Mangini to Favre...take fewer chances

NIGHT STALKER

Considering Eric Mangini's understated coaching style, it's probably a safe bet he didn't deliver a "stop-throwing-interceptions" rant Tuesday in his weekly office chat with Brett Favre. But they did discuss the problem, and Mangini, using a blackjack analogy, let his gambling quarterback know he shouldn't go for broke on every pass. "You talk through it. You just stress, don't hit on 20, you know what I mean?" Mangini said Wednesday. "Like, sometimes, it's OK to stay and see what the dealer has." When the line was relayed to Favre, he laughed. "Believe it or not, I'm not a gambler," he said, obviously referring to card games. "I know it sounds crazy."

New York Daily News

Liuek Favre has never received this message before in his life, or has it dterred him.

If the Jets are surprised that Favre is a turnover machine, I would have to say they really didn't do their homework on him.

It is not like a little Mangini devil is going to appear on his shoulder and whisper 'Don't do it, don't do it" as he sits in the pocket and has his delusions of God QB as he is in his wind up.

It just won't happen.

Mangini must have skimmed past that line in Lorde Favre's contract.

13. Thou' shalt never question the decision making of your Lord Bwett Favre or thou' shalt be strucketh down with a patented Lord Favre frozen rope to the faceth.

Favre is uncoachable. Jets either should have stuck with Pennington OR let Favre play Favreball. Favreball involves lots of TDs and lots of Ints. Trying to get Farve to work with a Mangini system is recipe for disaster.

the big question is what is the mangini system? you have til noon to respond

Favre is uncoachable. Jets either should have stuck with Pennington OR let Favre play Favreball. Favreball involves lots of TDs and lots of Ints. Trying to get Farve to work with a Mangini system is recipe for disaster.

McCarthy is every bit as conservative as Mangini and he did ok there..

Liuek Favre has never received this message before in his life, or has it dterred him.

If the Jets are surprised that Favre is a turnover machine, I would have to say they really didn't do their homework on him.

It is not like a little Mangini devil is going to appear on his shoulder and whisper 'Don't do it, don't do it" as he sits in the pocket and has his delusions of God QB as he is in his wind up.

It just won't happen.

So what should Mangini do? Not talk to him?

Favre will throw interceptions no doubt. What he needs to change is going for broke on 1st and 2nd down. If it is 3rd and they want to throw it deep downfield that is smart, if it is picked off no big deal.

But Favre has to calm down and avoid games like he had the last time. 1st and 10, 2nd and 7, red zone interceptions, not good.

It just won't happen.

It worked with Vinny Testicles. The Titans are gambling that it works with Collins, but at least he doesn't have to throw too much.

It just won't happen.

I guess if you're Mangini, you kind of HAD to have that talk. Still, it's funny to think that decades after he started playing, this young coach talks to Brett about blackjack and so Brett all of the sudden stops being a pick machine.

Archived