If no playoffs this year do we say No thanks Brett and draft a stud QB?

SouthernJet

People seriously need to lay off of the Ratliff love. I was excited about what he showed in preseason but he's still done absolutely nothing to show he'll be a franchise QB.

thats what they said about trent edwards. i think if ratliff gets a shot when favre retires he will have an edwards type impact. then the afceast will have 2 young studs playing QB.

If we're lucky Brett will end up costing us a 2nd and not a 1st so we still hopefully have one to spend - but taking a 1st round QB is such a crapshoot the real question is do we gamble the pick.

no! then we may not have a pick until round 3. 1st round we should get secondary help or the top rated WR. IMO.

let ratliff and clemens battle it out in training camp.

I was thinking the same thing.

Chase Daniel, Colt McCoy and Tim Tebow don't excite me.

Is their anyone at a smaller school that might have potential?

Best bet is for Stafford to come out.

And if that happens, we better start losing to get to him.

I'd give up three #1's for Carson Palmer. You kidding me? After Brady, Manning and Brees, he's the best out there.

Don't worry, the Bengals are so inept I'm SURE we can get him for a lot less. I bet if we just gave them Clemens and a 2nd rounder they'd gladly trade him to us. They are idiots.

Plus he'll be coming off surgery anyway so he will be a risk.

I for one don't see why everyone is so against drafting a QB and starting him. If you pick the right guy he'll do fine. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco look fine to me. Jay Cutler's in his third year and they've had more positives than negatives. And of course there's Ben.

Look, we're already struggling, what the hell is the difference with a young QB? It's not like it even matters anyway, we coach all our players to play like scared rookies.

We need to think about this..Do we set franchise back another year? Brett will not be here in 2010 and I dont think any QB on roster right now is a capable bonafide NFL Top 15 QB of future...

Absolutely we draft or aquire a QB.

I'm willing to bet Brett is "one and done".

Clemens is a bust thus far. Unless something very seriously changes, no thanks on him.

Ratliff? I'd be willing to let him compete in Camp 2009. But he sure as hell better have some legitimate competition.

I try hard not to think about next year yet. Although another game like the Rai-DOH's and what choice will we have?

I don't like the idea of drafting QB's in the first round. Again, for every Peyton Manning there are four Ryan Leafs.

How many times do you really pick up a quality QB through anything BUT the first round?

Let's say a good QB is a 10 year starter. He comes out of college at 22 or 23, sits on the bench two years, becomes a starter at 25 and is usually done at 35. A twelve year carrer.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Let's say the bottom seven are lousy and are going to lose their jobs next year. That leaves 25 teams who have reasonably satisfying play at QB.

If quality starters last 10 years starting, that means on an average year you will have between two and three QB's come into the league who will be 10 year starters. That's it-for each rookie crop, only two or three quality starters.

How many of those come from the second round or lower? A few, sure. Romo is an undrafted free agent. Brees was the first player chosen on the second round and was discussed as a first round pick all through his senior year. But most of the good ones were first rounders.

There aren't enough good QBs coming out each year that you can afford to muck around with second rounders and lower. If you see a guy who you think has it, grab him and grab him quick. He's going to run your team for ten years, you can't afford to get cute and lose him to someone else.

How many times do you really pick up a quality QB through anything BUT the first round?

Let's say a good QB is a 10 year starter. He comes out of college at 22 or 23, sits on the bench two years, becomes a starter at 25 and is usually done at 35. A twelve year carrer.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Let's say the bottom seven are lousy and are going to lose their jobs next year. That leaves 25 teams who have reasonably satisfying play at QB.

If quality starters last 10 years starting, that means on an average year you will have between two and three QB's come into the league who will be 10 year starters. That's it-for each rookie crop, only two or three quality starters.

How many of those come from the second round or lower? A few, sure. Romo is an undrafted free agent. Brees was the first player chosen on the second round and was discussed as a first round pick all through his senior year. but most of the good ones were first rounders.

There aren't enough good QBs coming out each year that you can afford to muck around with second rounders and lower. If you see a guy who you think has it, grab him and grab him quick. He's going to run your team for ten years, you can't afford to get cute and lose him to someone else.

Have to agree here. It's not enough to say for every Peyton Manning there are 4 Ryan leafs. The reason why the first round has such a high bust rate is because there is high demand for QBs every year and if they don't invest first rounders in them they'll get snatched up by other teams. So by nature the first round has more QBs taken than any other round.

If you feel strongly enough about a QB and think he's the goods then don't dick around and take him in the 1st. Gems 2nd round or later aren't something you should bank on. Good QBs are few and far between to start with.

weren't you on the Clemens love truck last season? What happened with that!

I was really high on Clemens until I saw the Jets were keeping keeping Penny heading into training camp, at that point I became concerned. I haven't given up on him yet though, as 124 said 6-7 games don't make a career. I was never too excited about KC to the point where I was convinced he was the franchise QB, just like I'm not getting too excited over Ratliff.

thats what they said about trent edwards. i think if ratliff gets a shot when favre retires he will have an edwards type impact. then the afceast will have 2 young studs playing QB.

WTF are you talking about Trent Edwards? When he showed promise it was actually in a REGULAR season game, there's quite a difference.

Archived