Mangini did good this week

MagicBizkit87

Off the top of my head the only real questionable move he made today was accepting the penalty and giving the Bills another shot. I don't even have a problem with that though cause its worth the chance to try and push them out of FG range and you gotta have faith that your D can at least stop them on 3rd and 16.

I thought that the team did a lot of things to get an edge that were a result of coaching:

1) Getting the Bills into a "too many men" situation and then challenging it.

2) Leon standing with a foot out to touch the kickoff and get it at the forty. That made a **** situation into gold.

3) The Elam return really was set up nicely by tricking Edwards into thinking he had a different coverage than he did.

Just some thoughts. I thought that for some periods of time, Schottenheimer did get into a groove with the playcalling even though he wasn't all perfect.

Off the top of my head the only real questionable move he made today was accepting the penalty and giving the Bills another shot. I don't even have a problem with that though cause its worth the chance to try and push them out of FG range and you gotta have faith that your D can at least stop them on 3rd and 16.

Yeah, and even though he accepted the penalty to make it 3rd and 16, there is no doubt the Bills should have been stopped there, no exceptions. So really, that wasn't really a mistake too, because I think I would've done the same exact thing.

I thought that the team did a lot of things to get an edge that were a result of coaching:

1) Getting the Bills into a "too many men" situation and then challenging it.

2) Leon standing with a foot out to touch the kickoff and get it at the forty. That made a **** situation into gold.

3) The Elam return really was set up nicely by tricking Edwards into thinking he had a different coverage than he did.

Just some thoughts. I thought that for some periods of time, Schottenheimer did get into a groove with the playcalling even though he wasn't all perfect.

Yeah, I highly doubt someone like Herman Edwards would have saw the too many men on the field call.

That was genius by Mangini.

He did a great job today.

it was a confidence booster for the defense. he showed the defense that he trusts them to make a play and they rewarded him great gameplaning and decision making by mangini

Not to be a debbie downer, but I still didn't like much of what we did. It seemed we again barely used play action and barely ran until it was clock killing time. Also on defense we never really figured out how to defend the screen, Buffalo just kind of stopped throwing it..

I think there's improvements that can be made, remember we were exceedingly fortunate to be up at all going into the half after the way Buff beat our butts up and down the field..

This along with the playcalling when we had the ball at about the 15 ( screens to Cotch) bothered me as well, otherwise it was a solid game.

Not to be a debbie downer, but I still didn't like much of what we did. It seemed we again barely used play action and barely ran until it was clock killing time. Also on defense we never really figured out how to defend the screen, Buffalo just kind of stopped throwing it..

I think there's improvements that can be made, remember we were exceedingly fortunate to be up at all going into the half after the way Buff beat our butts up and down the field..

CTM, I am going to disagree here. I thought that after the first drive, there was more than one developing screen pass to the offense's left and one middle screen that were gobbled up by a heads-up defender so quickly that Edwards went somewhere else. It's the one thing I really noticed watching the first half over.

The whole coaching staff had a great game.

They just had Elam interviewed, it was something that was seen on film, and he baited him based on a read they had from the video room.

Leon's play on the kickoff was a great play, but based on great coaching. I know many of us on this board take ourselves to be our own football geniuses and knowing the ins and outs of the rules, but that play was smart and a small thing taught by a great special team coach.

The play calling on that last drive was perfect. 8 minutes and 42 seconds killed that game. 14 plays and every one of them stayed in bounds and kept the clock running.

Yes, you nick Mangini on his play call on the penalty, but you can't not expect your team to stop the team on 3rd and 16. It ended up being a 10 point swing (3 points for Buffalo lost and 7 points gained on the TD). I know it was a fortunate result, but it happened because of good preparation.

This along with the playcalling when we had the ball at about the 15 ( screens to Cotch) bothered me as well, otherwise it was a solid game.

It's a great call. The screen gives our guy a chance for a first down (or a better chance than a draw or inside handoff), and yet is a easy catch to keep the clock running which was the point.

It gave us the best chance for a 1st down while being safe.

that was a good call. it was an easy throw that took a lot of time of the clock without turning the ball over

Not good calls in my book, first pass was flipped out in traffic. We went sideways on 2 plays from the 15 when we should be trying to score...If we wanted to take time off the clock and not turn the ball over why not run then....

CTM, I am going to disagree here. I thought that after the first drive, there was more than one developing screen pass to the offense's left and one middle screen that were gobbled up by a heads-up defender so quickly that Edwards went somewhere else. It's the one thing I really noticed watching the first half over.

Disagreements are what make for an active community. My memory is a bit different, but I could certainly be wrong...

We have a two score lead with hardly any time remaining, we also have the all time INT leader at QB who last week threw a pick 6 to let the Chiefs back in the game in a very similar situation.

What to do?

That was my take on it also. it seems to me that the CS is afraid to put the ball in Favre's hands in the red zone. I don't blame them.

The late pick six was horrible. A rookie

QB knows, considering the game situation, you don't throw that ball. Block head. Some one is going to come on now and say"With Favre, you get the good with the bad". Where's the good been?

With that said the Jets as a whole had an excellent game. The CS had a good game. The defense was excellent. 30 yards rushing? Great. Jenkins is a beast

Damn it, Chan...I swear, one of these weeks we'll be on the same page. The law of averages says it has to happen eventually. :)

This was by far the most satisfying win of the season for me--not just because it's a division win, and our first win over a quality opponent. The first half was a bit sloppy, but the Jets OWNED the second half. That tells me that they made adjustments and executed them, which we haven't yet seen this season. For the first time, the offense looked like it had a rhythm, and completely tore Buffalo's heart out on that last drive (which was a thing of beauty--that's why we spent all that money on the OL). Not to mention the defense came up huge when it needed to.

I still worry about screens too, that's an ongoing concern. There are other improvements that can be made, no doubt. But what's encouraging about this game is that we can already see some improvement--and today is the first time in the last 4 games when we can say that. Hopefully it's not a fluke and they keep it up...

Damn it, Chan...I swear, one of these weeks we'll be on the same page. The law of averages says it has to happen eventually. :)

This was by far the most satisfying win of the season for me--not just because it's a division win, and our first win over a quality opponent. The first half was a bit sloppy, but the Jets OWNED the second half. That tells me that they made adjustments and executed them, which we haven't yet seen this season. For the first time, the offense looked like it had a rhythm, and completely tore Buffalo's heart out on that last drive (which was a thing of beauty--that's why we spent all that money on the OL). Not to mention the defense came up huge when it needed to.

I still worry about screens too, that's an ongoing concern. There are other improvements that can be made, no doubt. But what's encouraging about this game is that we can already see some improvement--and today is the first time in the last 4 games when we can say that. Hopefully it's not a fluke and they keep it up...

Yea, I actually amended this position in another thread. I think the bad taste from the first half was skewing my perspective on the second...

This was one of the first times under Mangini where we came out and made good adjustments to turn the game around. Doesn't change the fact that we dodged a big bullet in the first half, or that I don't understand why we refuse to use play action, but overall they deserve kudos for the second half..

Yea, I actually amended this position in another thread. I think the bad taste from the first half was skewing my perspective on the second...

This was one of the first times under Mangini where we came out and made good adjustments to turn the game around. Doesn't change the fact that we dodged a big bullet in the first half, or that I don't understand why we refuse to use play action, but overall they deserve kudos for the second half..

I think maybe I'm the opposite--I was so impressed with the 2nd half adjustments that I kind of blocked out the shoddy 1st half, which had a definite "here we go again" feel to it.

Still, big ups to Mangini and Schotty for getting it together this week. Hopefully this is a sign that the team is coming together, and it'll continue as we go through the teeth of our schedule...

Archived