Jason Whitlock destroys Herm Edwards

bfett81

Brilliant.

Put the blame for Chiefs’ last-minute blunder on Edwards

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. | If Chan Gailey’s explanation is accurate, it still doesn’t absolve Herm Edwards of blame for an embarrassingly asinine end-game strategy that gave one of the NFL’s all-time closers a final shot at finishing the Chiefs.

“It was me,” explained Gailey, Kansas City’s offensive coordinator, when I questioned him inside the locker room. “It was my call.”

Ahead by three points with 5 minutes, 20 seconds to play, the Chiefs abandoned the shotgun-no-huddle-spread attack that kept them competitive with the New York Jets throughout the afternoon and placed Tyler Thigpen under center and their fate in the hands of running back Kolby Smith.

Why?

“That’s what we thought was best to win the game,” Gailey replied.

Did Edwards instruct you to do it?

“My call!” Gailey barked.

Was there a conversation with Edwards about KC’s approach?

“He could’ve overruled me,” Gailey said.

By now, you know what happened. On a day when Smith finished with 15 yards in 11 carries, he did not pick up 10 and a first down on his final three totes. He gained 9 yards, and the Chiefs punted with a little more than 3 minutes left on the clock.

Jets quarterback Brett Favre took full advantage of the strategic error, marching New York 46 yards in six plays for the go-ahead touchdown in a 28-24 victory.

While it is indeed noble for Gailey to take responsibility for a blunder Chiefs fans are unlikely to forgive or forget, the self-sacrifice in no way provides cover for Edwards.

Edwards is inept at managing and assembling a credible coaching staff. And based on his postgame comments, he’s still unaware that KC’s late-game plan flew in direct opposition to common sense.

“We thought we could make a first down,” he said. “We were backed up, and we felt we could run the ball and take time off the clock.”

Again, why?

Larry Johnson was at home on punishment, grounded for conduct detrimental to nightclubs. A high-ankle sprain sidelined Jamaal Charles, the only KC runner who had been remotely effective against the Jets. The previous 54 minutes, 40 seconds, the Chiefs had picked up just two first downs on the ground.

Besides the three gift interceptions offered up by Favre, the Chiefs were in Sunday’s game because Gailey had freed Thigpen to run the college-style offense he ran at Coastal Carolina. Thigpen moved the Chiefs the way Chase Daniel moves the Missouri Tigers. Operating from the spread, Thigpen completed 25 of 36 passes for 280 yards and two TDs.

There was no reason to dump a scheme that carried a horrid football team to within 5 minutes of its second victory.

Was it the right thing to do?

“No comment,” Thigpen said.

Do you think it was smart to run three straight times?

“I didn’t see it,” linebacker Donnie Edwards said.

Why did the Chiefs go away from what was working?

“No comment,” Tony Gonzalez said.

I wake up every day determined to support Herm Edwards. He’s an extremely likable football coach. He’s friendly and honest with the news media. He’s generous with his time.

But on Sundays he brings out my inner-angry columnist. I can’t defend what his teams don’t, and that means I can’t defend him. He’s miscast as a head football coach. You have to multitask. You have to have a feel for the flow of the game.

Standing in the fire along the sideline is just too much for him. He can’t see the big picture from there. (Most head football coaches would be wise to coach from the press box. I’m praying that Joe Paterno never again leaves the press box.)

Chan Gailey put together a brilliant game plan. The no-huddle spread simplifies a defense, makes a quarterback’s reads a bit easier. The easy reads lighten the load on the offensive line; it doesn’t have to protect as long.

Thigpen looked like an NFL quarterback, and KC’s line appeared competent.

With 5 minutes left, the Chiefs were playing with house money. No one expected them to win. They were going to get credit for spooking the Jets. Why not let Thigpen go down winging the football? He earned the right to win and/or lose the football game.

Had he tossed a pick-six, no one would’ve blasted Edwards, Gailey or Thigpen. There was only one way to ruin Sunday’s game, and Edwards and Gailey found it.

Well, according to the “official” story, Gailey found the road to ruin, and Edwards wasn’t smart enough to redirect his assistant. I blame Edwards more than Gailey.

I want to see what he writes when the Chiefs don't play us and Thigpen looks like the worst QB in the NFL, which he is.

Thigpen looked really good yesterday. he threw the ball on a rope. this wasn't bad D making him look good either. you gotta give him credit for his play yesterday

Thigpen looked really good yesterday. he threw the ball on a rope. this wasn't bad D making him look good either. you gotta give him credit for his play yesterday

I agree 100%

If this was like last year when Trent Edwards made his first start and the Jets just basically sat back, missed tackles and let Edwards pick them apart the way he did that day then I would be totally furious with Sutton.

Gailey I thought did a real nice job going to a spread and when Thigpen had a guy open he hit him in stride and on the numbers.

When the Chiefs tied the game at 14 at halftime the Jets brought everyone on 3rd down and the RB blew by them on a draw. It was a great friggin call.

Why the went away from it late I have no idea. (Well I do, its acutally Herm Edwards and his conservative nature kicking in again).

If the Jets were playing anybody but the Chiefs they lose that game. It's a win though. Take it for what it is worth and go get ready for Buffalo.

Isn't it sad that we came this close to losing to such an awful team only because Herm Edwards made a bad call? If we were playing the same awful team with any other coach in the league (other than Mangini) we would have been sweating til the very end.

Lucky for the Jets, they were not playing some other coach in the league.

The Jets are one of the poorer coached teams in the NFL. Sad, but true.

Isn't it sad that we came this close to losing to such an awful team only because Herm Edwards made a bad call? If we were playing the same awful team with any other coach in the league (other than Mangini) we would have been sweating til the very end.

Huh?

Archived