Jones is having a nice year so far

Larz

4.5 YPC, 601 yards and 5 TD's rushing

5.2 YPR, 104 yards and 1 TD receiving

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2138

that's 705 yards in 8 games or 88 yards from scrimmage per game, or an average of 4.57 yards per touch, with 1 lost fumble in 154 touches

the 16 game trend is 1,200 yards rushing and 12 overall TD's

he doesn't break long ones, but he is a battering ram, and the JETS should use him to wear down defenses more

075540773.jpg

here's a quick list of the guys averaging less than 4.5 YPC this season

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rush&sort=avg&league=nfl&season=2&year=2008

steven jackson

ronnie brown

LT

fast willie

I know that he's having a good year, but he doesn't seem to be flashy. I'm not sure that is the right word or not. He's getting the job done, it doesn't look impressive though. Kind of like our team is doing. Our team is in first place, but I don't think anyone is scared to face us. Know what I mean?

I know that he's having a good year, but he doesn't seem to be flashy. I'm not sure that is the right word or not. He's getting the job done, it doesn't look impressive though. Kind of like our team is doing. Our team is in first place, but I don't think anyone is scared to face us. Know what I mean?

I do

he doesn't break long runs, but he is productive. to have a 4.5 YPC after 132 carries and a long run of 31 means you have very few negative runs.

I think the Jets will feature him more as we get into big games, bad weather, and the december push

He's having a fantastic year but people still want to bash him for having a down year behind our awesome Offensive Line we had last year. :rolleyes:

Yes, that 2007 Oline was something, wasn't it? Jones had a hole to run through maybe half the time, the rest of the plays he'd be running right into a brick wall of opposing players.

Not surprised he's doing better this year.

The fact that he doesn't break that many long ones makes his YPC that much more impressive. If you took away Barry Sanders long runs, his average was probably like 1.5. Not knocking Barry, who was incredible and a totally different breed of runner, but it just demonstrates that Jones is a consistent runner (when behind good blocking), who the Jets should be using more.

TJones is good not GREAT, but he gets the job done and that's all that matters. he opens up the passing game for Favre and he is running much better w/ a good offensive line. plus, i know a lot of you want a RB like LT or like Adrian Peterson, but yeahh you can not have a franchise player at every position. Complaining about Tjones is going to do nothing, because it won't be his fault if we do not make the Super Bowl. You can win the Super Bowl w/o a great running back. You just need a great defense and a solid or great quarterback... and u're in great shape to be a contender. As long he gets it done on the field... no one has a reason to complain about him.

• 3 weeks later...

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-443/Thomas-Jones--sublime-season-continues.html

Thomas Jones' sublime season continues icon_report_hi.gif

December 1, 2008 8:00 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham New York Jets running back Thomas Jones resumed his torrid season Sunday, but for the first time in a long while, his efforts weren't nearly enough.

2138.jpgJones

The Jets, dating to last season, were 9-0 when Jones had a touchdown, and his teams had won 16 straight games when he crossed the goal line.

The AFC's leading runner scored twice Sunday against the Denver Broncos, but the Jets still lost, 34-17, at the Meadowlands.

Jones rushed for 136 yards on just 16 carries. He also had two catches for 21 yards.

Here are some Jones nuggets that illustrate the season he's having:

• With four games to play, he has a career-high 11 rushing touchdowns.
  • He needs one more to tie Curtis Martin's single-season franchise record from 2004. Brad Baxter (1991), Johnny Hector (1987) and Emerson Boozer (1972) also scored 11 for the Jets.
  • Jones' previous best season was nine rushing touchdowns. He has 10 rushing touchdowns and 12 total touchdowns in his past eight games.
  • He eclipsed the 1,000-yard barrier for the fourth consecutive season.
  • His 8.6-yard average per carry on Sunday raised his season average to 4.7, the best of his nine-year career.
  • Jones ripped off a 59-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, the longest scoring run of his career. He had a 61-yard run with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2003, but he didn't score.
  • He has scored a touchdown in six consecutive games, one off Santana Moss' franchise record from 2003. Tony Paige (1985), Boozer (1967) and Bake Turner (1964) also scored in six straight.
  • Jets fullback Tony Richardson has blocked for five running backs in seven 1,000-yard campaigns. The others are Priest Holmes, Larry Johnson, Chester Taylor and Adrian Peterson.

time to give him his due fellas :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
so jones set 3 franchise records today

most rushing TD's in a single season (13)

most TD's in a single season (15)

scores a TD in the eighth consecutive game.

:cheers:

I'm not sure if it's the weight he lost, film he watched or if someone told him to stop being a b*tch, but he's made a fundemental change in how he runs the ball. He has become a heck of a one cut, down hill runner. He hits the hole harder than he ever has. I've been extremely impressed.

Archived