Jerod Mayo

KINGDIRK

How to you come to this conclusion?

1) I hardly call it a spanking. I call it a nice, solid victory by the better team. Scores usually don't lie.

2) Keller had a terrific nite - AIDED by the fact that Merriweather sucks ass. In OT - Merriweather had him dead to rights and Keller just plowed through him. I attribute this to Keller being a beast and Merrweather being a jelly donut without any help from teh other jelly donuts. Just calling it like it is. The Pats pass defense is abysmal.

3) Yes, Keller may be a stud. I think Mayo may be too.

I was not impressed with Mayo until thurs nite.

He was like a heat seeking missle best player on Pats D by far

Keller will be Jets Dallas Clark and that is a good thing!!!!

You are poster number 4,758 to ask this question. You have been a member for a few years and have racked up a healthy amount of posts so I'm surprised you brought this up.

Garb, Alk, PFSIKH and me were invited to join this site when it started. I'm sorry you don't like what we have to say sometimes but this thread isn't the place to call us out.

JonEJet is saying that the Jets spanked the Pats while ecurb is saying that the #6 pick in the draft is a "project."

I post on patsfans.com and get all kinds of crap for calling out the homers who make statements like jonE and ecurb do on this site.

I don't consider you a "Troll" Just misguided. You make some fairly interesting posts. Of the 10,000 times I have heard pats fans explain why the have 13,000 posts, or more, on a Jets board, it just doesn't make sense.

Consider Counseling

I don't consider you a "Troll" Just misguided. You make some fairly interesting posts. Of the 10,000 times I have heard pats fans explain why the have 13,000 posts, or more, on a Jets board, it just doesn't make sense.

Consider Counseling

Thanks.....I guess! I was invited here and enjoy the banter going back and forth over the years.

I have met a bunch of really good Jets fans who not only post here but go to games (home and on the road). I have a name for those people: Football fans.

They love their team and I love mine but it doesn't stop us from tailgating together, sitting next to each other at games, and forming friendships.

If you want a circle jerk of all things Jets I suggest you start your own board and not let any other NFL fan join the board.

Thanks.....I guess! I was invited here and enjoy the banter going back and forth over the years.

I have met a bunch of really good Jets fans who not only post here but go to games (home and on the road). I have a name for those people: Football fans.

They love their team and I love mine but it doesn't stop us from tailgating together, sitting next to each other at games, and forming friendships.

If you want a circle jerk of all things Jets I suggest you start your own board and not let any other NFL fan join the board.

I honestly didn't mean that as a personal attack on you. I just don't understand.

I think you are a good poster, and am glad your on the board.

I just don't get it. Then again there's alot of things I don't get.

Anyone else really impressed with this kid? He was all over the place - forgot at times that he is just a rookie.

Anyone else think him and Harris would have been a nasty combo in the middle for the next half decade?

Tennambaum has done a pretty decent job drafting. Had he picked Mayo over Gholston, I think he would get more positive pub around the league, ala Jerry Reese.

mayo was very impressive

as far as the draft goes, show me where mayo was considered a top 6 prospect

I honestly didn't mean that as a personal attack on you. I just don't understand.

I think you are a good poster, and am glad your on the board.

I just don't get it. Then again there's alot of things I don't get.

I have no problem where you are coming from on this. Is it odd that Pats fans are on JN? Of course it is...........but it isn't!

A healthy message board has 95% home team fans with the other 5% a mix of opposing team fans. Do you really want a board with 100% Jets fans? That would be a train wreck.

This season has been a little bit out of the ordinary as the dormant Dolphins fans have decided to post a lot and a bunch of Pats fans not named me, Garb, Alk or PFSIKH have posted a lot of smack.

You are poster number 4,758 to ask this question. You have been a member for a few years and have racked up a healthy amount of posts so I'm surprised you brought this up.

Garb, Alk, PFSIKH and me were invited to join this site when it started. I'm sorry you don't like what we have to say sometimes but this thread isn't the place to call us out.

JonEJet is saying that the Jets spanked the Pats while ecurb is saying that the #6 pick in the draft is a "project."

I post on patsfans.com and get all kinds of crap for calling out the homers who make statements like jonE and ecurb do on this site.

I've asked the same question before and haven't really gotten an answer from any of the patsie fans. I think the majority of people could really care less about who you root for as long as you aren't a pecker head about things. I have many friends that root for many different teams and we often hang out and watch football. I just get tired of the fact that the majority of Pats fans can't view their team without rose colored glasses. You know your team cheated, you know you team gets calls on a constant basis, and you know the majority of your fans act like a holes. That being said. I know a few pat fans that are cool and agree with me. The pats are a very good team without tom fing brady. they made a great pick with mayo what more do you want. ghoulston hasn't shown up and personally wouldn't have picked him. and their are plenty of project picks taken at the 1st pick. normally they are qb's though. The pats were getting spanked, it just so happens that are coaching staff are a bunch of idiots and let them back in. I'm glad to see that you call out your own fans, I bet they love you for it.

NFL baby, without him the JETS are 4-6 at best.

lol

I think Jones' success says more about the Jets OL this year than him suddenly becoming a super-stud.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

An MVP would have gotten that first down on our last possession of regulation or would have gotten in once in those 3 tries during the first NE game in week 2. If he needs a big hole to run through, what's so special about him?

He's having a good season & by far the best season of his career, but NFL MVP? Please. He's not even close to being the team MVP.

My "logic"

No logic here buddy, he plays a position that already has 2 first round picks starting and playing well....

WTF are you even talking about.

Ok....your analogy of Gholston's play or lack thereof would make sense on the Patriots if Mayo was riding the bench and had to beat out players that were actually talented. Plus, the Patriots have been a playoff team recently.

However, Gholston was drafted 6th overall and had to beat out the likes of Barton, Bowens, a draft bust in Pace and Thomas. The Jets were not a playoff team and thus were able to draft Gholston #6.

Now, what you say might be true. I have seen about 20 minutes of Jets' football this year. However, I do not believe the Jets drafted him to be on the bench.

I have no problem where you are coming from on this. Is it odd that Pats fans are on JN? Of course it is...........but it isn't!

A healthy message board has 95% home team fans with the other 5% a mix of opposing team fans. Do you really want a board with 100% Jets fans? That would be a train wreck.

This season has been a little bit out of the ordinary as the dormant Dolphins fans have decided to post a lot and a bunch of Pats fans not named me, Garb, Alk or PFSIKH have posted a lot of smack.

i don't think anyone questions why you are here. everyone wants to see what other teams and their fans are up to, a little. although i do think its weird and don't understand how a person could have enough time to post 12,000 times on an opponents message board, even if given an entire lifetime. just seems a little obsessive to me.

Hey, we had another first-round pick making plays Thursday night. He wore #81.

How did the Pats other first-rounder do? Oh, right...they surrendered that pick. :)

Mayo is not good in coverage just like the way he covered (or lack there) of Keller. Keller was the best 1st round pick on the field from the 2007 draft class. He dominated Mayo div145.gifwhich is attributed by his 8 receptions and working on Mayo throughout the game. The crucial 3 and 15 could be attributed to the lack of pass coverage skills of Mayo.div145.gif Tackles are a very overrated stat.

From Boston Globe:

In particular, Mayo was one of four linebackers on the field on a crucial third-and-15 play in overtime when the Jets converted a 16-yard pass to tight end Dustin Keller. Two defenders wound up in the same zone on the play - one appeared to be Mayo - creating the surprising opening for Keller.

Of Keller's eight catches, Mayo was in on the tackle six times, a reflection of how the Jets seemed to be working on the matchup of tight end vs. linebacker in zone coverage.

I think it's good that you get a good mixture of fans from around the league; it keeps the homerism in check and provides rational discussion.

I post at a message board where we just have one thread for the NFL. No one goes overboard with the homerism because you'll get called out easily. I think it's the best way to run things.

I've been to patsfan.com by the way, and there's one board that has got 99% Pats fans. oof.

Mayo is not good in coverage just like the way he covered (or lack there) of Keller. Keller was the best 1st round pick on the field from the 2007 draft class. He dominated Mayo div145.gifwhich is attributed by his 8 receptions and working on Mayo throughout the game. The crucial 3 and 15 could be attributed to the lack of pass coverage skills of Mayo.div145.gif Tackles are a very overrated stat.

From Boston Globe:

In particular, Mayo was one of four linebackers on the field on a crucial third-and-15 play in overtime when the Jets converted a 16-yard pass to tight end Dustin Keller. Two defenders wound up in the same zone on the play - one appeared to be Mayo - creating the surprising opening for Keller.

Of Keller's eight catches, Mayo was in on the tackle six times, a reflection of how the Jets seemed to be working on the matchup of tight end vs. linebacker in zone coverage.

Look i hate the pats as much as anyone...

Mayo was a F'n stud on thursday, keller is like a WR, you can't expect mayo

to be on him like glue.

So Mayo's not perfect in coverage. What linebacker is perfect in coverage against a big receiver with Keller's speed?

So far, he looks about as good as Harris did as a rookie & started from game 1. He may not have as many tackles (per start) that Harris did, but I take for granted that more runners got past the 2007 Jets' front-3 with D-Bust in the middle than the Pats' front-3.

He's got a lot of raw talent, but so far I find it hard to rationalize Gholston as anything but a bust so far. Yes we're barely past the halfway point of his rookie season, yes there are 2 experienced starters doing well (overall) already in there, and yes he's playing a different position. But the latter is why I didn't like the pick before we made it.

I didn't mind him as a prospect, but not at $10M/yr for 5 years with $21M or whatever guaranteed, to a guy who shot up the draft rankings because of combine measurables, and you've never seen him play the position or the scheme before on a full-time basis. That's what made it a wishful-thinking, if not stupid, pick. If he pans out, then great. But the odds are considerably against it. Everyone saw his measurables & sack numbers in the 4-3 against college-level talent & made the enormous leap that he will likely be something of a Shawne Merriman at the next level.

There are lots of guys Merriman's size. And steroids notwithstanding, his being flat-out better is what separates him from the rest. It's not the size/speed. Because frankly, neither of these guys were clocked at Bryan Thomas' speed at the combine. Hell, most RB's & WR's didn't run as fast as Thomas did at his combine either. There's a bit more to it than that.

His HC worked with some decent, successful LB'ers in NE, successfully converted a supposedly less-talented Bryan Thomas from DE to OLB, and his DC is a LB coach first & foremost. But it's disturbing that Gholston's on the field like never (particularly for such a high-pick prospect).

Like I said, he's very young. But anyone who is still very optimistic is dreaming.

By comparison, Mayo has been 100x the better pick than Gholston's been so far.

Could be worse, though. We could be in second place like NE after having their hearts ripped out on Thursday night.

I think it's good that you get a good mixture of fans from around the league; it keeps the homerism in check and provides rational discussion.

I post at a message board where we just have one thread for the NFL. No one goes overboard with the homerism because you'll get called out easily. I think it's the best way to run things.

I've been to patsfan.com by the way, and there's one board that has got 99% Pats fans. oof.

Patsfans.com is one of the worst fan websites out there. It REALLY is homerville....and I, for one, can't stand that. There is zero objectivity there. Put it this way, they have a "rep" system there as well and I have about five negatives to my one positive (and that was for a Troy Brown post). I'm called a troll often because of "negative" comments I've made about the team. It cracks me up, actually. At least here, it's Jets fans that call me a troll. LOL!

Back to Keller and Mayo. Lets just say that Keller will cause match-up problems for opponents for the rest of his prime career and Mayo most likely will be a force at LB for the rest of his prime career.

BTW - calling Gholston a "bust" is a bit premature, no? The guy does not see the field. You have to play to show you're a "bust" no? I think, perhaps, his brain hasn't quite caught up with his talent. You 'gotta give a guy three years before you can call him a bust. For example: Chad Jackson. :)

Archived