Jets Sign Ty Law: MERGED

madmike1

I dont think there is anyway they replace Lowery with Law. Law is also too slow to play nickelback at this point . I think this was a move to add depth to the FS position and as a 4th CB

This would make sense. I can not see Law, at 34 years old, starting at CB. Law would be effective in dime situations where the Jets LBers have generally proven to be liabilities in pass coverage. If he starts at CB over Lowery, it will not take long for them to realize that is a mistake.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whatever....based on the last time I saw him play...its still Lowery>Law in my eyes...now its definitely a good move for depth and I think Law is WAY better than our other cbs...but are you really telling me you would rather see a thirty something Law, who hasn't played in 10 months or whatever on Wes Welker? I dont....I didn't like Law that much when he was on our team the first run...

Who will the Jets cut? Backup OL or DB? Feely? Nugent?

And will Law wear #24 with Revis swtiching to 22 or will Law wear #22? Nobody is going to wear #28, never.

If Law takes 24 over Revis, Revis should kick Mike T or whoever authorized that in the nuts...this isn't 2002....if Revis wants a goddamn sandwich then Ty Law better be going to get him one...

Whatever....based on the last time I saw him play...its still Lowery>Law in my eyes...now its definitely a good move for depth and I think Law is WAY better than our other cbs...but are you really telling me you would rather see a thirty something Law, who hasn't played in 10 months or whatever on Wes Welker? I dont....I didn't like Law that much when he was on our team the first run...

Exactly. And that was 3 years ago. Those picks he had that year were ridiculously lucky. Law would fall down on his back and the opposing QB would gently plop a pass onto his stomach. He didn't even have to use his hands. :)

Does anyone remember if Law was the #1 or #2 in KC?

I'm wondering because if his lack of success was at the #1 position, then we're ok. But if it was at the #2, this might not be at all beneficial.

Pat Surtain was in KC also those years. They didn't play as #1 and #2. One lined up outside on the right and the other outside on the left. They played whoever came to their side after the huddle. They weren't assigned a certain player.

And as for him covering Welker, I see what you're thinking with having him bump the smaller Welker to try and disrupt his route but Welker is as quick as they come in the NFL (quick, not fast). That would be the last person Law should be covering cuz if he does get off or swim move past a bump, Ty would have a zero percent chance of keeping up with Welker's quickness and acceleration. Ty is better served covering a physical WR with some size, not a midget who is grease lightning quick.

BAD MOVE!

There is no way he is in game shape. Expecially at 35 years old. There is no way you can start him over lowery this thursday unless they are cutting Lowery because that would completely demoralize and destroy the rookies confidence. he cant cover Welker or moss anymore Idont understand where they are going with this. The only thing I could think of is Drew Coleman or Justin Miller are gone or maybe Eric Smith is not coming back Any time soon so Law could then Back up Elam. But if he gonna play corner he will be # 4 ont he depth chart because of his not being in shape and then after getting in shape he might take poteats spot but thats about it or Colemans.Oh and I forgot about slow as #### Barrett. great now we have two David Barretts!

Cb Depth chart

1. Revis

2. Lowery

3.Poteat

4. Law -maybe

5. Coleman

KC Insider on Law

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Nov 10, 2008

So what does Ty Law have left? Since he played for Kansas City last year, we asked one Chiefs observer for his thoughts . . .

"He was a bust in Kansas City," said the unnamed observer. "He was terrible with the young players in the locker room similar to his attitude in New York. He wanted to come back to KC the last couple of weeks but the Chiefs passed. His skills as a cover corner are declining and he's bad against the run. If I were the Jets, I'd line him up at safety and not at corner. If they don't do that, they better make him their nickel back and not on the outside because he'll get torched."

KC Insider on Law

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Nov 10, 2008

So what does Ty Law have left? Since he played for Kansas City last year, we asked one Chiefs observer for his thoughts . . .

"He was a bust in Kansas City," said the unnamed observer. "He was terrible with the young players in the locker room similar to his attitude in New York. He wanted to come back to KC the last couple of weeks but the Chiefs passed. His skills as a cover corner are declining and he's bad against the run. If I were the Jets, I'd line him up at safety and not at corner. If they don't do that, they better make him their nickel back and not on the outside because he'll get torched."

That is encouraging. Sounds like he has more left than I thought. :eek:

I thought this thread was a joke, I wasn't even going to open it up.

:lol:

Lol I didn't think it was real either or I thought someone posted on a thread from years ago.

I don't understand this. He was terrible when we had him the first time. What does he have left? How long before he even gets in game shape? How are they gonna play him Thursday? Do they really think he can cover anyone at CB? How long before he gets accustomed to the team? What's the point?

If he's signed for depth at safety I guess its not horrible but I really don't see the point. Its not like he gives you much 2 years ago, let alone now.

Lol I didn't think it was real either or I thought someone posted on a thread from years ago.

I don't understand this. He was terrible when we had him the first time. What does he have left? How long before he even gets in game shape? How are they gonna play him Thursday? Do they really think he can cover anyone at CB? How long before he gets accustomed to the team? What's the point?

If he's signed for depth at safety I guess its not horrible but I really don't see the point. Its not like he gives you much 2 years ago, let alone now.

Everything you say is true, but his name is Ty Law. The great Ty Law. They tried to get Herb Adderley, but Herb was busy playing shuffle board.

Pat Surtain was in KC also those years. They didn't play as #1 and #2. One lined up outside on the right and the other outside on the left. They played whoever came to their side after the huddle. They weren't assigned a certain player.

And as for him covering Welker, I see what you're thinking with having him bump the smaller Welker to try and disrupt his route but Welker is as quick as they come in the NFL (quick, not fast). That would be the last person Law should be covering cuz if he does get off or swim move past a bump, Ty would have a zero percent chance of keeping up with Welker's quickness and acceleration. Ty is better served covering a physical WR with some size, not a midget who is grease lightning quick.

Do the Pats even have that guy?

I don't want Law on Moss...

Any chance Revis can cover both?

Don't like this move.

Law is old & slow and obviously out-of-shape since he hasn't played anywhere. He's also a locker room malcontent.

The Jets have a good thing going and now they want to rock the boat?

Agree with this as well...

Maybe Mangni thinks he can work with him???

Still trying to make sense of this move because I can't find it.

Law has no clue about the system, is old, slow, locker room cancer. People say he'll be a safety, but why should Elam lose his job since he's playing so well now?

So what about CB? Lowery has had his issues the last 2 weeks, but Law, who was eating donuts and drinking 40s on his couch as late as yesterday is going to be an upgrade?

I'm sniffing some desperation on Mangini's part. Belichick must really own him if Mangini things the roster needs an upgrade to face Matt Cassel.

Let's think this out.

1. The Jets are facing their heated rivals

2. In the biggest game in 2 seasons

3. On a short work week.

4. And Mangini has put Sutton in the position of trying to work in a just signed decrepid prima dona.

How does that make any ****ing sense?

I'm sniffing some desperation on Mangini's part. Belichick must really own him if Mangini things the roster needs an upgrade to face Matt Cassel.

It does. Just not Law. We're getting killed by everybody but the wideouts basically.

I can't really imagine it being a problem.

The guy is coming in late of the couch, he's not the best corner on the team, and it's by a significant margin. If he plays safety, he's not the best on the team either. He's not going to be one of the top 10 highest paid players, and with guys like Jenkins, Faneca, and ahem, Brett Favre, he's not one of the biggest names either.

I think if he acts up, he'll be taken down pretty damn quickly.

KC Insider on Law

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Nov 10, 2008

That's what it is, Law said it himself in the article from Schefter. He's going to be a hybrid CB/Safety. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole reason they're bringing him in now is because Eric Smith's head is still ringing from his hit on Boldin and he's going on IR.

Let's think this out.

1. The Jets are facing their heated rivals

2. In the biggest game in 2 seasons

3. On a short work week.

4. And Mangini has put Sutton in the position of trying to work in a just signed decrepid prima dona.

How does that make any ****ing sense?

Mangini is taking the Pats and giving 3 1/2 points?

That's the only thing I can come up with.

If we signed him in the beginning of the year it would of made more sense but now it seems a little odd. Law needs about three or more games to get in football shape even to play the nickel.I'm just hoping he has some left in the tank to help us out.

All true BUT Law says he's playing this Thursday:

Adam Schefter

Jets sign CB Law

Not that Thursday night’s New York-New England clash needed any extra juice, but it just got some.

Free-agent cornerback Ty Law reached agreement Monday with the Jets on a one-year deal, and is expected to play Thursday night against the Patriots.

This is going to be different playing Thursday night against the Patriots, matching up against my former team and the players I’m used to practicing against,” Law said as he was packing in Boston to drive to New York only to return to Boston again on Wednesday.

“I know they’re going to throw at me, but I welcome the challenge.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/11/10/jets-sign-cb-law/

Don't discount the possibility that Law is going to be playing a lot more safety than corner. Its possible Eric Smith is going to be hitting the IR. The guy had 2 or 3 concussions in a few week span and hasn't played since the last one. When you consider how much better Elam is playing than Smith was, they may feel better off IR'ing him. But then that leaves them very thin at safety, especially with Barrett getting more reps at CB again the past couple of weeks.

Archived