Refs admit Steelers should have won.

PhinHater

what they admitted was that it should've been a 17-10 or 18-10 final but they're not fixing it because the game was rigged.

Don't get me started.. this bull**** already cost me 3 bills tonight. It' taking every ounce of self control I have to not chase on the game tomorrow..

Another one too was the interception early in the game that the Steelers picked

off. The guy DID get his hand under the ball but when his other hand was going

to grab it and he was coming down the ball DID touch the ground between his

arms.

Another one too was the interception early in the game that the Steelers picked

off. The guy DID get his hand under the ball but when his other hand was going

to grab it and he was coming down the ball DID touch the ground between his

arms.

idk that was a tough call that couldve gone either way IMO, you cant call the refs out on a call like

So was the game rigged?

Steelers are called for 13 penalties for 113 yds; the Chargers 1 false start penalty for 5 yards. So the whole game San Diego didn't commit a single inappropriate block? No one on San Diego held anyone on offense or defense all game? Plus taking back the TD on a phantom forward lateral that everyone could see never happened?

San Diego turned the ball over 2x. Pittsburgh zero.

San Diego had barely 200 yards of offense. Pittsburgh over 400.

Time of possession was equally lopsided with Pittsburgh holding the ball a full 15 minutes longer than San Diego.

And they even got a safety on top of that.

And with the point spread around -4.5, San Diego somehow covers after that ridiculous callback? The game is over. There is no earthly reason to review that play. Even if it's reviewed, I couldn't see any "forward lateral" that SD allegedly committed. The refs know the game is over whether there's a penalty or not. So why review it?

Hey I wanted SD to win, but this smells dirty.

I don't know about any widespread thing, but this game was just over the top.

What do they care if the Steelers pad their score on the final play? The game is over. Even if they want to look at it, there was no justification for calling it back.

Because points and TDs can be used to break ties in playoff scenarios. This is why the refs would bother to look at the play:

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
  2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
  3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
  4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
  5. Strength of victory.
  6. Strength of schedule.
  7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
  8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
  9. Best net points in common games.
  10. Best net points in all games.
  11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

I know all that. But refs aren't making a call or not based on cumulative points scored on the season. It was bizarre.

Have you ever seen a last play of the game, that didn't affect who the winner/loser was, called back or reviewed in the years you've been watching football? How about then after reviewing and even though no one could see a forward lateral, they not only call one, but determine that there was "conclusive evidence" that should overturn a call on the field?

C'mon.

I know all that. But refs aren't making a call or not based on cumulative points scored on the season. It was bizarre.

Have you ever seen a last play of the game, that didn't affect who the winner/loser was, called back or reviewed in the years you've been watching football? How about then after reviewing and even though no one could see a forward lateral, they not only call one, but determine that there was "conclusive evidence" that should overturn a call on the field?

C'mon.

The call was terrible... the reason for reviewing was justified IMO.

The call was terrible... the reason for reviewing was justified IMO.

I didn't say that a review was unjustified. But rather it's just not done when it doesn't affect the outcome (unless you're talking about something so absurdly blatant). But there was no reason to overturn a correct call on the field.

SD had 1 penalty all game. Every other play was a Pitt infraction.

Goodell must be a NE and SD fan.:lol:

It's probably due to incompetence & not a fix. I roll my eyes at all that stuff. But that was really bizarre to overturn a clean play when the replay didn't show anything different.

This has nothing to do with Goodell, regardless.

That NO TD call was total crap. Especially since it was the last play of the game, with a booth only review. Since Pittsburgh is the victor with or without the call, Goodell and the NFL shoul man up and get some balls, and award the 6 pts. to Pittsburgh. Because when it comes to awarding playoff spots, should Pittsburgh lose out on the POINTS SCORED tiebreaker, the problem just gets bigger.

Plus the fact on the betting standpoint, the game SURE LOOKS DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So was the game rigged?

Steelers are called for 13 penalties for 113 yds; the Chargers 1 false start penalty for 5 yards. So the whole game San Diego didn't commit a single inappropriate block? No one on San Diego held anyone on offense or defense all game? Plus taking back the TD on a phantom forward lateral that everyone could see never happened?

Time of possession was equally lopsided with Pittsburgh holding the ball a full 15 minutes longer than San Diego.

And with the point spread around -4.5, San Diego somehow covers after that ridiculous callback? The game is over. There is no earthly reason to review that play. Even if it's reviewed, I couldn't see any "forward lateral" that SD allegedly committed. The refs know the game is over whether there's a penalty or not. So why review it?

yeah, it was a real conspiracy. :rolleyes:

C'mon.

because every play no matter the first or last or in a 1 point game or a 50 point game should be reviewed if it is deemed necessary.

as for people betting on the game and losing out, if the play would have standed with no review, people on the other side of the fence would have been ****ed too. you gotta review the call, its common sense.

The way the officials handled that call was completely bizarre. Not only was the play called a TD on the field, it was also confirmed as a TD by the ref after review. Then, for some mysterious reason, the refs huddle up again and decide to take the TD away.

Has this ever happened in the NFL before? TD on the field, TD after review, refs huddle up and take TD away for no apparent reason...

whether you bet on the game or not, the NFL and refs blew the whole situation. Since it automatically supposed to be reviewed anyway in the final 2 minutes, how don't the refs get that call right!! ANY CAVEMAN COULD DO IT!!!!

And as I said before if the Steelers get screwed in a tiebreaker by the Points Scored rule, that would just not be right, just because the Zebras are incompetent!!!!!

So was the game rigged?

yes, it was rigged.

The way the officials handled that call was completely bizarre. Not only was the play called a TD on the field, it was also confirmed as a TD by the ref after review. Then, for some mysterious reason, the refs huddle up again and decide to take the TD away.

Has this ever happened in the NFL before? TD on the field, TD after review, refs huddle up and take TD away for no apparent reason...

The worst part, and I read this on another baord, is that the ref in question got this call right in a preseason game.

So, even if the first pass was forward, because it didn't hit the ground, the Steelers have the right to decline the call..

The worst part, and I read this on another baord, is that the ref in question got this call right in a preseason game.

So, even if the first pass was forward, because it didn't hit the ground, the Steelers have the right to decline the call..

Exactly, and he actually got the call right twice during this game too. He called it a TD initially, then he came out of the booth after review, said there was an illegal forward pass, the penalty is declined, TD. Then, for some unknown reason the refs huddle up and take the TD away even though they correctly called it a TD twice.

This was actually huge for me (maybe). My team laid an egg in fantasy against a bad team, and this TD would have put me down going into tonight, and he has Lynch to my noone, so a guaranteed loss. While I still probably lose, Lynch actually has to contribute for me to lose now (7.34)

What is even crazier is that the ref on the field called it a TD AFTER the review. He came out said it was a forward pass, penalty declined, the result of the play is a TD. Then they announced the game was over which had everyone scratching their heads and then they took the points off the board.

DOn't know much about this guy, but this definitely swung in favor of the bookies..

http://pregame.com/forums/blogs/rj-bell/archive/2008/11/16/bookies-win-millions-bettors-lose-on-bad-steelers-call.aspx

Bookies Win Millions, Bettors Lose on Bad Steelers Call

An Estimated $64 Million Swing in Favor of Bookies

Las Vegas (November 16, 2008) - The Pittsburgh Steelers were 5 point favorites over the San Diego Chargers on Sunday. As time expired, the Steelers scored a touchdown to put them up by 7, with the extra point pending. Then came a video review. The official initially announced the ruling on the field was upheld and the touchdown counted. But the officiating crew huddled again and changed the call - taking the points off the board without explanation. The game was ended with Pittsburgh the 11 to 10 winner. Pittsburgh bettors lost. After the game, the official admitted that a mistake was made, and the touchdown should have counted.

An estimated 100 million dollars was wagered worldwide on the Pittsburgh/San Diego game, according to RJ Bell of Pregame.com. Approximately 66% of that money was on the Steelers; with only 34% on the Chargers.

"If the touchdown was properly upheld, Steelers bettors would have won about 32 million dollars instead of losing big. This admittedly incorrect call resulted in a 64 million dollar swing in favor of the bookies," said RJ Bell of Pregame.com.

MEDIA NOTE: Print, radio, TV, and Internet media should feel free to quote any information above. Please attribute: RJ Bell of Pregame.com. For follow-up questions, or media appearances, email: rjbell@pregame.com

Three things:

1) Phinhater-big time fail on the thread title LOL

2) With CTM's posting of the article noting that there was a $64 million swing in favor of the bookies because of the blown TD call, coupled with the 13-1 penalties against the Steelers, makes you seriously wonder in the Refs were on the take in this one.

3) What a horrible lateral. Seriously, who the hell throws the ball UP in the air on a lateral? That last one which led to the TD was ridiculous execution. The player had time to make a real lateral. Heck he could have actually thrown it behind him. Instead, he heaves up a jump ball to an OLineman. Idiotic.

Archived