the best shot of playing for another title in Tampa on Feb. 1. But with the Brady-less Patriots (3-2) transformed into just another good, but far from dominant team, it feels as if almost anyone can dare dream of Super Bowl XLIII.

As the Browns showed us once again Monday night with their 35-14 shellacking of the previously undefeated and defending-champion Giants, there are no great teams in the NFL this year. Just a bunch of hungry contenders, knocking each other off and vying for the crown.

That's how you get a week like Week 6, where the winless Rams can go to Washington and beat a Redskins team that had all kinds of mojo going for itself; the Cardinals can hold off a Cowboys team that once owned them; the Jaguars can go into Mile High and bring the Broncos down to earth and the once-lowly Falcons can deflate a Bears team that was starting to grow a little 2006-like confidence in itself.

In the AFC, nine of 16 teams enter Week 7 with at least three wins and a record of .500 or better, and you can imagine just about all of them going to the playoffs and making some noise. Tennessee (5-0) is the only unbeaten remaining in the league, but there's no real favorite in a conference that has been dominated by the Patriots since 2003. Buffalo leads the AFC East at 4-1, and looks legit, but New England and the Brett Favre-led Jets are within striking distance at 3-2.

In the AFC South, the 3-2 Colts just might have salvaged their season with that home win against Baltimore, and Jacksonville's upset at Denver was critical in getting the 3-3 Jaguars back to .500 and within range of the first-place Titans. In the AFC North, Pittsburgh is comfortably ahead at 4-1, but has injury issues galore and an offensive line that remains its Achilles heel. And while Baltimore fades back to the pack at 2-3, losing three straight, we now can't completely disregard suddenly dangerous Cleveland (2-3), back from dead and winners of two in a row.

In the AFC West, Denver (4-2) is taking on water with two losses in the past three weeks, while San Diego's 30-10 humbling of the Patriots on Sunday night showed the rest of the league just how less-than-invincible New England can look when it's Matt Cassel instead of Brady pulling the trigger.

As for the NFC, two whole divisions are at .500 or better -- the NFC East and NFC South -- and 12 of 16 teams have won at least half their games. But is there really a dominant team? It doesn't feel like it. The Giants (4-1), Cowboys and Redskins (both 4-2) all lost in Week 6, taking some of the luster off the rugged NFC East, and Carolina on Sunday refused to create any sort of separation between itself and Tampa Bay (both 4-2) in the jumble that is the NFC South.

In the NFC North, Chicago, Green Bay and Minnesota (all are 3-3) look like they're waging a contest in mediocrity, and while first-place Arizona is a solid 4-2 in the NFC West, it's still the same old can't-stand-prosperity Cardinals when you scrape off that first layer of paint. The bottom line in the NFC? Almost everybody's still in the Super Bowl chase, and without New England in the role of the Beast in the East, there's no AFC superpower to fear once February is here.

That's what Bernard Pollard wrought when he slammed into Brady's left knee early on the afternoon of Sept. 7, an NFL season devoid of a starting point to navigate from. The vaunted Patriots had provided us with a compass of sorts, but now they're searching for their way like everyone else. Maybe it'll be more fun like this, and maybe it won't. But without Tom Brady around, it's certainly different.

At least Brady is doing something constructive during his season off:

803e0b1e71_brady_10142008.jpg

This season is basically one big practice. You better hope the Jets take advantage. This chance won't come again anytime soon.

Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury has impacted the entire league, especially the AFC, where there is no clear best team.

the kid looks just like him - it's almost frightening. same eyes, nose, mouth.....you think he's going to grow up to be a star athlete and carry a man-purse too? :)

i am really think of getting a man purse..i hear it is "in" nowadays

in fact think i will bring in to Bama

I am absolutely loving this season so far. I really think there are a bunch of AFC teams capable of getting hot and making a SB run. Guess what tho? That would have happened if Brady didn't get hurt as well. To give a Brady injury this kind of credit is ludicrous IMO. Like Brady would have kept Miami and SD from beating the crap out of the Pats D..... No, this would be the case anyway. There are quite a few hungry AFC teams that are just as good as the Brady led Pats, i know it's impossible for a Pat fan to believe that, but it's true.

Now had they WON last years SB? Maybe there's a decent case to be stated.... But all they did was validate that at any point MANY teams could get hot and win a bunch in a row in TODAY's NFL IMHO.

I disagree. Last years Pats defense wasn't all that either....teams were always playing from behind. Brady can lead the offense to huge numbers. Cassel - um....nope.

I am absolutely loving this season so far. I really think there are a bunch of AFC teams capable of getting hot and making a SB run. Guess what tho? That would have happened if Brady didn't get hurt as well. To give a Brady injury this kind of credit is ludicrous IMO. Like Brady would have kept Miami and SD from beating the crap out of the Pats D..... No, this would be the case anyway. There are quite a few hungry AFC teams that are just as good as the Brady led Pats, i know it's impossible for a Pat fan to believe that, but it's true.

Now had they WON last years SB? Maybe there's a decent case to be stated.... But all they did was validate that at any point MANY teams could get hot and win a bunch in a row in TODAY's NFL IMHO.

They lost the Super Bowl on a circus catch and if they had won you would change your opinion? That makes no sense.

The D had plenty of problems but the Pats had their chances in the red zone on Sunday and Cassel crapped the bed. Me thinks Brady would have put them in the endzone a few times.

I agree that the entire league is wide open this year with no clear cut favourite. Lets hope your boy Ben isn't in a full body cast by week 10 :razz:

exactly who have the bills beaten ?

and the titans #1 ? c'mon

I think the best team in the NFL right now is Indy

yup

peyton is over his surgery hangover, and they kicked the **** out of the ravens D

ARe you serious????

I think the titans deserve to be number 1

the bills still have to prove themselves and well the colts are missing some players arent they???

ARe you serious????

I think the titans deserve to be number 1

the bills still have to prove themselves and well the colts are missing some players arent they???

I'm just not sold on the titans O

agreed

colts are missing bob sanders, defensive Safety and run stopper, but they got dallas clark back, and manning harrison and wayne are lookin good

They lost the Super Bowl on a circus catch and if they had won you would change your opinion? That makes no sense.

The D had plenty of problems but the Pats had their chances in the red zone on Sunday and Cassel crapped the bed. Me thinks Brady would have put them in the endzone a few times.

I agree that the entire league is wide open this year with no clear cut favourite. Lets hope your boy Ben isn't in a full body cast by week 10 :razz:

A CIRCUS CATCH? that's what you call it?

THEY LOST BECAUSE THE OTHER TEAM BEAT THEM INTO THE GROUND

come on man, don't be bitter. you're better than that (or so I hear)

exactly who have the bills beaten ?

and the titans #1 ? c'mon

I think the best team in the NFL right now is Indy

yup

peyton is over his surgery hangover, and they kicked the **** out of the ravens D

I think Peyton proved last week that his "pre season" program is complete. ;)

Yeah, these rankings are a little bogus. I don't have a problem with seeing us ranked high though; looking around the league nobody looks that great.

I'd agree, we're a bit high... For now.

But the reality is, as you say, no team has really asserted itself at this point. The Colts look to be back on track, but it's really only one impressive game. The NFC East is all good, but a big mess right now. Giants lost last night, and the reality is, they haven't beaten anyone. The Titans D looks good, but if you score 20+ on them, then what?

Right now, the league looks wide open. Very interesting.

Archived