Steroid Use

villain_the_foe

For some reason I wanted to make a thread out of the current situation that we all love to talk about, the jets having a great season :headbang:.

I thought of steriod use. We've seen alot of steriod use in virtually every category of sports. What do you all have to say on this? I feel that if the leagues wanted to really eliminate steriod use and "cheating" that they would really take some measures on stopping it...yet it seems like steriod use is rampid.

We tend to always look at it on an Athletes perspective. We know that the athlete is the direct source of the action, but thats where we tend to stop trying to eliminate the use of steriods. Many of these athletes are coming from a very low income situations to consider offerings, millions of dollars to strut their individual talent. Many individuals know that this is the work that they are going to do for the rest of their lives given that amount of money involved; but more importantly they are going to be a liability in the success or failure of a football team.

I would have thought that for the sake of the integrity of the game as well as the safety of its players that the NFL would taken measures much more seriously than simply fining and/or suspending its players for steriod use.

Wouldnt the easiest way to make sure that football teams are not cheating is to penalize the football team if they have players using steriods? I think that the owners would want to clean up their situation immediately because the repercussion to that illegal rule would not be taken out on the player but on the organization for not obeying the rules.

This would put the NFL in a situation where its entire structure would have to seriously do something about this. This is a very violent game, but I have to admit, some of the hits have I've seen laid on a player this year have been seriously over the top. Football has never hit like this before on such a consistent level...there has to be a reason for this.

Thoughts...

Makes sense. Considering teams can get fined if they players break the code of conduct, they should be as equally (if not more) responsible for steroid use as this provides a direct competitive advantage.

exactly, I believe that we'd see a more proactive and serious approach to seeing the NFL really put a stop to steriod use.

exactly, I believe that we'd see a more proactive and serious approach to seeing the NFL really put a stop to steriod use.

players would still try to cheat regardless of where the penalties are. just look at the pay difference b/w practice squad and active roster.

if someone told you that you could make $1M more at your job and all you had to do was inject yourself 2x a week for 12 weeks what would you do?

players would still try to cheat regardless of where the penalties are. just look at the pay difference b/w practice squad and active roster.

if someone told you that you could make $1M more at your job and all you had to do was inject yourself 2x a week for 12 weeks what would you do?

Thats a very good point but it doesn't validate steroid use or give a reasonable excuse for using them. Players MUST be able to determine right from wrong and ALWAYS choose right. That and the money given is the reward for choosing right IMO.

What you're saying doesnt present a solution. It only states the issue. Franchises know that steriods really work. Many of these teams could be purposely ignoring the situation and taking advantage of the player and the drug until the player is caught, knowing that the franchise wont be penalized.

If we can let teams ride with never getting penalized for what their players do then how could we ever argue with coaches taping games and nothing happening to the franchise? The issue is only being covered up in my opinion. It doesnt seem like the NFL is really trying to prohibit the use of steriods.

Archived