****The official Halloween edition of post of the week****

POTW Bot

Topic: Angry favre claims he did not hurt Packers- NY Post

He should be pissed. It's hard to believe that Favre would stay on the phone for 90 minutes, let alone with Millen and the Lions inept coaching staff.

Heck, if he wanted to talk to an inept coaching staff, all he has to do is walk down the hall.

The Nomination: "Why I laugh?" Sperm Edwards

Editor's Note:Great post by SMC. why don't you tell us what you really think about Mangini and his CS?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Topic: ****The OFFICIAL COLLEGE BBALL COUNTDOWN THREAD****

They heels lost 3 games last year, had the best player in CBB and didn't lose any starters and added an outstadning recruiting class. The heels this year are the biggest favoprite probably since UNLV in '90-'91. UNLV wound up losing so nothing is guaranteed but it would be a big shcok, just as it was w/ UNLV, if the heels don't win it all.

Am I missing something? I know the tiop of the BE is going to be great but who are these SEC powerhouses? and the ACC will be good this year, maybe not a tougher league top tp bottom. It doesn't have as many top teams as the BE this year but the bottom half of the BE is always a joke and the bottom of the ACC will certainly not be a joke.

UNC is far and away the bst team in the COUNTRY. if they played in the BE they'd be a lock to win the BE w/o a close 2nd team.

Duke would certainly have a chance, I wouldn't say they definitely would win but they are on the same level as most of the top BE teams. All teams way behind the Heels and to say 10 teams would finish ahead of duke is just comedy. Not many people hate duke more than I do but they are still a great program and there's no way 10 BE teams finish ahead of them. If Duke was in the BE they would battle for the BE title and at worst be in 2nd or 3rd but remember it's alot harder to go into cameron than it is any of those BE buildings so they'd have a huge edge.

He's talking about last year so obviously all the recent changes in the conferences are taken into account and our 10th place team beat your 2nd place team when Ga tech beat ND.

First off the ACC won 12 games against the BE including postseason. Where are these 6 wins? Tourney bound tams:

ACC wins:

UNC over Louisville

NC State over Villanova

Ga Tech over ND

BE wins:

WVU over duke

Villanova over Clem

where are the other wins? Any way you slice it the ACC comes out on top.

One thing we can count on though is no matter how highly rated the BE is they always crumble come Tourney time. Since 1990 only FIVE BE Teams have reached the Final Four. Since 1990 UNC and duke BY THEMSELVES have reached more than that(UNC 8, duke 7). Remember the '06 season when the BE was supposedly great and had 2 top seeds yet ZERO BE teams made the FF? Let's see BE teams do something in March/April before we crown them.

The Nomination: "Thats a bitch slappin" SouthernJet

Editor's Note: Eh, NC basketball?

:spock:

Topic: ****The Official JR128\Big Brother Thread****®©™[merged4X]

Only if the house was on fire and there was a gun hidden somewhere in the house. If a person finds the gun, they can use it to shoot everyone else and it also unlocks the door so that they're the only one that can get out. Of course, the fire will probably kill them all anyway, but that would make for some entertaining television :)

Now THAT is reality tv. For good measure, we can throw in some of the fans of the show. Nothing better than watching a bunch of retards of a stupid show getting roasted on live television. Let me go pitch that idea to the tv execs.

The Nomination: "Nice!" Lil Bit Special

Editor's Note:

Topic: The Sad Folks at the Chiefs Forum

OK nyjunc,

You and I have battled over this subject and it has gotten nasty. But I am done with that. You have your opinion of Herm, I have mine and truth be told neither opinion is ever going to change. HOWEVER, I do feel the need to try (peacefully) to refute two of your main arguements as to why you feel Herm is a good HC.

Essentially, your posts have mentioned 2 things to defend herm when people argue against him. 1) That he did not take over a playoff calibar team in 2001 and 2) that his making the playoffs 3 years validates his being a good coach. Let me start with a few statements of fact....

Fact- In 1997, Tuna took over the team but still maintained the core of the 1996 team that went 1-15 (Keyshwan, Chrebet, the rebuilt OL, Lewis, Jones, Glenn, Green). He added more parts iof his own (Cox, pepper) and went 9-7. The team missed the playoffs because of two plays in the last game of the year...both of whihc were Tunas fault (the Leon Johnson int and the killer Lucas pick).

Fact- The 1998 team (wiht additions of Vinny, mawae and Martin) won 12 games, had the 2 seed and made the AFC title game.

Fact- In 1999, a year we were favorites for the SB, we lost our starting QB in week 1 yet still went 8-8 with the likes of Rick MIrer and ray Lucas at the healm (By contrast how did herms teams fare when they lost their statting QBs)?

Fact- In 2000, the team (with the same core) added FOUR #1 picks AND Lav Coles and was 9-4 before losing in Oakland and to Detroit (in a monsoon after Hall missed a chip shot ath the end) setting up a week 17 do or die v the team that eventually won the SB and had one of the best Ds of all time. We had a 14-12 lead and were on the verge of a late 1st half TD when Vinny threw a KILLER pick that was retuend for a TD and we never recovered, lost and missed the playoffs.

Why do I mention all this? To refute your two arguement...

As to the first, evven though they missed the playoffs, its not as if the team was 5-11 before Herm got there. the team that Herm took over in 2001 was essentailly the SAME team that went to the AFC title game. The same team that finshed 8-8 with no real QB. The same team that nearyl knocked off the evetual champs in 2000. The same team that had not had a sub 500 season in 4 straight years...a feat NEVER accomplised prior by ANY Jets team. In fact, some could argue it was MORE talented since they had the #1s from 2000 now as vets. The core of the team that Herm took over was ABSOLUTELY a playoff calibar team. No, they didnt "make" the playoffs in those years but it was the same core that was 30 minutes from the Super Bowl AND had added even MORE talent.

As to the second arguement you make, I again say you need to look beyond the obvious. Both the 1997 and 2000 teams were "breaks" away from being in the playoffs. Just as Herm "got the breaks" in 2001 (Halls 53 yard prayer) and 2002 (Miami's improbably collapse), the 1997 team and 2000 team didnt. If hall makes the 20 yard chip shot in 2000, Groh makes the playoffs. If Tuna doesnt have 2 guys who had 10 career throws between them tossing the ball in 97, THAT team makes the playoffs. My point is, is not as if Herm blasted his way into the playoffs. The 2001 team was a 6 seed, the 2002 team was a 3 seed only because the "won" the divison with a 9-7 record and the 2004 team backed in as a 5 seed. So the idea that Herm making the playoffs was some terrific accomplaishment and proves he was a good coach to me is a factually flawed arguement.

Look, I think the teams won in spite of Herm all those years. I think any non horrid coach could have taken those very talented teams to the playoffs and I think any good coach would have taken them further then Herm did. He was awful wiht x and o, awful on game day, and was an overrated motivator as evidenced by his teams annual slkpw starts, only playing well when their backs were gaianst it, and some horrid late season losses in HUGE games to bad teams (see Buffalo 2001 and Chicago 2002). And I wont even get into his time management, excuse making, tossing of others under the bus and his handling of both young and older players.

You like to also compare Herm to mangini or coaches of the Jets past. Truth is, thats irrelevant. JJust because the team was awful in the late 80s to the mid 90s doesnt make Herm a good coach. Joe Walton made the playoffs 2 of his first 4 years...and that was when there was no 6 seed. Mangini may very well suck...but unlike herm, he took over an ACTUAL rebuild in Herms wake. BL, Herm was lucky enugh to take over a playoff ready team built by Tuna. He rode that teams core for 5 years and managed to sneak ino the playoffs a few times with limited resukts. And in the seasons when things didnt break his way, the team was NON competitive (see 2003 and 2005). Then, once it became clear that the talent was waning and there was no one left to toss under the bus and hed have to rebuild on his own...he lied and then bolted. Sorry, IMO that resume does not make him a good coach.

So thats my refutation for your two main arguements to defend Herm. I have tried to be polite and expect the same from you. IN the end, I know I am not changing your mind, just as you are not going to change mine (or the other 99% of the boards). But if the crux of your arguement (as it seems to be) is that Herm did not take over a very good team and that his making the playoffs more then past coaches means he was a goood coach, then I'm sorry but that is a factually flawed argument and you will have to come up wioht some better, factual and more specific support for the guy if you want to convince anyone.

And PLEASE do not retort with "he made it and they did not, end of story". I spent a lot of time on this post and dont want to hear that. Like I said, I am trying to be polite and respectfully disagree with your position on this issue because I think, if you stop and think about it clearly, you will see by the above that the basis for your arguement to support herm is not very strong.

The Nomination: "Great post by Gold" BP

Editor's Note:

Topic: Pics of my weiner (NSFW)

Ok, I know I might get banned for showing off my 5 inch pink rod. But I feel the sudden urge to go bare.

***WARNING: PICS OF MY WEINER BELOW***

You've been warned.

Now witness my wiener and all its glory........

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

The Nomination: "Although small, it is still POTW worthy.

A little mustard would have been nice too." kleck073

Editor's Note:

Topic: sweet caroline?????

I think it's be hilarious if we played some songs from SouthernJet and Afos's era. Here's the top charts of the times:

Me make fire, burn toe-Ooka Ookka and the stone clackers

This rock not taste good-The Muk muks

My new wheel run over momma-Clicks McClacks

Sheba head so hard my club no work-Artist Unknown

The Nomination: "LOL" StillerPaul

Editor's Note:

Archived