Steroid Bust in the NFL - per ESPN

Midget Love 20

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3661845

A number of NFL players -- including Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints -- have tested positive under the NFL's steroid policy as a result of taking water pills to lose weight, according to a report from Fox 31-Denver reporter Josina Anderson.

5470.jpg McAllister

5543.jpg Smith

Anderson's report cited "a rash of positive tests." The number is more than 10 and may exceed 15, two sources have told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Attorney David Cornwell told Mortensen he has been retained by "a number of players" to represent them in the NFL appeals process, but Cornwell wouldn't say who those players were or the exact number who have retained his legal services.

Smith's listed agent, Joel Segal, was not immediately available to comment, according to Fox 31-Denver. A representative for McAllister's agent, Jim Steiner, said the agent would call that station back.

Under the NFL's steroid policy, a player's first positive test results in a four-game suspension.

According to Anderson's report, McAllister and Smith are part of a group that tested positive for a diuretic known as Bumetanide. Others tested positive for a different substance.

"Most of them tested positive for Bumetanide," said the league source, according to Fox 31-Denver. "The last few tested positive for another substance that works similarly."

A source told Fox 31-Denver that Bumetanide "can also mask the use of other drugs or steroids."

Bumetanide is a drug belonging to a group of medicines called loop diuretics or "water pills." Its uses include the treatment of fluid retention and swelling caused by medical conditions such as congestive heart failure, liver disease, and kidney disease, Fox 31-Denver reported.

Wonder who could be on that list besides these two..

Does that mean I should cut McAllister?

I'm in the same boat too. The a**hole I'm tied for 1st with in my fantasy league (Lawngnome) has had both Bush and Parker hit injury, and I'm at the point of just being a total c*ck block and picking up Pierre Thomas so he doesn't have a starting RB in his lineup.

Sorry Bri haha

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3661845

A number of NFL players -- including Deuce McAllister and Will Smith of the New Orleans Saints -- have tested positive under the NFL's steroid policy as a result of taking water pills to lose weight, according to a report from Fox 31-Denver reporter Josina Anderson.

McAllister

Smith

Anderson's report cited "a rash of positive tests." The number is more than 10 and may exceed 15, two sources have told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

Attorney David Cornwell told Mortensen he has been retained by "a number of players" to represent them in the NFL appeals process, but Cornwell wouldn't say who those players were or the exact number who have retained his legal services.

Smith's listed agent, Joel Segal, was not immediately available to comment, according to Fox 31-Denver. A representative for McAllister's agent, Jim Steiner, said the agent would call that station back.

Under the NFL's steroid policy, a player's first positive test results in a four-game suspension.

According to Anderson's report, McAllister and Smith are part of a group that tested positive for a diuretic known as Bumetanide. Others tested positive for a different substance.

"Most of them tested positive for Bumetanide," said the league source, according to Fox 31-Denver. "The last few tested positive for another substance that works similarly."

A source told Fox 31-Denver that Bumetanide "can also mask the use of other drugs or steroids."

Bumetanide is a drug belonging to a group of medicines called loop diuretics or "water pills." Its uses include the treatment of fluid retention and swelling caused by medical conditions such as congestive heart failure, liver disease, and kidney disease, Fox 31-Denver reported.

Wonder who could be on that list besides these two..

It sucks if indeed they were just taking water pills.

Obviously on that list of 10-15 players, Smith & McAlister are the two biggest names so I wouldn't worry or speculate a big name player coming out.

That theory would make me feel a lot better if Favre weren't our only big name player.

I was confused by the thread title. I thought there were going to be arrests. This is just typical league bull****. Seems odd all these guys would get caught at once. I thought that the only reason Chatman got busted for this was because he already had a fail. Are these guys all first timers?

Edited by #27TheDominator

The way I heard it is that specific drug is one that at the start of the season

the players are told that it is a banned substance. In fact its been on the list for a

number of years. I don't see how they can appeal it and get away with it.

Apparently its used to control weight but can be used to mask steroids.

I certainly hope that Kris Jenkins isn;t involved in this.

What I don't get, is that this pill caused players to retain water? How does that enhance athletic performance? Wouldn't that lead to being bloated and slowing one down?:confused:

nevermind, read it wrong

Edited by Gas2No99

What I don't get, is that this pill caused players to retain water? How does that enhance athletic performance? Wouldn't that lead to being bloated and slowing one down?:confused:

nevermind, read it wrong

It makes it much more difficult to detect steroids and the like.