John Abraham: 7 Sacks So Far This Year...

crashingjet

He had 7 sacks after like 4 games. LOL

Yeah he's been pretty great this season, but he always was a GREAT pass rusher when healthy. I never hated Abraham to the extent some Jet fans did, he was for many years our best defensive player. He's also much improved against the run this season from what I've seen.

People were saying pre-draft that they didn't want Gholston BECAUSE he had been compared by some to J-Abe. To be honest I'd have been delighted if Gholston could have had that kind of impact pass rushing, as it turns out Gholston is more the early Bryan Thomas.

I don't know how much you have seen him, but he is doing what he has always done. He is still weak against the run.

Even when he was with the Jets I always thought he was very inconsistent. The idea that he is a monster when healthy just isn't true. He has always had multi sack games against weak teams, and gone invisible in big games.

This year of his 7 sacks 3 are against Detroit, and two against KC. Other five games, 2 sacks.

Glad he is gone.

Who cares, the JETS are in the top 5 of all the defensive categories without our #6 pick aka the BUST. I think we're doing pretty well. :)

Labeling Gholston a BUST just isnt fair considering Bob Sutton is our defensive coordinator.He should be looking for defensive schemes to get him involved with the defense.No way this guy is bust way too early for that label.

Labeling Gholston a BUST just isnt fair considering Bob Sutton is our defensive coordinator.He should be looking for defensive schemes to get him involved with the defense.No way this guy is bust way too early for that label.

Sutton has nothing to do with how stiffly Gholston plays. He's completely lost out there. Bob Sutton has nothing to do with mechanics; mechanics he shouldve had coming out of college. The guy is a complete BUST! As always I'll gladly eat crow if he does develop into the monster we wanted when he drafted him!

Sutton has nothing to do with how stiffly Gholston plays. He's completely lost out there. Bob Sutton has nothing to do with mechanics; mechanics he shouldve had coming out of college. The guy is a complete BUST! As always I'll gladly eat crow if he does develop into the monster we wanted when he drafted him!

Bob Sutton most certainly does have ALOT to do with how Gholston performs.If you had a clue about football.Every player on the field has a job to do or an assignment.If the coordinator is not applying that persons skill to the best possible situation then how is it the players fault.Do we line LC up in the backfield as a RB at the goal line and tell him to run for a TD.Gholston should be utilized as DE and as a standup OLB on certain defensive schemes or as a rover.

Bob Sutton most certainly does have ALOT to do with how Gholston performs.If you had a clue about football.Every player on the field has a job to do or an assignment.If the coordinator is not applying that persons skill to the best possible situation then how is it the players fault.Do we line LC up in the backfield as a RB at the goal line and tell him to run for a TD.Gholston should be utilized as DE and as a standup OLB on certain defensive schemes or as a rover.

You're right im completely clueless about football. Vernon Gholston is amazing! :bag:

Way too early for the B label IMO. I'll save this post for further evaluation. How do you like your bird cooked? :biggrin:

Way too early for the B label IMO. I'll save this post for further evaluation. How do you like your bird cooked? :biggrin:

I like it raw! Hey I have no problem admitting when Im wrong or hoggin down a plate full of crow, it just seems very bleek IMO. The kid is completely lost out there :(

He's better than Gholston.

John Abraham (5 yr. vet?) vs. Vernon Gholston (Should be a Senior, that's in College, 21 years old and brand new to football since sophomore year of high school, that's 16 years old)

incomparable.

Vernon Gholston will be better over his career than John Abraham and his self-serving-attitude ridden stint.

GO JETS!!!!!

I like it raw! Hey I have no problem admitting when Im wrong or hoggin down a plate full of crow, it just seems very bleek IMO. The kid is completely lost out there :(

Okay I think it's a balance of both sides. Because I do try and spot him immediately in pretty much all defensive plays (I'm a big fan, and yes I still am), and it seems that the only technique he uses to rush the passer is the bullrush. This technique, I don't think we need to go over this any further, but just won't cut it in the NFL. He does not, I'll say it again, have the tenacity to really run through someone to get to the ball and cause havoc, a la Lawrence Taylor. LT just didn't care for his body on every and any defensive play, he didn't know how to play otherwise. Right now you just don't see that same tenacity in Gholston, even down to his mannerisms, he looks so so wet behind the ears and young and not wanting to mess anything up. I need to see him like I saw him against Michigan.

Which in turn, brings me to my next point. Also on the very same plays that I see him in, for the majority I get the sense that Sutton has him just controlling a zone in the flats or somewhat in a line of scrimmage rover, and meant to push the pocket toward the real side of the pass rush. I know this, he is always, always ALWAYS DOUBLE-TEAMED. Go back and watch it. IMO Sutton needs to utilize him more, and now with David Harris viable to miss some time here, I think it's a grand time to mix Gholston in at the MLB...Now I'm going to go off on my thing, I think Sutton needs to get Gholston out moving in space for him to get used to the speed of the game, and the fact that he would be able to disguise pass-rush/coverage schemes would be a plus. I think it's time to get him involved, I really don't think we should coddle this kid anymore in terms of his involvement. I want to see him out there and I'd even like Sutton or Mangini personally talking to him EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE, they are never covering him at all on the sidelines. I guess I do know why, off the field of play, but still, he went #6.

Anyway, Gholston will be good, Harris, Pace, Gholston, Barton, Thomas, that's a good set of MLB/OLB's now MIX THEM UP SUTTON & BLITZZZZ!!!!!

Archived