Our pass defense is still poor, imo.

Matt39

Granted, we forced turnovers against Buffalo...but still turnovers are a matter of luck as well.

We absolutely sucked against the pass in the first half- constantly letting the Bills convert on thrid down...what else is new.

This needs to be improved tremendously if we want to beat New England.

We were much improved Sunday though, when Jenkins is on the field we have a pass rush, the pocket will always collapse eventually when he's in there. It struggles when he's out.

I agree though that we have to cut out this underneath ****, teams are killing us with passes to the TE's and RB's and have been all year. Teams very rarely go deep downfield and get success against us and NEVER against Revis. We were getting pressure on Edwards though, which is a GOOD sign considering the Bills are GREAT in pass protection. I can't complain too much. The D gave up 10 points and added on another 10. I

Yeah, we did allright this game but I think its more because Buffalo is on a downturn. We still gave up a couple of big 3rd and long plays that should NEVER be given up. I kept saying all game, they could only beat us if they threw at us, cause running isn't going to work on us anymore (Thanks to Jenkins). I'm actually a little scared of this weeks game cause St. Louis can really throw the ball around. I hope some of you guys are right and we are finally getting better against the pass.

The problem with our pass defense is not our secondary, its our linebackers. How many times have we been beaten deep this year? Not many times if at all. Our linebacker simply cannot cover the underneath stuff.

The LB's are a problem. They are just to big. Great for the run defense, bad for the pass. I'll take that trade off. The one I won't take is Coleman. He is not an NFL DB, and has killed the Jets this year.

I don't know what is going with Miller, but he can't be worst then Coleman

Most of the blame has to fall on our linebackers, they are all too big and slow to guard tight ends. Lowery has played reasonably well and revis and rhodes are playing at pretty high levels.

I don't get it. There have been tons of teams that do much better against the pass which much less talent.

Yeah, we did allright this game but I think its more because Buffalo is on a downturn. We still gave up a couple of big 3rd and long plays that should NEVER be given up. I kept saying all game, they could only beat us if they threw at us, cause running isn't going to work on us anymore (Thanks to Jenkins). I'm actually a little scared of this weeks game cause St. Louis can really throw the ball around. I hope some of you guys are right and we are finally getting better against the pass.

i was thinking the opposite. In their win against the boys they ran the ball down their throats...3 TD's to jackson i think. Their passing game is weak because of a bad offensive line. I could see Ellis and Thomas posting big games in terms of sacks and QB pressures.

The LB's are a problem. They are just to big. Great for the run defense, bad for the pass. I'll take that trade off. The one I won't take is Coleman. He is not an NFL DB, and has killed the Jets this year.

I agree with your post, but Miller can be worse. In fact, if past performance is any indicator he probably has been worse.

Coleman cant stay on his feet let alone cover anybody

The problem with our pass defense is not our secondary, its our linebackers. How many times have we been beaten deep this year? Not many times if at all. Our linebacker simply cannot cover the underneath stuff.

Exactly. Bowens in coverage makes David Harris look like Derrick Brooks. And Barton isnt much better either.

So do we need Vilma sized LB's to have an effective pass D? If so, we've gone full circle with this thought process.

You don't necessarily need someone of Vilma's size to have an effective pass D. We should be fine with a solid coverage LB who can get some help overneath when caught in a mismatch. A solid tackler who can keep to his assignments should be fine--would stop those underneath screen plays that were killing us. We have a solid secondary with Rhodes and Revis, although the other side is a bit weak. Lowery's getting picked on and Coleman's not any better, it'll be interesting to see how he improves in relation to the rest of our D as the year goes on.

Elam belongs at the other safety spot over Smith, that much should be obvious by now. He's not too great himself, but a definite upgrade nonetheless. Our pass-rushing OLB's haven't been too impressive so far--hopefully Gholston can awaken and do something for us.

You don't necessarily need someone of Vilma's size to have an effective pass D. We should be fine with a solid coverage LB who can get some help overneath when caught in a mismatch. A solid tackler who can keep to his assignments should be fine--would stop those underneath screen plays that were killing us. We have a solid secondary with Rhodes and Revis, although the other side is a bit weak. Lowery's getting picked on and Coleman's not any better, it'll be interesting to see how he improves in relation to the rest of our D as the year goes on.

Elam belongs at the other safety spot over Smith, that much should be obvious by now. He's not too great himself, but a definite upgrade nonetheless. Our pass-rushing OLB's haven't been too impressive so far--hopefully Gholston can awaken and do something for us.

I agree with most of your post, except the part about The OLB's pass rush hasn't been to impressive. I believe we have 13 sacks from OLB's. That is almost half the entire total for the team last year. I'm impressed. Mostly because it isn't one guy, it's three of them. Lets teams choose there poison. If everyone stays healthy, the Jets don't need Gholson this season. Would be nice to get something out of him though.

Not holding my breath.

I agree with most of your post, except the part about The OLB's pass rush hasn't been to impressive. I believe we have 13 sacks from OLB's. That is almost half the entire total for the team last year. I'm impressed. Mostly because it isn't one guy, it's three of them. Lets teams choose there poison. If everyone stays healthy, the Jets don't need Gholson this season. Would be nice to get something out of him though.

Not holding my breath.

Many sacks, but not many hurries. They've been decent, but nothing to put them over the top. If our D Line wasn't so great they'd be getting exposed, but it's not a problem right now. Put that same linebacker corps on another team and you'll start seeing the problems. I wouldn't see it as bad at all if they were good at coverage, but right now they're decent at pass-rushing and absolutely piss-poor at coverage. Improve one or the other or our short to mid range pass defense is going to continue to get exposed.

Many sacks, but not many hurries. They've been decent, but nothing to put them over the top. If our D Line wasn't so great they'd be getting exposed, but it's not a problem right now. Put that same linebacker corps on another team and you'll start seeing the problems. I wouldn't see it as bad at all if they were good at coverage, but right now they're decent at pass-rushing and absolutely piss-poor at coverage. Improve one or the other or our short to mid range pass defense is going to continue to get exposed.

I disagree, that Buffalo game was one of the only games were Calvin wasn't living in the other teams backfield.

I've been VERY impressed with Pace this season, I think he's a beast. Thomas not so much.

I disagree, that Buffalo game was one of the only games were Calvin wasn't living in the other teams backfield.

I've been VERY impressed with Pace this season, I think he's a beast. Thomas not so much.

I've been impressed with Pace too, so I do suppose Thomas is the weak link (surprise, surprise!). He's holding us back, but he's the best we have. Improvement at his spot will result in a much better pass D with no detriment to our Run D. The rest are fine, I'm not advocating too many upgrades.

The problem is our ILB's can't cover...period. Harris was just plain awful and so has Bowens been as well. Barton should be covering in theory simply because he's faster than Harris yet it seems most of the time Harris is in covg on passing downs and Barton is rushing. You would think it would be the opposite.

Archived