Cassel Caveat; Jets in worst cap situation for 2009

ProFootballTalk.com

A CASSEL CAVEAT

Posted by Mike Florio on November 17, 2008, 8:25 a.m.

Of the teams that receive mentions in the ongoing discussion regarding the 2009 destination of Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel, the Jets present the most intriguing possibility.

The defection of Cassel from the Pats to the Jets would further that whole Fredo vibe that

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cassell? High end free agent? Seriously?

If Aaron Rodgers after seven games can get 6 years, $65 million imagine what Cassel will be able to get after 16, possibly more games. Welcome to todays NFL where anyone who has a couple of nice starts is the second coming of Montana.

Cassell? High end free agent? Seriously?

maybe not right now. but if he continues to improve he could well be sought after.

he showed the pats,(with the help of our no rush D) that he can throw the ball & they'll prolly open up the playbook a lot more moving forward.

again I think this is based on him continuing to improve

how soon the press crowns Cassel as the next Manning...lol Ask the browns about dereck Anderson.. I do think that a team like the Vikings will try to get him.. But I seriously doubt that we would try. So I am glad we dont have the room so we cant even entertain it.

If Aaron Rodgers after seven games can get 6 years, $65 million imagine what Cassel will be able to get after 16, possibly more games. Welcome to todays NFL where anyone who has a couple of nice starts is the second coming of Montana.

maybe not right now. but if he continues to improve he could well be sought after.

he showed the pats,(with the help of our no rush D) that he can throw the ball & they'll prolly open up the playbook a lot more moving forward.

again I think this is based on him continuing to improve

I'll politely pass, thank you.

I was wondering if Patriots might do something preemptive for Cassell.

Whether it is tagging or trying to sign him to a one year guranteed contract.

the Lions or some foolish team would open up the bank

he knows brady will be starter so he may as well cash in.

As soon as somene lays the lumber on him, the running will end soon

the Lions or some foolish team would open up the bank

he knows brady will be starter so he may as well cash in.

As soon as somene lays the lumber on him, the running will end soon

True.

That is why the Patriots should franchise him. Allow them to try and receive some compensation for developing him.

Theres NO WAY NE would ever let Fredo have a chance at getting Cassel. NONE.

Franchise and trade if Brady is ready to go. If Brady isnt, TB has always been amiable to restructuring his contract for the good of the teams cap if Cassel is the guy in 09.

NE franchised and traded Tebucky Jones. Cassel is worth way more.

Theres NO WAY NE would ever let Fredo have a chance at getting Cassel. NONE.

Franchise and trade if Brady is ready to go. If Brady isnt, TB has always been amiable to restructuring his contract for the good of the teams cap if Cassel is the guy in 09.

NE franchised and traded Tebucky Jones. Cassel is worth way more.

Not sure pats could take cap hit, the top 5 average QBS make how much?

Only guy I worry about signing is Leon Washington. Meantime, let's enjoy the ride that is 2008.

Ratliff and Ainge can fight it out in camp if Favre doesn't come back.Cassell's long passes look a lot like Pennington's. No thanks. Let someone else watch that.

Signing Cassel to a big FA deal would be absolutely idiotic for the NYJ.

The Jets blitzed 5 freakin' times in 31 second-half plays on Thursday, and with no more than 5 players. The continued sucking of Cassel's dick after playing well against such a vanilla defense is ridiculous.

He hasn't started or showed enough to be a QB that you can depend on.

True, but go look at history.

What did Rob Johnson do before getting a ridiculous contract?

Ditto Aaron Rodgers. Chad Pennington.

Rodgers signed a 6 year-65 million dollar extension.

I would not be surprised if Cassell got something similar.

The Packers signed Rodgers because he's their franchise QB. He at least showed signs of being a good QB against the Dallas game.

And it doesn't hurt to learn behind Brett Favre and I'm not just saying that because he's a Jet.

The Packers signed Rodgers because he's their franchise QB. He at least showed signs of being a good QB against the Dallas game.

And it doesn't hurt to learn behind Brett Favre and I'm not just saying that because he's a Jet.

And playing behind Tom Brady is bad how?

He looked good against a team that was up by 17. Sound familiar?

There are only a few differences between Cassel and Rodgers. Other then a college resume, they both sat behind future HofF QBs for three years before becoming a starter. Both have put up good numbers.

Other then their current situation, there is no reason bot to expect Cassell to receive a similar (slightly lower) contract.

Is this Jeopardy? Rob Johnson? Aaron Rodgers? Chad Pennington?I'm buzzing in, Alec:

What are three contracts I would not want to have on my team?

Chad Pennington and Aaron Rodgers were both first round picks and those large contracts were signed with the teams that had already invested the first round pick into those players.

Little different situation, those QB's were considered the franchise QB from the second they were drafted. Cassell was looking at being a career backup.

for being 6-4 with WW and RAndy moss on the team?

He also showed that in three years as a back-up that he could come down with two season ending injuries... as a BACK-UP! He got a freakin contract extenstion for almost $11 million a year over six years after SEVEN NFL starts. Aaron Rodgers had proved nothing. He wasn't even playing anywhere near 2002 Chad Pennington level. He now has the same exact team, Brett Favre had last season go 13-3, at 5-5.

Archived