Fireman Ed shiits on PSLs/Jets

SouthernJet

Fireman Ed calls Jets Gang Greed

BY Rich Cimini

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, November 4th 2008, 12:52 AM

alg_fans.jpg Appleton/News

Jets fan 'Fireman Ed' isn't a supporter of the Jets' decision to implement PSLs.

Fireman Ed is mad. M-A-D, Mad! Mad! Mad!

PSL SAGA PART I: AGONY OF THE SEAT

The Jets' most famous supporter, Ed Anzalone is appalled and disappointed that his beloved team is requiring most its fan base to purchase personal seat licenses. After months of holding his tongue, Anzalone, a season ticket holder since 1976, is ready to stand up and boo.

"I love the New York Jets, I love the green and white and I love the fans - I have nothing but passion for the fans and the team - but the organization has continued to drop the ball," Anzalone said.

PSL SAGA PART II: NEWS ANSWERS YOUR BURNING QUESTIONS

In a phone interview, which included a lengthy rant against owner Woody Johnson for his decision to co-own the new stadium with the Giants, Anzalone claimed the Jets are ripping off the common fan.

"This is pathetic," says Anzalone, who owns four seats in section 134, where the PSL would be $10,000 or $12,500 per seat. "I'm so twisted by the fact that they went with the Giants to begin with. Now you're going to have the (audacity) to charge your fans twice?"

PSL SAGA PART III: LONG-TIME GIANTS FAN PRICED OUT

Anzalone, a stadium icon known for leading the celebrated "J-E-T-S, Jets! Jets! Jets!" cheer, says he pays full price for his tickets.

But for how much longer?

"You won't see me in these seats (in the new stadium)," said Anzalone, 49, who retired last year from the city's fire department. "I don't know what's going to happen. Maybe I'll go upstairs. Maybe I'll fork over four grand for an end-zone seat. I love the Jets so much, maybe I'll get my tickets on Stub Hub.

"I just want to enjoy this year and next," he continued. "Maybe, with a little of God's luck, we'll win a championship. If that happens, I'm moving on, bro."

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, that should effectively end the argument as to whether Ed gets free crap from the Jets.

I'd bet my last dollar that the only reason Ed took so long to say anything was to see if he could get the Jets to waive the PSL's for him. Once the Jets said no he probably decided to come out and bash them. If they did give him the seats for free on the down low Ed would be telling everyone how great the PSL's are. The Jets realize they don't need Ed, now if only fans realize they don't need a bald headed monkey to tell them when to cheer then we'd be all set.

I'd bet my last dollar that the only reason Ed took so long to say anything was to see if he could get the Jets to waive the PSL's for him. Once the Jets said no he probably decided to come out and bash them. If they did give him the seats for free on the down low Ed would be telling everyone how great the PSL's are. The Jets realize they don't need Ed, now if only fans realize they don't need a bald headed monkey to tell them when to cheer then we'd be all set.

How could you or anyone else criticize Fireman Ed.Hes passionate about his team.Anyother team would be taking care of its #1 mascot.This guy runs the crowd.

But do they?

Isn't Ed the average fan?

What's remarkable is that Ed is now thought of as the face of Jets fans. And it's a fun thing, but it didn't start out that way. If any of us were so lucky, we'd probably embrace this status as he does. But there were 2 sets of fans in the upper deck of Shea who used to go back and forth doing the J E T S thing, and Ed wasn't part of it. Wouldn't go so far as to say he stole it, jsut he popularized it and made it his and rode the gravy train. Good for him.

Simply we're all pissed about PSLs. Ed's no different. That PSL-free upper deck is going to need a whole bunch more seats. Or many of us will be watching in HD at home.

What's remarkable is that Ed is now thought of as the face of Jets fans. And it's a fun thing, but it didn't start out that way. If any of us were so lucky, we'd probably embrace this status as he does. But there were 2 sets of fans in the upper deck of Shea who used to go back and forth doing the J E T S thing, and Ed wasn't part of it. Wouldn't go so far as to say he stole it, jsut he popularized it and made it his and rode the gravy train. Good for him.

Simply we're all pissed about PSLs. Ed's no different. That PSL-free upper deck is going to need a whole bunch more seats. Or many of us will be watching in HD at home.

I assume there will always be enough 'haves' to fill those seats,,It might get dicey though with the peanut galllery poor folk sitting in seats ABOVE the French aristocracy,,especially after a dozen beers...

pink202zd1.jpg

How could you or anyone else criticize Fireman Ed.Hes passionate about his team.Anyother team would be taking care of its #1 mascot.This guy runs the crowd.

But he's not a mascot, nor is he a Jets Employee.

The backlash of giving him a handout would be huge.

"Why should he get free seats while I still have to pay?" People listen to him for the chant, that makes him a better Jet fan than any of us? I don't think so. I like the guy, I have nothing against him, but unless the Jets have him under their employ, he it's not fair that he would get a free pass.

The ironic part of this Fireman Ed did promo commercials for the Jets to get a West Side Stadium- Ed don't you think there would have been some PSL's there?

You really think he thought that far ahead?

What really is disenfranchising me, is that the stadium experience, which is supposed to be a huge upgrade, is actually going to get worse.

I go to the games to watch the game. Giants Stadium has great sight-lines, no matter where you sit. Just going by my eye, it seems to me that the upper bowl, where many of us usually sit, appears to start (1st row) at about the same height as the last row in the current stadium.

I'm never going to a restaurant in the new stadium, I'm going to watch the game, and honestly, I couldn't care less if the seats are Red.

All I'm getting is higher ticket prices and worse seats. I'm fine with things just the way they are. The only advantage to me will be the new public transportation system.

Your 100% correct. A guy in each endzone (upper) use to do. one side then the next to see who was louder. I sat right behind the guy in 301 for years (the louder side) he wore a helmet . it was funny ed would stand up and try and do it and he got shouted downed and booed! Then one year the guy stopped coming to the games and the other guy I dont know what happened to him. So ed got it by default. When we first moved to Jersey we had a cheer off in 301. this guy from shea who use to do it tried to get his gig back but couldnt and bowed out. He use to bring bags of candy to shea and turn around and throw it to the crowd.

You really think he thought that far ahead?

What really is disenfranchising me, is that the stadium experience, which is supposed to be a huge upgrade, is actually going to get worse.

I go to the games to watch the game. Giants Stadium has great sight-lines, no matter where you sit. Just going by my eye, it seems to me that the upper bowl, where many of us usually sit, appears to start (1st row) at about the same height as the last row in the current stadium.

I'm never going to a restaurant in the new stadium, I'm going to watch the game, and honestly, I couldn't care less if the seats are Red.

All I'm getting is higher ticket prices and worse seats. I'm fine with things just the way they are. The only advantage to me will be the new public transportation system.

Giants stadium probably has one of the best upper decks in the league in terms of sight line and how close you are actually to the field. People are going to be quite shocked to see how far back they are in the new stadium.

Giants stadium probably has one of the best upper decks in the league in terms of sight line and how close you are actually to the field. People are going to be quite shocked to see how far back they are in the new stadium.

Far back indeed FREE (no psl) usually has its drawbacks. StubHub or home for me enjoy!

how do you know the uppers are set back too far?

The new stadium experience is going to be drastically different regardless of where Ed sits. What little home field advantage the Jets have will be gone

Other stadia have had PSLs and they still have a home field advantage. I think this aspect is greatly overblown here.

Other stadia have had PSLs and they still have a home field advantage. I think this aspect is greatly overblown here.

Other teams aren't sharing their stadium.

Hey if ed was trying to work a free seat...good for him. You all know you'd do the same.

Other teams don't have to compete with another team for fans.

The quote from Woody about how if current season ticket holders don't want to pay, other Jet fans will is hilarious to me. The waiting list is no longer than 6,000 people. :rl: More like the CEO's and corporations / suits will be paying Woody, you greedy ****.

Fireman Ed is the only thing that gives Jets fans home field advantage. 99% of the true diehard fans, including myself, will be pushed to the Upper Tier, you don't hear much from up there.

The quote from Woody about how if current season ticket holders don't want to pay, other Jet fans will is hilarious to me. The waiting list is no longer than 6,000 people. :rl: More like the CEO's and corporations / suits will be paying Woody, you greedy ****.

Fireman Ed is the only thing that gives Jets fans home field advantage. 99% of the true diehard fans, including myself, will be pushed to the Upper Tier, you don't hear much from up there.

I wouldn't be so sure in this economy that the corporations are going to pony up

big bucks for those lower seats. And if they do maybe it won't be for 4 seats maybe

it will be for maybe 2.

And just from those I know, at least 10 people who have significant seniority for

getting the good seats are opting for the upper level.

So all the crowd noise comes from the lower level? wow that is impressive. :eek:

cmon now aec clearly he is the voice of all fans..we do not know how to cheer without him, wear our jerseys without him or even go to games without him

Well it appeared from last year we knew how to look at boobies at Gate D without him.

cmon now aec clearly he is the voice of all fans..we do not know how to cheer without him, wear our jerseys without him or even go to games without him

Some won't get up and cheer nearly as loud without him and its sad. It really is, but its the truth. The stadium is always louder when he is in attendance. I don't know how the stadium would be if he wasn't there for a game in December with the team at 8-4 though because he only seems to not come when the team is struggling.

I am willing to bet you will see him and his brother with better seats in the new stadium and it won`t cost him a dime ,I guarantee he and his brother will get their PSL` s and first couple of seasons tickets free in return for doing a few comercials for Woody ,trying to talk the rest of us into paying these PSL`s while ED will most likely get his covered .

I am willing to bet you will see him and his brother with better seats in the new stadium and it won`t cost him a dime ,I guarantee he and his brother will get their PSL` s and first couple of seasons tickets free in return for doing a few comercials for Woody ,trying to talk the rest of us into paying these PSL`s while ED will most likely get his covered .
I'll go with you on the first half of your statement. He'll most likely get a deal of some sort but in exchange for PSL commercials? No chance.

Some won't get up and cheer nearly as loud without him and its sad. It really is, but its the truth. The stadium is always louder when he is in attendance. I don't know how the stadium would be if he wasn't there for a game in December with the team at 8-4 though because he only seems to not come when the team is struggling.

Funny he even left for a bit during the Chiefs game... when the Jets were losing..hmmm thank god the people in lower level are so loud

Archived