Rookie RB class of 2008 midseason stats

nycdan

At the halfway point:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

With Hightower's promotion that makes six pure starters (Chris Johnson, Forte, Slaton, Rice, Kevin Smith and Hightower), three guys splitting time but contributing big (Felix Jones, McFadden, Jonathon Stewart), and another 3 guys who might matter (Mendenhall, Green-Ellis, Jamaal Charles).

In a few years, over a third of the league could be starting a RB from this class. Insane.

Like the QB class of 1993 only even more dominant.

At the halfway point:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2008&seasonType=REG&experience=0&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go

With Hightower's promotion that makes six pure starters (Chris Johnson, Forte, Slaton, Rice, Kevin Smith and Hightower), three guys splitting time but contributing big (Felix Jones, McFadden, Jonathon Stewart), and another 3 guys who might matter (Mendenhall, Green-Ellis, Jamaal Charles).

In a few years, over a third of the league could be starting a RB from this class. Insane.

Like the QB class of 1993 only even more dominant.

Rice is not a pure starter. He played last week because McGahee was down.

Rice, Smith, & Johnson are not pure starters.

Jones, McFadden, and Mendehall are all injured.

Hightower has started 1 football game.

Stewart hasn't exactly looked like a stud thus far.

It's a little early to call all these guys "pure starters" & not all of them have done as well as others (to say the least). But it's only 8 games into their rookie seasons, and so far is still an impressive class. Particularly when you consider none of the 3 biggest draft-day names have really panned out yet.

It's a little early to call all these guys "pure starters" & not all of them have done as well as others (to say the least). But it's only 8 games into their rookie seasons, and so far is still an impressive class. Particularly when you consider none of the 3 biggest draft-day names have really panned out yet.

How many TD's does my boy have? i think 7!!

not bad for a kid not invited to combine after he rushes for 1800 yds at Richmond.

Rice is not a pure starter. He played last week because McGahee was down.

You're right. I missed that. He did do a heck of a job though.

Johnson is looking like the feature back in Tenn even though White will get the short-yard and goal-line carries and a decent amount of the work. 715 yards and 5 TDs at the midway point is nothing short of awesome.

Smith has been the primary ball-carrier in 4 of the past 5 weeks since the bye so I'm assuming he's the guy. Unfortunately running for the Lions won't make you look very good.

Fair enough on the starters. A few rebuttal thoughts.

Jones was averaging 8.9 yards per carry on 30 attempts before the injury, albeit behind what at that point looked like a very good OL. I feel comfortable saying he's a big-time contributer when healthy.

McFadden has been a bit more inconsistent but I also think there's a good chance he'll be a solid RB in the next few years. Can't say anything about Mendenhall yet but he's worth keeping an eye on for next year.

Good point though that the 'big 3' haven't been the biggest performers by far. Only Stewart has made some real noise but DeAngelo Williams is keeping him on the bench lately with some great play.

Archived