Bring in the Clowney. There aught to be Clowney

sirlancemehlot

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Maybe next year.

Please sit Stuckey this week. He good, but not real good. And Clowney goes downfield fast. Secret weapons are hard to come by this late in the season. What the hell are we waiting for?

Maybe the Jets feel like they dont need him. We are #1 in the AFC East and I believe 3rd in the entire AFC. You're right, potential players are hard to come by this late in the season...but lets just say that we have one. Wouldnt it be better to keep it a hold off on it since the team IS in such a good rythem right now? Besides, I believe that the Jets have too off the hook players sitting on their bench right now in clowney and Ratliff. I'd love to see that in a reg sea or playoff game.

Imagine that Ratliff and Clowney are just sitting in the background simply developing chemistry amongst. Now we all know that both Favre and Coles are going to retire soon. We have probably the best #2 WR in the league in Cotchery, Imagine if Ratliff and Clowney are the real deals. We just got our new QB and possibly a New #1 WR sitting on our bench. We would dominate easily in the NFL for the next 5 years. We have alot of young linemen, young WR's, HB (washington), TE, secondary and LB's. Maybe we're up for what Boston was able to enjoy with the Patriots reign...

Mangini may actually be a f#cking genius!

He didnt go from ballboy to head coach for nothing. He really seems like he's getting things under control. Doing that in 3 years isnt bad. We could possibly have a HOF coach on our hands as well.

If Clowney was better then Stuckey he'd play.

and wreck chemistry with the team? Every football expert in the world said that Vince Young is much better than Kerry Collins during the preseason, Week 11 the same guys are saying that they would not switch Kerry Collins to put in Vince Young right now. Its all about chemistry. Clowney could be better but he will mess up the chemistry of the offense.

and wreck chemistry with the team? Every football expert in the world said that Vince Young is much better than Kerry Collins during the preseason, Week 11 the same guys are saying that they would not switch Kerry Collins to put in Vince Young right now. Its all about chemistry. Clowney could be better but he will mess up the chemistry of the offense.

I had it in the back of my mind that the reason they weren't using clwney

wasthat they wanted to spring him on the Pats last Thursday nite but that didn't happen.

I have to agree that chemistry is what's keeping him off the field now.

It looks like favre has developed a rhythm with Coles,Cotch and Keller. Rarely

does he throw to any other tight end or WR now. If that's what works let it be.

Maybe it is possible that Stuckey is playing because he is better than Clowney? All that we know about Clowney is that he is faster than a bunch of third string defensive backs.

I don't think there are too many 1st string defensive backs that can run faster than 4.28.

Alright, you guys got me. A message board of casual football fans definitely know more about this team then its head coaches do.

Football is not nuclear science. Football players are generally pretty dumb (see Donovan McNabb). Coaches are ex-football players. Don't be overly impressed by them.

And many of us are hardly casual fans. I do very well in the business world. A job that none of these coaches could probably do. If I put half the interest and energy in my work as I do football, I'd be retired by now.

Just saying ...

Football is not nuclear science. Football players are generally pretty dumb (see Donovan McNabb). Coaches are ex-football players. Don't be overly impressed by them.

And many of us are hardly casual fans. I do very well in the business world. A job that none of these coaches could probably do. If I put half the interest and energy in my work as I do football, I'd be retired by now.

Just saying ...

And you couldn't coach, so whats your point.

If Mangini and the rest of the staff thought Clowney was better then Stuckey, he'd be out there. Out running round 7's and undrafted free agents in the 4th quarter is hardly enough to justify Clowney starting on this team. Get Real.

And you couldn't coach, so whats your point.

If Mangini and the rest of the staff thought Clowney was better then Stuckey, he'd be out there. Out running round 7's and undrafted free agents in the 4th quarter is hardly enough to justify Clowney starting on this team. Get Real.

Your faith in our coaching staff is admirable. Just answer me these two questions:

1. If Eric Smith did not get hurt, would Elam being playing now?

2. Is Elam not significantly better than Smith?

If the answers are no and yes, which they should be, please explain why we should have blind faith in Mangini's judgement?

**** those questions.

Answer me this, Do you really think you could do a better job than Mangini?

Sure, ignore real questions that cut through the crap and get to the heart of it.

To truthfully answer your question - yes, even though I have never been a water boy.

Well thats why I didn't answer your questions. Mangini has this team in 1st place, but some dude on a forum can definitely do a better job.

Well time to stop bickering over David Clowney and start watching some film, coach.

I think the Jets are in 1st place despite Mangini. But what do I know? I am just a dumb fan. Maybe even Jeff Fisher would have lost to the Raiders and barely beat the Chiefs with this talent.

Stuckey > Clowney

Talk to me after Clowney records his first career NFL reception. There is a reason why he hasn't seen the field in regular season game throughout his entire career. My gut tells me that the scouting reports of him being too brittle and not having very good hands are correct.

Stuckey has hands made of glue, can take a hit going across the middle of the field, and has come up clutch in critical spots. Clowney has not proven anything thus far.

Stuckey > Clowney

Talk to me after Clowney records his first career NFL reception. There is a reason why he hasn't seen the field in regular season game throughout his entire career. My gut tells me that the scouting reports of him being too brittle and not having very good hands are correct.

Stuckey has hands made of glue, can take a hit going across the middle of the field, and has come up clutch in critical spots. Clowney has not proven anything thus far.

I don't know why people are assuming Clowney has to replace Stuckey. Do we need 2 kickers? Do we need 4 QBs? Is Wright that sensational at kick coverage that we can't take a chance on a guy who might be able to stretch the field?

I don't know why people are assuming Clowney has to replace Stuckey. Do we need 2 kickers? Do we need 4 QBs? Is Wright that sensational at kick coverage that we can't take a chance on a guy who might be able to stretch the field?

Replacing Stuckey was the suggestion in the original post.

Clowney is already on the roster, so the 2 kickers and 4 QB's argument is moot. It's all about the ACTIVE roster on game day, and the Jets are not putting all of their kickers and QB's on the active roster.

To answer your question about Wright...yes, he has been sensational and it would be absolutely idiotic for Mangini to take him off the active roster. I believe he leads the entire NFL in special teams tackles.

boland says

Comment From StuckinReno]

Erik, great work as always. I think the O needs to mix it up quite a bit, play some smashmouth and spread it out at times. Not back down, but use the speed to their advantage. That said, do you think Clowney will finally get activated this week?

stuckinreno, thanks for reading and participating.

not to be short with you, but no. i think clowney, unless there's an injury ahead of him, isn't going to see the field this season. i understand the numbers thing with not having too many WRs active for a game, but his speed is something i really would like to see out there.

Your faith in our coaching staff is admirable. Just answer me these two questions:

1. If Eric Smith did not get hurt, would Elam being playing now?

2. Is Elam not significantly better than Smith?

If the answers are no and yes, which they should be, please explain why we should have blind faith in Mangini's judgement?

1) Very possibly. Elam was the starter when the season ended last year. He was working with the first team the first week of camp. His older brother was murdered one week into camp. It was his third sibling murdered in gang related violence. he missed 3 weeks of camp because of the tragedy. I am sure he was a bit distracted. Perhaps Mangini wisely decided the kids mind was not going to be on football. At 23 years old it might take a bit of time to get over your two brothers and a sister being murder.

2) yes

Just for your information. The fact that we have 2 kickers and 4 QB's on the roster have no bearing on whether Clowney is on the game day roster. Clowney is on the team roster, but is not active for the game. Only one kicker is active, and 2 QB's. A third QB is an emergency QB. if he is brought in the other two can not return to the game

Ainge was IR'd a couple of weeks ago, so they haven't been carrying 4 QBs. The real question is how many receivers you think they can use? Sure Smith is dinged, but Stuckey has been pretty good, has a few scores and had a big first down this week. With Keller coming on they are less likely to use the extra WR. They aren't going to go with too many 4-6 WR sets and they went away from the spread since it nearly killed Favre in Oakland. IMO any plays they run for Clowney would be taking away from Keller and Washington, so I don't see why you guys would be so fired up too see Clowney.

Yeah, right. And if Eric Smith didn't get hurt, do you think Elam would be playing right now? Any doubt that Elam is better than that clown?

Don't put too much faith in Mangini.

As the JI boys would say "+1"

This is why i'm happy as a pig in **** that we have gholston and he is not sitting in New England. You know damn well BB would have coached that SOB up and he'd be in the running for DROY.

Coming from the dude with "Brett Ratliff Fan Club" under his name. People get way to into rooting for the under dog, and in this case its back ups and practice squad players. You really think Mangini has it out for these guys or something?

All we've had out of Gholston thus for is excuses. I'm over Gholston, never thought much of him in the first place. If he pans out, lucky me. Will he? Doubt it.

As the JI boys would say "+1"

This is why i'm happy as a pig in **** that we have gholston and he is not sitting in New England. You know damn well BB would have coached that SOB up and he'd be in the running for DROY.

I assume you are basing this on how well Belichick has "coached up" the 18 players taken in the 2006 and 2007 draft.

I believe 3 are still on the roster.

They did get very lucky with Mayo

Well, Maybe next year.

Please sit Stuckey this week. He good, but not real good. And Clowney goes downfield fast. Secret weapons are hard to come by this late in the season. What the hell are we waiting for?

he has to show something in practice. it is up to clowney to prove he deserves the PT

We haven't had 2 kickers and 4 QBs activated every Sunday. For someone who thinks he can coach a better game than Mangini, I figured you would probably know this kind of vital thing about the workings of a pro football team. (By the way, Ainge is now IR'd)

And yes, Wright is just that valuable on kick coverage. Watch the games. He is just as responsible for opposing teams' field position as Leon is for our return field position, if not moreso (since teams try to take Leon out of STs play with touchbacks and squibbing while we don't have a kicker with a leg good enough to take the opposition's return men out with touchbacks, just squibbing.) He's in on about 80% of coverage plays if not more. He knows how to avoid blocks while staying in his lanes and is a tremendous tackler for a wideout.

You were, however, correct about Clowney not having to replace Stuckey's roster spot on Sunday. All they would have to do is insert him into plays that he is effective in during practices. I knock this CS a lot, but they give a fair chance to players who perform well in practice. If Clowney isn't doing well in practice, he's not going to see the playing field.

We don't need to bench good contributors for a glorified track star that had some electrifying preseason plays due to blown coverage by another team's scrubs. I seem to remember McDroppins had a lot of great catches in preseason, too.

Ugh, here we go with the Clowney love again.

He made some catches vs some scrubs in the preseason, get over it. He's nothing special.

The reason people are going on about him is that Favre already knows him from Green Bay and he is the fastest receiver we have, one of the fastest in the league.

Everyone would just love to see this guy outrun his defender and have Favre lay it right into him.

Archived