Mangini the Passionless

Darth Vader

Mangini Press Conference:

"I'm.......ya know..........really proud of.....some things....the way....in the........4th quarter.....this team.............................fought back...ya know....and it's the same thing...........i said to them.......that i said that ya know.....i'm really happy with........some things.....ya know I really....like.....the way the O-Line..........has played...and ya know its like...........snore........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

:indifferent0023:

Mangini. Losing. Indifferently.

The guy is totally emotionless.

I cant stand him to tell the truth. I would just really like him to say, once, you know what, I sucked today. My team played like **** and it falls on me because I am the HC. I need to do a better job of getting this team prepared.

But, nope. Its all about what we did well.

Hey Mangini, you lost to the ****ing Raiders! Does it matter what you did well when you lost the ****ing Raiders.

I cant stand him to tell the truth. I would just really like him to say, once, you know what, I sucked today. My team played like **** and it falls on me because I am the HC. I need to do a better job of getting this team prepared.

Hey Mangini, you lost to the ****ing Raiders! Does it matter what you did well when you lost the ****ing Raiders.

:foshizzle:

i just wanted to use that^

but anyway. yeah. the guy you'd figure would show some urgency, or displeasure, or any sign of life.

The guy was like DOA.

to be fair, many of us thought this act was cute in 2006 when we were winning.

i could give a ****e about his 'emotion'.. just get the team ready to play on sunday- that's all i ask.

but you don't think the team draws something out from the coach?

let me ask you, do you have a manager or do you manage employees?

i mean, response is normal.

no one cares about his emotion after we whip Arizona or Cinny..

what i'm trying to get at is this - yeah, it would be great if the team showed a little more fire on the field, but if we were actually prepared week in and week out and started winning, who would care if the team had a workman's like approach?

Yep.

Firey coaches usually have firey competitive teams.

Look at Wade Phillips for an example. That guy is the biggest goof ball in the world and his roster of 12 Probowlers looks like a bunch of goof balls.

I don't really care about the emotion (or lack thereof) that he shows to the media. The problem is that the team has no emotion on the field. Belichick is even more boring in interviews than Mangini is, but his teams play with passion and swagger. I don't see that second half of the equation from Mangini's Jets.

I really don't think Mangini's calm attitude is an issue. He is the HC. He preaches a policy of "you only have 10 seconds 10 get over a good, or bad play". That is a good thing. Calm intense demeanors on the field is a big plus.

One of the reasons I really wanted Rob Ryan is because he is insane, and very emotional, just like his father. The same with the "Cane".

I think the coordinators are the ones that a team wants being very fiery. The HC should be very calm. I am just so hoping that somehow Ryan shakes out of Oakland this off season. I think he would much rather be here.

First off, if yesterday was a win then no one would give a damn about what color his mood ring is.

Second, you can bash all you want but the calm head coach of the NY Jets managed the game at the end of regulation to get the ball back and did so with over a minute and a half left. After the last Favre pick you probably thought we weren't getting the ball back and if so, we were getting it without any time left.

Your right.....he never takes it on himself and says " guys this ones on me...I didnt have the guys ready....I didnt have a good enough game plan". He will spend 10 minutes talking about how some guy on special teams made a great block and how that could have turned the game around.

Mangini Press Conference:

"I'm.......ya know..........really proud of.....some things....the way....in the........4th quarter.....this team.............................fought back...ya know....and it's the same thing...........i said to them.......that i said that ya know.....i'm really happy with........some things.....ya know I really....like.....the way the O-Line..........has played...and ya know its like...........snore........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

:indifferent0023:

Mangini. Losing. Indifferently.

what do you want a dennis green incident?

the raiders were who we thought they were!

this thread is a fail

Your right.....he never takes it on himself and says " guys this ones on me...I didnt have the guys ready....I didnt have a good enough game plan". He will spend 10 minutes talking about how some guy on special teams made a great block and how that could have turned the game around.

he never what?

what the **** are u talking about?

what he says to the team is private and press is not allowed in there so how can u say that he never says that

he never what?

what the **** are u talking about?

what he says to the team is private and press is not allowed in there so how can u say that he never says that

We were talking about his press conferences...not his private team meeting. Do you ever remember him taking the blame for a loss or sounding the least bit upset over a loss??

We were talking about his press conferences...not his private team meeting. Do you ever remember him taking the blame for a loss or sounding the least bit upset over a loss??

Who cares?

The issue here is the team not playing with emotion on the field. I don't care if Mangini cancels his press conferences altogether if he can get the team playing with passion. So far, he hasn't been able to. Somehow I doubt throwing a tantrum for Rich Cimini will get the players pumped up. The changes that need to occur are in the meeting room and on the sidelines, not in press conferences.

Who cares?

The issue here is the team not playing with emotion on the field. I don't care if Mangini cancels his press conferences altogether if he can get the team playing with passion. So far, he hasn't been able to. Somehow I doubt throwing a tantrum for Rich Cimini will get the players pumped up. The changes that need to occur are in the meeting room and on the sidelines, not in press conferences.

POTWNOM

to be fair, many of us thought this act was cute in 2006 when we were winning.

i could give a ****e about his 'emotion'.. just get the team ready to play on sunday- that's all i ask.

I disagree. A team adopts its leaders demeanor. In football being so darm emotionless is a detriment! The RAIDERS came our and hit everyone in the mouth. We let them do it and played down to their level and lost!

I also question Sutton's fire. I remember when we had a hard hitting, 11 men to the ball defense. Under Bud Carson,Donnie H, under Parcells, under Carroll(as DC), but now we are lifeless on defense.

We know Jenkins is the difference maker, but who's the vocal leader(Vilma was, but that's irrelevant) who is now. Barton's a little fiesty, but we need a Ray Lewis type, a Ronnie Lott......who's that guy for us? I see noone!

What a bunch of horses**t..Screaming on the sidelines or in press conferences

makes you a better coach..This is the NFL.the pregame Gipper speech is high school

crap..They played pretty fired up if you ask me and if Baker's not stumbling downfield and catches the ball game over..

Executing the plays and doing your job, thats how football games are won in the NFL..these guys are elite athletes (on both teams mind you) and I didn't see anything wrong with the game plan or game management just a couple bad breaks and a seriously loud hostile crowd and a phenomonial field goal to win it

What a bunch of horses**t..Screaming on the sidelines or in press conferences

makes you a better coach..This is the NFL.the pregame Gipper speech is high school

crap..They played pretty fired up if you ask me and if Baker's not stumbling downfield and catches the ball game over..

Executing the plays and doing your job, thats how football games are won in the NFL..these guys are elite athletes (on both teams mind you) and I didn't see anything wrong with the game plan or game management just a couple bad breaks and a seriously loud hostile crowd and a phenomonial field goal to win it

POTWNOM

I'd prefer he doesn't say anything in press conferences if he could get away with it. Mangini isn't a good presenter or speaker. Honestly he's comes off looking stupid more times than not. I'm hoping it's an illusion. And I couldn't care less about that if he was getting this team closer to consistancy and good football. We just played close to the sh1tiest team in football after the bye week we had to further develop our new QB with the offense. And looked like buffalo dung except for exploiting their mediocre run D. At the end of the day it's Eric M's fat azz on the line. If Sutton isnt cutting it - Mangini's got to change it. Same goes for Shott times 2. It's his responsibility to make it work. He ain't.

I'd prefer he doesn't say anything in press conferences if he could get away with it. Mangini isn't a good presenter or speaker. Honestly he's comes off looking stupid more times than not. I'm hoping it's an illusion. And I couldn't care less about that if he was getting this team closer to consistancy and good football. We just played close to the sh1tiest team in football after the bye week we had to further develop our new QB with the offense. And looked like buffalo dung except for exploiting their mediocre run D. At the end of the day it's Eric M's fat azz on the line. If Sutton isnt cutting it - Mangini's got to change it. Same goes for Shott times 2. It's his responsibility to make it work. He ain't.

Actually he's a very good speaker. "Hey Eric can you tell us the first five plays and what defense we are playing this week." Can we have the exact injury of Jerricho and what the odds he plays" We had enough of that with Herm..The defense gave up 16 points in 5 periods of football so why would you mention Sutton? I'll bet you Mangini's IQ is close to double yours genius..

Actually he's a very good speaker. "Hey Eric can you tell us the first five plays and what defense we are playing this week." Can we have the exact injury of Jerricho and what the odds he plays" We had enough of that with Herm..The defense gave up 16 points in 5 periods of football so why would you mention Sutton? I'll bet you Mangini's IQ is close to double yours genius..

+1

Actually, why the hell are we even bringing Sutton into this?

This defense held the Raiders to 13 points in regulation. They gave up only three after Leon fumbles on his own 16. The defense did its job.

I must seriously wonder what exactly it is that you people want out of a press conference. Do you want him to break out a guitar and strum "Kum-baya"? Do you want him to rant about how "[He's] a MAN! [He's] 40!". Yeah, Mike Gundy won a lot of games after that. Personally, I could give a damn about what he says. I think press conferences are just a level above the stupid sideline reporter interviewing the coach as he runs into the locker room at halftime. What the hell do you expect him to say? "We're gonna line up in the second half in the wishbone and then run 46 Power followed by a Fake Belly-X-Post." WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!

What bothered the heck out of me was in yesterday's paper Mangini was quoted as saying he was happy with the offense's approach in overtime.

It is one thing to be emotionless (the idea is that you don't want people to panic so the HC is the steadying influence), but there is another thing to have a disconnect to reality.

What's troubling is that this is not the first time we've seen this. We saw this with the personnel front and how they mismanaged going into 2007 with Vilma & DRob and then had to sell low on both players this past offseason. Mangini misjudged the talent on the team last year and Mangini seems to have misjudged what his team can and cannot do this year.

We have the idiot Cimini writing today that Favre's arm may be hurting for the reason why the Jets didn't challenge the defense in OT with them showing 8 in the box. Heck, why don't question whether it was simply bad coaching. Favre's arm could be falling off, but he could still playaction. Not once did they do that in OT.

The Jets Achilles' heal is their coaching. Their coaching has lost 2 games for the players this year. Let's hope that doesn't happen again PLUS let's hope the coaching staff actually wins a game for them this year.

i think if we incorporate neon leon into the offense a little more it would give us chances to score because beside him we dont really have a game changing playmaker on offense.

and also when you have a quaterback that arguably has the best arm in the game you should probably throw passes deeper than 20 yards on the raiders. they shouldnt be losing to teams like the raiders these are games we should be dominating. the defense came up huge in OT giving us 3 chances to win the game and we dont take advantage of any of them

i can care less about press conferences.

Coors Light Guy1: Coach, Coach, how was your barbecue?

Mangini: Well, some aspects went well, but there are things to be improved upon.

Coors Light Guy2: Coach, how about the ice cold coors light?

Mangini: Obiviously that was one facet where I think we did well.

Coors Light Guy1: I heard there was an incident with drinking too much Coors Light?

Mangini: I think that's everyone's responsibility, we couldn't stop them from driving.

Coors Light Guy3: Now that it's over, I heard there's a big mess... What's next.

Mangini: We'll start off with a little housekeeping.

BORING... we need better press conferences. :character42:

What bothered the heck out of me was in yesterday's paper Mangini was quoted as saying he was happy with the offense's approach in overtime.

It is one thing to be emotionless (the idea is that you don't want people to panic so the HC is the steadying influence), but there is another thing to have a disconnect to reality.

What's troubling is that this is not the first time we've seen this. We saw this with the personnel front and how they mismanaged going into 2007 with Vilma & DRob and then had to sell low on both players this past offseason. Mangini misjudged the talent on the team last year and Mangini seems to have misjudged what his team can and cannot do this year.

We have the idiot Cimini writing today that Favre's arm may be hurting for the reason why the Jets didn't challenge the defense in OT with them showing 8 in the box. Heck, why don't question whether it was simply bad coaching. Favre's arm could be falling off, but he could still playaction. Not once did they do that in OT.

The Jets Achilles' heal is their coaching. Their coaching has lost 2 games for the players this year. Let's hope that doesn't happen again PLUS let's hope the coaching staff actually wins a game for them this year.

OK. I'll disagree with you here. Granted, these are matters of perception and opinion. Here's another take. The disposal of DRob and Vilma has nothing to do with whether or not they are good players. In the 3-4, they suck. In the 4-3, one sucks. It's not a question of "misjudging" the talent. JVil simply can't play 3-4 ILB. If he does well in NO this year, more power to him but it's not because the Jets didn't know what they had.

We can go on and on about play-calling but I will argue that the coaching here did not lose this game. The defense held the Raiders to 13 points in regulation and that included a FG after Leon's muff at the 16 yard line. The offense threw the ball 38 times and ran for over 7 yards a carry. There was no pass/run disconnect. Favre had little time to throw as the offensive line didn't block nearly as well as for the running game.

While everyone is ready to launch with their salvos of anti-coaching staff, I am going to give an example of something that was impressive. Favre throws his second pick in regulation. The Jets held them and got the ball back with enough time to drive the field. This was with less than 2:30 to go. THAT was impressive.

The bottom line for me is this (and it may be different than for you): The coaching staff called a game that gave the players on this team multiple opportunities to make big plays and they did not. Conversely, the players (not the coaches) turned the ball over three times while forcing none. Was Chris Baker open in OT? How about Keller? Was it the coaches' fault or Favre's fault?

The coaching staff did not lose this game. NFL players are expected to execute and these guys did not. They had chances to win this game and didn't come up with the plays. On another note, can we please dispense with this "Throw the ball down the field Schotty" whining? When a pass play is designed, it's not as though all five eligible receivers run five yard routes. There are deep options on most plays. The receiver may not have gotten open. The QB may have not seen him or not have had the time to throw.

Just a thought...you may disagree.

Glad I'm not the only one who couldn't believe that. I was literally screaming at the ****ing TV for them to at least try it. Play action would likely have been wide open the way Thomas Jones was running on them.

Archived