Saints bask in offense's effectiveness vs. Patriots

TaborJet

Saints bask in offense's effectiveness vs. Patriots

Performance in line with desired identity

Sunday, August 21, 2005

By Jeff Duncan

Staff writer

Saints offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard might want to frame the tape of the second quarter of Thursday night's 37-27 exhibition win against New England.

Other than a dropped pass by Joe Horn that resulted in a New England interception, and a muffed center exchange by Aaron Brooks, the Saints' offense was nearly perfect.

New Orleans ran 30 plays, gained 10 first downs, converted five of six third downs and controlled the ball for 12:19 of the 15-minute quarter. The Saints scored a touchdown and two field goals in four drives. Fourteen of the first 21 plays in the quarter were runs. Every one went for yardage. And the Saints committed only one penalty.

"That's what we try to be," running back Deuce McAllister said. "We want to lay on people, control the ball, control the clock and beat teams up and grind them. That's who we are."

It's not pretty football. And it's hardly spectacular, as evidence by the preponderance of Patriots highlights on SportsCenter. But when it works, as it did against the Patriots, it is brutally effective.

Saints fans who wondered what the new streamlined attack would look like under new offensive coordinator Mike Sheppard now have a good idea of what to expect when the season begins Sept. 11 at Carolina.

"It's pretty close," Sheppard said, while quickly noting that New England substituted liberally and was without a handful of key defenders. "We wanted to play like we practiced, and I think we got closer to that."

The performance was a vast improvement from the exhibition opener against Seattle, in which the Saints committed three turnovers, had a critical pre-snap penalty and didn't find a rhythm in a 34-15 loss.

Against the Patriots, the Saints had just four plays of 82 that resulted in lost yardage. Only four of their 42 runs didn't gain yards.

"We didn't have very many mental errors or missed assignments," Sheppard said. "And I thought we were physical. We had to prove that that's who we are."

With a rushing attack that ground out 183 yards and averaged 4.3 yards per carry, the Saints controlled the clock for 38:03. The Saints gained at least three first downs and ran at least nine plays on six of their 11 drives. That's what Saints coach Jim Haslett had in mind when he directed Sheppard to overhaul the playbook this offseason.

"I think we were successful on the ground," left guard Kendyl Jacox said after the game. "It feels good. I think Coach Sheppard has given us what we really want. We really can't complain about anything. We told people we were going to run the ball, and that's what we did."

Equally important, Sheppard called the numbers of several rarely used options. Fullback Mike Karney scored on a one-yard dive. Backup running back Antowain Smith rambled for 54 yards in relief of McAllister. No. 3 receiver Devery Henderson scored on a 34-yard pass. Tight end Zach Hilton made two key catches for 21 yards. Nate Poole caught four passes, including one for the go-ahead touchdown. Reserve running back Aaron Stecker gained 10 and 14 yards on his two touches.

Ten receivers combined on the team's 20 receptions, and seven players carried the ball at least once. The balance was impressive: 44 runs, 38 passes.

"We're going to spread it around more this year," McAllister said. "Obviously teams are still going to have to stop myself, Joe and Aaron (Brooks), but they're also going to have to pay attention to Mike Karney in the flat or Ernie (Conwell) over the middle and the speed we have outside."

Spreading the wealth, Sheppard said, has a dual effect.

"It not only keeps all your guys involved, but it also keeps you from using your big-time guys up," he said. "In the fourth quarter, they're going to be fresher."

Look, I know it's preseason guys, but the Saints were effective against the Patsies 1st team Defense.

Not to take anything away from the Saints, but it is preseasons and I seriously doubt they will be effective in three months when we play again.

I think they have the makings of a nice offense, but I seriously doubt the Patriots D and their Offense will be as bad and as good in November. If they are, we are not contending for the East.

Archived