Mayo: NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month

GodWearsAGrayHoodie

Patriots linebacker Jerod Mayo has been named the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Month.

Mayo, a first-round selection (No. 10 overall) from Tennessee, led the team with 24 tackles in the month as the Patriots posted a 3-1 (.750) record in October.

Overall, Mayo has started all seven games at inside linebacker. The rookie leads the team with 55 tackles and has also added one fumble recovery. Mayo posted his best performance of the month in his first appearance on Monday Night Football against Denver (Oct. 20), registering 11 tackles.

Mayo is the first Patriots player to earn Rookie of the Month honors since wide receiver Deion Branch in September of 2002, and he is the first New England player to win Defensive Rookie of the Month since the league started the award in 1996.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2008/10/mayo_nfl_defens.html

Vernon Gholston was robbed. How could he not have gotten it?

Vernon Gholston was robbed. How could he not have gotten it?

Simple, the Pats HAVE to play him since they have no one else at ILB who's any good. Fortunately for the Jets, their OLB's are playing at a high level so they don't have to play him just to play him.

Simple, the Pats HAVE to play him since they have no one else at ILB who's any good. Fortunately for the Jets, their OLB's are playing at a high level so they don't have to play him just to play him.

Mayo is good. Very fast to the ball. And well coached, as all the Patriots are, to hit hard and tackle well. Had the Jets had the opportunity to trade down from six this is exactly the guy I'd have wanted for them to pair on the inside with Harris. Barton's playing well but I have always been among those here who worried that Gholston was a w/o warrior and that the position switch would significantly add to the risk of drafting him #6.

I was also in the Rashard Mendenhall camp, FWIW.

Good for him and the Pats. They needed a young guy to help out the LB corps. He's a good steady guy in the middle for them. Gholston will hopefully be one of many guys who excel at OLB after a year or two adjusting from a DE position in college. I never compared the two as they are two different types of players/investments.

Archived