Good News for Jersey Shore Residents

mudcat21

N.J. could land Jets with practice site

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

By SCOTT FALLON

STAFF WRITER

The New York Jets would move their headquarters and practice facilities to unused land at Monmouth Park racetrack under a plan outlined Monday by acting Governor Codey.

The two sides have been talking about the move from the team's longtime Long Island base for three weeks, and Codey said he hopes to work out a deal this fall.

News of the negotiations comes just a week after the Jets submitted a plan to build a 90,000-seat stadium in the Meadowlands that the team would share with the New York Giants.

"If, in fact, they want to be partners in the stadium, it makes all the sense that they should practice here," Codey said in an interview. "It would be a great situation for all involved."

Codey said he was negotiating finances for the deal, and it was unclear whether the state, the team or both would pay for building a practice field, indoor training facilities, offices and living quarters.

But he said the state would receive $15 million in additional income taxes by having the players live in the state for the preseason and season.

National Football League players get paid for a 170-day season. Wherever they spend that time is where they pay state income taxes, said George Zoffinger, president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which owns Monmouth.

"Right now, they only pay [New Jersey] taxes on the 10 days they play at Giants Stadium," he said. "We would be in the position to pick up all of their training camp and practice days."

The Jets did not return several phone calls seeking comment.

The team has had its headquarters at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., since 1974, but has played at Giants Stadium since 1984.

About 15 acres of Oceanport's Monmouth Park would be needed for the facility, Zoffinger said.

Codey said the Jets would not interfere with horse racing.

"There's been excess acreage there for 30 years," he said. "There's plenty of room for both."

New Jersey wasn't in the Jets' plans a few months ago. The team was insistent on building a $2 billion stadium on Manhattan's West Side. But that plan fell apart in June, when New York State Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver and Senate Majority Leader Joseph Bruno declined to approve $300 million in state funding.

Meanwhile, the Giants and Codey reached an agreement two months earlier to build an $800 million stadium in the Meadowlands. Under that deal, the Giants would pay the entire cost of construction, manage the building and keep the profits. In addition, they would pay the state $6.3 million a year in rent as well as the cost to demolish Giants Stadium.

New Jersey officials have been lobbying the Jets to become partners with the Giants in the new stadium. The Sports Authority even reduced the team's annual rent at Giants Stadium by one-third last month, ending a two-year lawsuit.

The Jets submitted plans to the Giants last week to build the largest stadium in the NFL. It would be integrated with the Xanadu shopping and entertainment center being built around the Continental Arena at the Meadowlands.

"The Jets are cooperating with Xanadu because they know that Xanadu is key for the economic development in New Jersey," Zoffinger said. "You're making the experience great for the fan. They are anxious to be good partners."

Pat Hanlon, a Giants spokes-man, would not comment on the possibility of a Jets wholesale move into the state. "We've talked," he said. "We've been talking. And we'll continue to talk."

As for changing the Jets' name now that they may sever all ties to New York, Codey was ambivalent.

"I would love to see them just be called the Jets and drop the NY," Codey said. "But I want to take this one step at a time."

This has to happen if the Jets are going to stay and build a stadium in New Jersey. No more of the practice facilites being so far away from the team home field.

It would also be great for me about 15 to 20 minute ride from my house.

JETS and the PONY`S ..This is perfect if they keep the game practice times morning practice ends at about 10:30 plenty of time to grab a fourm and coffee before a 1:15 post time then watch a few races ,pre bet for the other races get back out for the 3:30 practice and at 5pm ish head back into the track to collect your winnings...perfect day...

This is all the propaganda coming from the NJ papers who have a serious agenda.

Woody has said more than a few times he would NEVER rename the team. Besides, it wouldn't just be a renaming for him, it would need NFL approval.

NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

BZ

He's not renaming the team.A state of the art dedicated facility beats the hell out off sharing things out at Hofstra.

Post time at Monmouth is around 12:30, so you can have a nice day of watching camp in the morning and play the ponies all afternoon.

Isn't south Jersey in Philly's jurisdiction?

Monmouth Park is as central as it gets!

Wow this would be close. I could go on lunch hour and could provide free camp updates everyday. That would be awesome.

This would totally suck. Queens or Long Island, nothing else is acceptable. Screw the effin Giants, the Jets need their own stadium in NY State. Every other effin team in every other city seems to get it done and NY can't. What a nightmare.

This would totally suck. Queens or Long Island, nothing else is acceptable. Screw the effin Giants, the Jets need their own stadium in NY State. Every other effin team in every other city seems to get it done and NY can't. What a nightmare.

I agree but with more ******* and less effing.

BZ

I can't wait for the FINAL decision.... but from my connections...be prepared Jersey boyz-n-girls..the JETS are coming to a REAL home now...where they are WANTED.....RENTAL or not they are WELCOMED!!!!

Hey the NY'er's don't want us so come to a REAL FAMILY HAUS...JERSEY :P:lol:

for all you NON faithful fans that claim to not root..YOUR LOSS... [-X

NJers don't get so excited they are also checking out Queens, and holding out against hope for Manhattan (as crazy as that sounds).

ask me they should build it in Staten Island rather than make it extremely convenient for 1/2 and a nightmare for the other half -

make it mildly inconvenient for everyone!

I can't wait for the FINAL decision.... but from my connections...be prepared Jersey boyz-n-girls..the JETS are coming to a REAL home now...where they are WANTED.....RENTAL or not they are WELCOMED!!!!

Hey the NY'er's don't want us so come to a REAL FAMILY HAUS...JERSEY :P:lol:

for all you NON faithful fans that claim to not root..YOUR LOSS... [-X

New Jersey has also wanted a cure for malaria and indoor plumbing, but they ain't getting that either, honey-cakes.

NJers don't get so excited they are also checking out Queens, and holding out against hope for Manhattan (as crazy as that sounds).

ask me they should build it in Staten Island rather than make it extremely convenient for 1/2 and a nightmare for the other half -

make it mildly inconvenient for everyone!

I hear you about not getting excited. It is far from over. I live in NJ but here was my order of preference:

1. West Side Stadium. A real home for the NY Jets.

2. NJ. Stay where you are, just move the training facilities so the players don't have to commute on game days.

Queens, Staten Island, nah I will pass. Things are okay now...good tailgating, good crowds etc. If you can't get the West Side just improve on the current location. (And hopefully keep the PSL's reasonable along the way...no likely I know).

The ideal was to have our own stadium anywhere as far I am concerned- I would have gone to the games

Jersey and sharing with the Giants as equal partners is the next best thing to have a brand new stadium. And what is wrong with Jersey -we have the highest property taxes in the country and auto insurance rates-give us a break and a team

Did this get posted here?

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/27180.htm

JETS EYE LANDING AT '64 WORLD'S FAIR SITE

By JEREMY OLSHAN

PHOTO Fountain of the Planets.

Email Archives

Print Reprint

August 18, 2005 -- In a desperate play to escape lifetime exile in New Jersey, the Jets are huddling with the city to hammer out plans to build a new stadium over the remains of a massive fountain from the 1964 World's Fair.

The six-acre Fountain of the Planets, which once exploded in glorious pyrotechnic displays, is now a murky pool littered with plastic bottles and trash.

With the West Side stadium plan dead, and a deal for a shared stadium with the Giants at New Jersey's Meadowlands weeks away, team sources say the fountain site probably is the last, best hope to put the New York back in New York Jets.

Team president Jay Cross accepted an invitation to meet with Queens Borough President Helen Marshall next week to discuss the plan.

As talk of staying in New Jersey intensifies, fans have besieged team officials with e-mails, pleading with them to find another way.

"It's conceivable a plan could be worked out in time," said Matthew Higgins, team vice president. "But it's going to require a great deal of urgency."

Located on the eastern end of Flushing Meadows, right off the Van Wyck Expressway, the proposed open-air stadium would be within field goal range of the Unisphere, Shea Stadium and the National Tennis Center.

The walk to parking lots and mass transit would be substantially longer than from Shea, and the Jets would once again be in the flight path of La Guardia's planes.

Marshall said she's willing to give the team the parkland, as long as the Jets agree to replace the lost acreage, which would likely include several new soccer fields as well as the fountain.

"She'd also expect new amenities to be added to the park, and others to be improved," spokesman Dan Andrews said.

Willets Point, the 47 acres of salvage yards near Shea

Big problem with Queens for tailgating-no open flames and no open containers of alcohol. Try it at Shea-and expect a summons and fine. Knock NJ all you want, but they at least do this right.And have fun early in the season when the Mets are home and/or the US Open is going on while people are trying to get abck in the City from the Hamptons.

I LIVED IN QUEENS WHEN THE JETS WERE PLAYING IN THE MEADOWLANDS. WORSE COMMUTE OF MY LIFE(2HRS BEFORE TAILGATE)SOME 8 YEARS AGO I MOVED MY FAMILY TO NJ(BEST MOVE EVER).IF THE JETS MOVE TO NJ(TRAINING FACILITY AND STADIUM)AND SHARE A STADIUM

I WILL BE ESTATIC.

Archived