Pats LBs in state of flux

TaborJet

Pats LBs in state of flux

Head coach Bill Belichick says the team's linebacking corps still is a work in progress.

01:00 AM EDT on Saturday, August 20, 2005

BY SHALISE MANZA YOUNG

Journal Sports Writer

Despite the retirement of Ted Johnson and the health status of Tedy Bruschi, the Patriots still have plenty of experience at linebacker.

The problem is, not all of the players have experience in the New England defensive system, and they don't have a lot of experience playing together as a unit yet.

The Pats currently have 14 linebackers on their roster, and while some, such as Willie McGinest, Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin, are not only veterans but also reliable contributors, others (Chad Brown and Monty Beisel) have the NFL experience but are new to New England.

As head coach Bill Belichick has said many times this preseason, the entire team is a work in progress at this point, but the linebacking corps has more changes to it than other areas of the team.

In a conference call with the media yesterday -- there was no other access to the team, and there will be none until Monday -- Belichick said the linebacking unit is still working out the kinks.

"It's improving. We're doing some things better than a week ago, and a lot of things better than two weeks ago," he said. "It's improving, but also (there are) plenty of things to get tightened up."

On Thursday night against New Orleans, McGinest and Colvin started at outside linebacker, while Beisel and Brown started at inside linebacker in the Patriots' 3-4 defensive alignment.

Brown led the linebackers with six tackles (four solo), while Tully Banta-Cain had five solo tackles. Wesly Mallard, signed away from the Giants, and first-year backer Grant Steen combined for a second-half sack.

But the Saints were able to move the ball with their ground game, getting a total of 187 rushing yards, led by Deuce McAllister's 88 on 20 carries.

"Sometimes we had a few guys playing a play pretty well and then a breakdown in one area led to the quarterback coming out of contain," Belichick said. "It's coming along. They have to get used to playing with each other, our system. It's a work in progress. I'm sure that as time goes by it will get better, and I hope it will get better at a faster rate than our opponents are improving."

Hindering the unit's cohesion is an injury to Vrabel suffered in the team's first preseason game against Cincinnati. Vrabel rolled an ankle on a special-teams play in that game and has not practiced since. There has been no word from Belichick on the extent of the injury.

With so many changes and adjustments still to be made, Belichick couldn't make any prediction as to when things will start to click.

"I think it depends on the player" how fast he acclimates to a new team, he said. "I don't think there's any set formula for anything. It varies for everyone. Part of it, part of any time a player moves from one system to another, one problem is breaking old habits.

"It's not that you don't understand what the new responsibilities are, but you're so used to doing things (a certain way), you get into your old habits. I'm not sure that it's any different for that position than any other position, though."

Belichick noted that punter Josh Miller mentioned to him that he had some difficulties transitioning from Pittsburgh to New England before last season, even though punting might be the one position that has the same requirements on every team.

"When you change teams, as a rookie or a pro free agent, there's a period of time where you are . . . I'm not sure if 'unsure' is the word, but you're not reacting as quickly as you would if you were more comfortable," Belichick said. "There's no substitute for experience -- experience in your system, not just experience in the league."

But the Saints were able to move the ball with their ground game, getting a total of 187 rushing yards, led by Deuce McAllister's 88 on 20 carries.

This is an area of concern, not just the LB's, but the entire run defense.

It has been proven time and time again, if you can't stop the run in the NFL, you are not going to win football games.

Look at the Pats in 2002 when they were ranked on the bottom of run defense. Hopefully they gat this figured out in the next 3 weeks.

It sucks opening up against a team with a real stud RB. Too bad the Pats could't open up against the Jets and cutesy RB CuMar.

Good article.

As PFK pointed out on KFFL to all the doomsayers, the Bengals grounded out 200 yards last year and for the most part the defense played like crap the entire preseason.

A stex alluded to, if this is a problem in Spetember, I will be a little more worried. I do not care about preseason championships. Better to be playing great in December, January and February then August.

This is why I strongly beleive that the defensive alignment will be different on opening nite than what we are seeing in the pre-season. Never under-estimate BB's penchant for suprises.

Good call Garb, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the Pats come out in a 4-3 if BB is not completely satisfied with the LB play.

At least he shows signs of life versuses the run. :lol: Only time when Wilfork moves real well is when he is running to the buffet table.

Wilfat = Bust

Almost as big of a bust as Ben Watson.

Career Sacks:

Ed Reed- 3

Bryan Thomas- 2

Now that's what you call a bust. :wink:

Wilfork did look like poop last Thursday eve. However, he looked great the last six games of last season. Really good. So good, Traylor was hardly ever on the field.

A 4-3 is good and bad. Good = 4 #1 draft picks starting on the line. Hello!! Bad = what to do with McGinest?

Career Sacks:

Ed Reed- 3

Bryan Thomas- 2

Now that's what you call a bust. :wink:

:shock::shock:

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Difference is though, Ed Reed has been a starter from Day 1. Bryan Thomas has started some games, but overall not many in comparison. I still say that when we play a 3-4 here and there we could put Bryan Thomas as an outside passrusher like the pats do with McGinest or what the browns are doing with Kenard Lang. Thomas needs to lose weight either way.

Wilfork did look like poop last Thursday eve. However, he looked great the last six games of last season. Really good. So good, Traylor was hardly ever on the field.

A 4-3 is good and bad. Good = 4 #1 draft picks starting on the line. Hello!! Bad = what to do with McGinest?

Keep him fresh in rotation.

Really, that is the beauty of all the tweeners the Patriots have, no better way to disguise your formation.

Archived