The last 4 games

Gainzo

The Pats and Jets are 3-1 with both teams losing a game by 3 points.

Over those 4 games the Pats have scored 99 points and given up 51. The Jets have scored 114 points and given up 50.

For those saying the Jets have hit their stride and are going to go on a roll I would counter that with the Pats hitting their stride and doing the same thing.

Unless there are multiple turnovers on Thursday I think it's going to be a tight game.

Over those 4 games the Pats have scored 99 points and given up 51. The Jets have scored 114 points and given up 50.

For those saying the Jets have hit their stride and are going to go on a roll I would counter that with the Pats hitting their stride and doing the same thing.

Unless there are multiple turnovers on Thursday I think it's going to be a tight game.

On paper it should be a close game and it probably will be. I'd say turnovers and/or pressure on the QB will determine this game.

The one advantage I'd give the Jets is that they're feeling the need to win more than the Pats... a lot like week 10 in '06, their 2nd meeting that year.

Key to the game. The Jets had what yesterday? Five turnovers? That's how the Jets win. If the Pats can minimize their mistakes, limit Jones and force Lord Favre into a couple of dumb decisions - the Pats could win. On the flip side, the Jets can pressure Cassel - and although he's no slippy fingers Kurt Warner, he will eat the ball. I see a low scoring game with the Jets eeking one out. I'm always wrong though - so what do I know! :)

I agree with the stride thing though. I admit I was wrong about Cassel. He's improved by leaps and bounds since the SD game. He's actually a good game manager now. I fear for the defense - the front seven have been playing pretty well, with the d-line playing terrific, but losing Thomas hurts.

The one advantage I'd give the Jets is that they're feeling the need to win more than the Pats... a lot like week 10 in '06, their 2nd meeting that year.

Why would the Jets "feel the need" to win more than the Pats? Both teams want to win.

Looks like we should win by 15-16 points based on those numbers. :Nuts:

lol, I smell fear.

tha last game was a game of field position, and the kicking game

the JETS have improved dramatically in that area, and the pats have not

edge JETS

Why would the Jets "feel the need" to win more than the Pats? Both teams want to win.

Jets | Team feels the need.

Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:39:49 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the Daily News, reports New York Jets LB Cody Spencer claims to "feel the need" more than any player on the New England Patriots.

jets have a mental block vs. the patriots. if the jets win thursday i think they will go on a roll through the rest of the season. if the jets lose thur, 6-5 is probable and then they need to finish 4-1.

this game could legitimately be the difference b/w 12-4 and 9-7

record aside, this is the jets most reasonable shot at the division. if they lose to the pats they will fall 2 games behind them (they lose the tiebreaker) and imo little chance of catching them.

Looks like we should win by 15-16 points based on those numbers. :Nuts:

Good point based on the numbers; but numbers lie. The only team the Jets faced with a winning record was the Bills.

The Pats beat 2 teams with winning records (Broncos, Bills) and dropped a 3 point game against another team with a winning record (Colts).

Rich Cimini, of the Daily News, reports New York Jets LB Cody Spencer claims to "feel the need" more than any player on the New England Patriots.

That's precious. How would he know this? Is it a gut feeling? Or, was Cimini taking what he said out of context. Having read the blood-sucking sports media in the northeast for too long, I go with the latter.

:pats::biggrin:

I like to think I'm a pretty knowledgeable football fan but for the life of me I've never heard of Cody Spencer. Is LB code for kickoff and punt team?

It's for first place and a divison game, my guess is that both teams "feel the need" to win. ;)

the pats want to win. the jets need to win.

the pats won the first meeting.

the jets are chasing the pats.

this is probably the jets only chance to get out from under the pats.

the pats have owned the division and the jets for the last 6 years. (its sickening i know)

the pats could lose and still get back the division with a jets loss.

the jets would lose the tiebreaker and fall 2 games behind with this one loss. (and probably no chance to regain the division)

etc...

here is how i see it

patriots are getting better offensively but their defense has struggled against the short passe and runs. and although they have minimized big plays they still allow teams to get into field goal range. matt cassel has improved but the effective running game has helped him alot.

key for the pats is to stay balanced offensively and dont allow the jets to manufacture long time consuming drives.

jets need to stop the run and not turn the ball over

That's precious. How would he know this? Is it a gut feeling? Or, was Cimini taking what he said out of context. Having read the blood-sucking sports media in the northeast for too long, I go with the latter.

How does Cody Spencer know this?

Cody Spencer has a minor in Psychology from the University of North Texas.

Cody Spencer just knows.

here is how i see it

patriots are getting better offensively but their defense has struggled against the short passe and runs. and although they have minimized big plays they still allow teams to get into field goal range. matt cassel has improved but the effective running game has helped him alot.

key for the pats is to stay balanced offensively and dont allow the jets to manufacture long time consuming drives.

jets need to stop the run and not turn the ball over

I agree with much of what you posted.

My only thing I'll add is that I'm completely fine with minimizing big plays and forcing the other team to go the length of the field. Given a lack of Tom Brady, I'd prefer not to get into a shootout. Forcing Favre to take his time to go down the field gives more chances for him to get impatient and force one.

I agree with everyone else, turnovers will determine the winner.

I agree with much of what you posted.

My only thing I'll add is that I'm completely fine with minimizing big plays and forcing the other team to go the length of the field. Given a lack of Tom Brady, I'd prefer not to get into a shootout. Forcing Favre to take his time to go down the field gives more chances for him to get impatient and force one.

I agree with everyone else, turnovers will determine the winner.

I know this probably sounds crazy, but the Pats succeeded with a very short passing game the first time they played us. I rarely see BB repeat himself. Of course, the QB limits his options, but I think he may try to go over the top some on first down. Especially without his best RBs playing. Note to Linemen: please get those hands up on 3 step drops. If we take a slant away here and there it may stop a drive.

There is only so much that even Belicheat can do.

To be honest I am quite surprised they are 6-3 considering the fact that they have lost Brady, Harrison, Maroney, Jordan and now Thomas for the season.

I don't see doing much running the football this time like they did week 2 and if the Jets can take away the running then Cassell is going to have alot problems.

Jets-Pats games usually comes down to who wins the battle in the trenches and while the Pats have been killed with injuries this year they still have Seymour, Wilfolk and Warren up front and they have been pretty much able to have their way the Jets OL. If the Jets OL, which has played alot better since their week 2 meeting are at least neutralize them and keep them off of Favre then the Pats are going to be in real trouble.

I am usually pretty pessimistic when it comes to the Jets in big spots. I just have that feeling that those last two games (Buffalo and Rams) has given this team the shot of confidence it needs to go up there, take the crowd out of the game and throw a beating on the Pats.

I'm not going to pick a score but I do think the Jets are going to win and they are going to do it convincingly.

To be honest I am quite surprised they are 6-3 considering the fact that they have lost Brady, Harrison, Maroney, Jordan and now Thomas for the season.

I don't see doing much running the football this time like they did week 2 and if the Jets can take away the running then Cassell is going to have alot problems.

Jets-Pats games usually comes down to who wins the battle in the trenches and while the Pats have been killed with injuries this year they still have Seymour, Wilfolk and Warren up front and they have been pretty much able to have their way the Jets OL. If the Jets OL, which has played alot better since their week 2 meeting are at least neutralize them and keep them off of Favre then the Pats are going to be in real trouble.

I am usually pretty pessimistic when it comes to the Jets in big spots. I just have that feeling that those last two games (Buffalo and Rams) has given this team the shot of confidence it needs to go up there, take the crowd out of the game and throw a beating on the Pats.

I'm not going to pick a score but I do think the Jets are going to win and they are going to do it convincingly.

They still have the NFL officals. That is a powerful asset.

Rain with temps in the low 40's for Thursday nite. :( I HATE cold, rainy games - the worst. If it weren't for Troy Brown night, I wouldn't be attending.

Anyway, the rain may neutralize a few things.

What is the matter you might ruin your manicure?

Compared to 2001, ths 2008 Patriots are a wash at QB, RB, and TE (though the RB and TE are faster, it is unclear they are better). The 2008 Patriots are better at WR, OL, DL, LB, P, KR, PR. The only clear advantage for the 2001 Pats was CB, and maybe a slight advantage at S. That team was able to go 11-5, hit its stride at the right time, and be strong going into the playoffs. It is theoretically possible this year's team can do the same, assuming Cassel keeps progressing and Morris and Jordan get healthy.

(Not saying they will win it all of course. Just saying they have a puncher's chance.)

I agree that this game comes down to line play for both sides. Cassel has shown that he can stand and deliver. He isn't as accurate downfield as Brady, but he can make all the throws if you give him time. Similarly, the Pats DL needs to chase Favre around to force him into some dumb throws.

What is the matter you might ruin your manicure?

nope....my hair.

When you get wet, and the temps are in the forties, you get a chill in your body that just won't quit. It sucks.

Good thing there are a plethora of bars to choose from at Patriot Place. Warm, dry places to drink and eat. I see Krafts vision now - cater to the older, long-time fan who has been there- done that,and is willing to part with their money in exchange for comfort.

Archived